Poll: Does your N900 have GPS problems?
Poll Options
Does your N900 have GPS problems?

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Not happy with the map software compared to N810. The stupid, crazy offliine behavior hasn't been fixed yet.

Don't complain about the GPS receiver though. You can not expect that the radio pereformance from these tiny modules will be comparable to dedicated gps devices.
Given many cell phones manufacturers are positioning themselves to replace stand-alone GPS units, I don't think expecting comparable GPS performance is out of line. Google maps on the droid is intended to replace any stand-alone GPS as far as I can tell.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin TX
Tried it with an AT&T sim card & it worked fine & fast. It appears to be an issue with the combo of t-mobile 3G data & n900.

AGPS fix is pretty fast .. 2 or 3 seconds ....

Non assisted GPS .. got it for the first time yesterday .. but only by using eCoach to get a GPS fix and then launching the Maps application ..

will reconfirm at a different location just to verify if some cache was not playing a role in it ..

hopeless indoors, but great outdoors, even tracking a moving car.

I just sold my samsung omnia hd i8910 and le't me tell you gps fix 10 seconds with google maps and with garmin mobile xt also 10 seconds evan indoor never have any problem but with nokia n900 i can evan compare the gps is usless maybe with other software is good but with ovi maps ****

The Following User Says Thank You to smolomiami For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Boston, Ma
Hi,

I purchased a Nokia N900 here in the US. I started using it on the AT&T network and assisted GPS worked without any problems.

I changed to T-mobile and now A-GPS is not working. If I swap the simcard to AT&T, A-GPS does work. If I connected via wifi or GPRS, it does not work for my N900

Therefore, I beleive that my N900 is not receiving cell tower location data from T-mobile towers. It can successfully from AT&T towers, so not sure what the difference is. I don't think it's a data connection problem when contacting the location server using wifi or gprs as I can successfully perform other web functions.

Anybody have any ideas or advice on how I can resolve this problem?

Thanks!

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Strive_Masiwa View Post
Tried it with an AT&T sim card & it worked fine & fast. It appears to be an issue with the combo of t-mobile 3G data & n900.
Please look at this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...843#post429843

It may help you (it helped me...)

The Following User Says Thank You to hypnotik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
Please look at this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...843#post429843

It may help you (it helped me...)
You gonna kidding me, I replaced the "supl.nokia.com" with "supl.google.com:7276", it locked in front of my eye. I do have internet connected. No, I have not installed ecoach.
This is an important find. Thank you,

bun

Hey guys just a heads up...

"In your gps.conf, add:

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276

It should be OK to use this for testing, but if you want to ship a
phone using this server you will need to talk to us first.

Mike "

http://groups.google.com/group/andro...7972f7acd01452

So, honestly this should still be reported as a bug or misfeature or 'gee it would be swell if nokia had a supl server in the US that worked reliably' thing instead of using a google supl server that might not exist in the future...

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Someone want to open a bug up, if not I'll open one later this afternoon.