Notices

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I experience this also, but only when the 720p codecs are present.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by xes View Post
.....hum.... with the build of libgstdsp based on latest sources it seems to be some issue while recording video.... (black screen after some second and then hang of the app)

Please verify this and report.

@freemangordon
I would like to complete the camera-ui interface preparing the icons for the new resolutions settings.
Is it sufficient to prepare the icons and put in the right folders or it is necessary to rebuild the app?
(in this case which are the expected names?)
Please make sure you are building libgstdsp.so with DSP_API=1 and SN_API=1.

re camera-ui - it is better to clone and test upstream(in CSSU) first, there are lots of changes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
.....hum.... with the build of libgstdsp based on latest sources it seems to be some issue while recording video.... (black screen after some second and then hang of the app)

Please verify this and report.

@freemangordon
I would like to complete the camera-ui interface preparing the icons for the new resolutions settings.
Is it sufficient to prepare the icons and put in the right folders or it is necessary to rebuild the app?
(in this case which are the expected names?)
...It works for me...please supply dmesg, syslog and verification of error with no hacks, mods, tweaks etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Please make sure you are building libgstdsp.so with DSP_API=1 and SN_API=1.

re camera-ui - it is better to clone and test upstream(in CSSU) first, there are lots of changes.
Ooops.. Thanks! I didn't specified these parameters..
I apologize to those who installed the previous one, here the new build (verified video recording - built inside the N900 for max optimization).

Concerning camera-ui, does it already exist some development deb in sync with the cssu git?
Attached Files
File Type: zip libgstdsp.so_jpeg97_HD_20111221.zip (57.9 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by xes; 2011-12-21 at 23:56. Reason: add detail

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 856 | Thanked: 1,681 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Aleppo ,Syria
@freemangordon

https://meego.gitorious.org/maemo-mu...dsp/trees/HEAD
is this the source if the stock libgstdsp.so ?

i want to build a new lib with quality improved (unmodified with any 720p patches) to use with (ABC) app

Please build it in .deb

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Ooops.. Thanks! I didn't specified that parameters..
I apologize to those who installed the previous one here the new build (verified video recording).

Concerning camera-ui, does it already exist some development deb in sync with the cssu git?
No, you should build it from sources, but please, do not distribute the .debs, I hope next CSSU update will be soon and it will be there.

May I ask you to make a MR against my repo, to keep all the pieces together.

@all - I am about to finish a kernel patch against KP which will allow zerocopy DMA between camera driver, dspbridge driver and OMAP framebuffer(will explain what that means).

I think I found the reason for stutter in recorded videos. AIUI it is the memory copying between different elements in gstreamer pipeline. The recording process is similar to the following(simple descrption):

1. camera(isp) driver captures a frame in an user supplied buffer
2. this bufer is send to all elements in the gstreamer video capture pipeline
3. xvimagesink (the previewer element) copies that buffer into OMAP framebuffer for displaying

I am intentionaly leaving gst-dsp aside, AIUI it does not do memory copy, thus no performance loss.

The problem is that for 1280x720 the frame size is about 2 MB and that should be copied fps times every second, leading to big performance loss. Even for lower resolution there is still a big amount of memory to be copied (because of higher fps), leading to choppy video and lower fps.

The solution to this is to give the camera driver buffer, which is a part of the framebuffer, so when capturing of the frame is complete , the data would not need to be copied , fb driver only needs one ioctl telling him where new frame starts. So no memory copying (i.e. zerocopy) of frame data.

Unfortunately our kernel is not grown enough to support that, so I am preparing a patch to overcome the limitation.

In addition I added XOverlay support to gst-omapfb (thanks again felipec). Will add support in camera-ui for gst-omapfb when it seems stable. And I plan to modify gst-dsp in such a way that it will support both stock and Harmatan DSP binaries.

By combining zerocopy with gst-omapfb i expect a HUGE difference in video smoothness/fps/battery consumtion while recording. Initial testing shows that MAYBE smooth 1280x720@30 is possible.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post
I don't agree here...i've n900 with 2204 revision and running comfortably without any reboot loop at..
Code:
720:45,480
805:49,520
850:52,560
900:54,600
950:57,600

vdd1=0 and vdd2=0
P.S.. i seldom go above 850 MHz...these results i just remember from previous tests conducted to find out the most stable settings for the recently introduced pali's kp49 and freemangordon's hd work (for which i am highly thankful to them)...
and reboots are b'coz some devices cant handle higher dsp rates at lower frequencies imho (mine is 1 of 'em)
Even at stock dsp is sometimes unstable with lower voltages.
increase voltage at lower frequences and check with higher dsp as see how much stable is.
I run always at 720:600 without reboots with vdd1 & vdd2 enable. VDD gives more battery life even if you lower the voltage to very low.Also run stable until 1100:600 without problem if you disable VDD1. Incrasing voltage solve overclocking problem over 900.

No, you should build it from sources, but please, do not distribute the .debs, I hope next CSSU update will be soon and it will be there.

@all - I am about to finish a kernel patch against KP which will allow zerocopy DMA between camera driver, dspbridge driver and OMAP framebuffer(will explain what that means).

I think I found the reason for stutter in recorded videos. AIUI it is the memory copying between different elements in gstreamer pipeline. The recording process is similar to the following(simple descrption):

1. camera(isp) driver captures a frame in an user supplied buffer
2. this bufer is send to all elements in the gstreamer video capture pipeline
3. xvimagesink (the previewer element) copies that buffer into OMAP framebuffer for displaying

I am intentionaly leaving gst-dsp aside, AIUI it does not do memory copy, thus no performance loss.

The problem is that for 1280x720 the frame size is about 2 MB and that should be copied fps times every second, leading to big performance loss. Even for lower resolution there is still a big amount of memory to be copied (because of higher fps), leading to choppy video and lower fps.

The solution to this is to give the camera driver buffer, which is a part of the framebuffer, so when capturing of the frame is complete , the data would not need to be copied , fb driver only needs one ioctl telling him where new frame starts. So no memory copying (i.e. zerocopy) of frame data.

Unfortunately our kernel is not grown enough to support that, so I am preparing a patch to overcome the limitation.

In addition I added XOverlay support to gst-omapfb (thanks again felipec). Will add support in camera-ui for gst-omapfb when it seems stable. And I plan to modify gst-dsp in such a way that it will support both stock and Harmatan DSP binaries.

By combining zerocopy with gst-omapfb i expect a HUGE difference in video smoothness/fps/battery consumtion while recording. Initial testing shows that MAYBE smooth 1280x720@30 is possible.
Is it wrong this gives me an epic boner?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:

..make a MR? Sorry, what do you mean?
The latest lib that i attached has been built with you latest sources (sync yesterday) from:
https://meego.gitorious.org/~freeman...mo5-hd-patches

-camera-ui-
WOW great news! ...I'll wait for the release of this new updates.

Thanks...

Last edited by xes; 2011-12-21 at 23:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera-ui, fremantle