Posts: 20 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Perfect/fully working UI for meego isn't needed on n900.. What's very important is for the UI to be implemented enough to use the core OS of meego for it's phone functionality. Maemo's UI is good enough already and suit the n900's design.
So how you gonna get maemos ui working for meego

Originally Posted by maemosboy View Post
So how you gonna get maemos ui working for meego
I didn't say we need to integrate it but instead to give the user an option whether to boot a device as a semi phone/mobile computer or as a full phone functionality. Like the trick of dual booting... If the user feels he needs the use of a mobile computer he/she just restarts n900 and boot to maemo. And if he/she thinks he needs some of the phone capabilities he/she just restarts and boots to an alpha release of meego with better phone support functions. "I hope"

And also... If maybe n900's desktop environment is open source maybe some people or maybe me can mod it to have full portrait auto rotational UI, and T9 keypad support for a start?

There are lot's of DE's on the wild but I can't mod it to support n900's phone capabilities since I don't have any idea yet how to. This is my first time encountering linux as a mobile phone so a reference for the existing DE would greatly help.

Last edited by Radicalz38; 2010-05-27 at 17:15.

Off topic - MeeGo for Atom works on my Asus EEE 1000H, the UI is interesting and not bad, but its generally slow ...

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Fiji Islands
As of right now, MeeGo v1.0 for Netbooks and v1.0 for Nokia N900 are available for download, with the former supporting Atom-based machines and the latter supporting... well, we'll let you take a stab there. The API that's being released includes Qt 4.6, and while the current SDK is tailored for netbooks, the next version -- slated to hit devs in June -- will support "touch-based devices, such as handsets and tablets." We're also told that v1.1 will be outed in October, with the development tree already being open.

SOURCE: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/26/m...e-to-download/

Last edited by mfr; 2010-05-27 at 21:00.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Has someone tested it yet? I saw that the N900 MeeGo images are available at http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/releases...0-open-armv7l/

Again again again again, the N900 image available is -ONLY- a console. It provides the basic libraries and filesystem, and a rudimentary X session that only shows a console.

The one you might want to play with will come out sometime next month or so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Can someone help me understand...

MeeGo 1.0 for N900 here is just MeeGo-Harmattan core right?

MeeGo 1.0 for Netbook is the actual Maemo / Moblin MeeGo.

These aren't the same MeeGo's right? Or if they're the same, can someone help me understand, thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Can someone help me understand...

MeeGo 1.0 for N900 here is just MeeGo-Harmattan core right?

MeeGo 1.0 for Netbook is the actual Maemo / Moblin MeeGo.

These aren't the same MeeGo's right? Or if they're the same, can someone help me understand, thanks.
No. MeeGo 1.0 for N900 and Netbook are the same MeeGo. Right now the N900 version doesn't have a User Interface/Experience (UI/UX). That will come later.

There is a separate project in another thread on these forums to bring MeeGo-Harmattan to the N900 once there is something from MeeGo-Harmattan that can start being ported.

MeeGo 1.1 will likely have the same interface as MeeGo-Harmattan (and thus, most users are probably going to think they are the same thing) - but they aren't the same OS. MeeGo-Harmattan is actually a Maemo base with a MeeGo compatible API stack (primarily, a full UI in QT and QT 4.6 support) - whereas MeeGo is a completely new OS.

(this is my understanding, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm mistaken.)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Sorry to be OT , but boy am I glad to see you lpotter ? Where have you been these so many days since your Zaurus forum managing days ?

Really a nice surpise to see you back in action now that QT is again front and center in Nokia's plans ...

Welcome.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
No. MeeGo 1.0 for N900 and Netbook are the same MeeGo. Right now the N900 version doesn't have a User Interface/Experience (UI/UX). That will come later.
I think I understand so you're saying MeeGo 1.0 for Netbooks has a UX layer but MeeGo 1.0 for N900 does not, and MeeGo-Harmattan is the UX layer (1.1) that will eventually go on terminal only MeeGo 1.0 for N900. And that the MeeGo core is the same in both instances.