Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I'd say "undocumented" (ragnar's comment notwithstanding) rather than "secret". Let's see what happens with #4619 over the next few days :-/
Woo-Hoo! That bug is up to 13 votes, that should get Nokia's attention.

Complaining on the forums works every time

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
-The Maemo browser has a specific gesture to activate text selection. Any application using the browser engine to render its own content can benefit from its gestures at will, including text selection.
I like that^ a lot... How many gestures? (If you can answer at this time. )

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
What is wrong with the Help system now? Yes I realize that not many developers use it, but that is not because of the system, but because of the developers developing for the platform.
To be honest, for the built-in apps the problem with the Help system is that the help is too superficial. It should be improved, not abandoned.

If I cast my mind back to my old Psion netbook, I DID use the help in that, because it really documented how to use the applications properly.

Graham

The Following User Says Thank You to gtallan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i guess the issue there is one of writing documentation rather then code...

Last edited by tso; 2009-06-11 at 16:05.

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Just to make it clear again. There is support for portrait mode in Fremantle and it is possible for everyone to use it.

My point was that it should be easier for developers to use it and that there are some bugs that should get fixed.

To review the whole process I made Conboy orientation aware yesterday. In the attached screenshot you can see the note selection / search window.

When in landscape mode, it will show two columns + a text field for searching. When rotated into portrait mode it will show only one column (because of space) and no search field (because (probably) not keyboard).
Attached Images

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
For the search, note that if you would have it in portrait mode then a portrait virtual keyboard would be also needed, and Maemo 5 doesn't come with that. But wait, note taking app in portrait mode without portrait keyboard?

So you start seeing that anyway Conboy fully working in portrait mode is more complex than just fine tuning a couple of widgets.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
For the search, note that if you would have it in portrait mode then a portrait virtual keyboard would be also needed, and Maemo 5 doesn't come with that. But wait, note taking app in portrait mode without portrait keyboard?
Check above in this thread for a request to reenable virtual input methods in Fremantle and a suggestion how this can be done without having to resize applications.

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Ähh?! I was writing exactly that. I removed the search field because there is no portrait keyboard.
For the rest of the application a note taking application has at least two use cases:
Writing and reading.
Reading notes is perfectly possible without having a keyboard. And also deleting notes would be possible if the confirmation dialog wouldn´t get crippled.

So you start seeing that anyway Conboy fully working in portrait mode is more complex than just fine tuning a couple of widgets.
I requote myself "My point was that it should be easier for developers to use it and that there are some bugs that should get fixed."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Check above in this thread for a request to reenable virtual input methods in Fremantle and a suggestion how this can be done without having to resize applications.
At least be clear. You make it sound like there are no virtual input methods in Fremantle (which is clearly not the case) when it was only the stylus keyboard which was dropped.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
At least be clear. You make it sound like there are no virtual input methods in Fremantle (which is clearly not the case) when it was only the stylus keyboard which was dropped.
Ok, to generalize, there should be an input method that lets you enter text without obscuring the application display. A semi-transparent full-screen keyboard should suffice (see somewhat ugly implementation for XTerm that can be refined for a general case).

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post: