Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
judging morality junky. now that is racism where i come from. calling someone that. where i come from the word racism isnt even in the dictionary. so if you feel offended, YOU are the *****hole. nevermind the question.

irrelevant, offtopic, slowchat, smalltalk, not right place to ask. okay sure, true. have a nice day
Great input.

Originally Posted by Devil View Post
joshua. you call bad looking apps buttafaces. how do you call white people. nothing racist provocing here. just... interested.. im kinda going to date a black girl see. and since once i go black i wont be able to go back or something like that i kinda think i should educate meself a little.

watched dave chapelle all afternoon for example.
f off..thats quite offensive.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
How about some incentives for the designers around similar to what nokia had for hackers? Say someone develops an app and then gets some of the people in design here to have a bit of a competition, this might open up the eyes of other developers as well.

What I think would be brilliant is to have a "designers corner" somewhere here where developers would simply go to get cool skins for their apps. I think this would add a lot to end-user experience of the apps. Sadly this may just be a dream...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freppas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by freppas View Post
How about some incentives for the designers around similar to what nokia had for hackers? Say someone develops an app and then gets some of the people in design here to have a bit of a competition, this might open up the eyes of other developers as well.

What I think would be brilliant is to have a "designers corner" somewhere here where developers would simply go to get cool skins for their apps. I think this would add a lot to end-user experience of the apps. Sadly this may just be a dream...
If you don't write up the brainstorm, I'll kill you! AWESOME IDEA!!

As for rhe racism/Chappelle talk, just judge that girl on her own merits. She's Black, not Martian. It is only a skin color, just like a hair color. My girlfriend is a White woman with blonde hair, and she's exactly like the red headed and brunette women I've dated: unique as individuals. Worry about getting to know her, not her culture. Not all Black people IN MY CITY are much alike, much less in the world. I'm not much like Bryant Gumble, Shaka Zulu, TuPac, or Al Sharpton. I'm the only christexaport, and she's the only her. Keep that in mind and she'll be your's forever if that's what you want. Chappelle will only teach you to be laughed at, and maybe that's not always the best idea.

Now back to the topic...

i think once the downloads increase and developers get involved, there will be more competition. Once that happens developers will be forced to differentiate, usability is one way to differentiate apps doing the same thing.

Im hoping for this especially once there are paid apps, which should not be as expensive as the s60 ones..

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Who else is Chris? Or did you mean Josh? Because I'm good with a pencil, but have zero graphical skills.

From what I'm hearing, we may be able to benefit from an extended library of widgets, buttons, etc. Is there a way we can do that? Joshua has some great skills, and this may be where he can help out.
My bad - Sorry Josh/Chris!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
Anyways, as for the original dilemma, I believe that problems could be solved if, as was previously suggested, developers start writing their code as to decouple the UI with the rest of the code. In this way, a developer can continue to add functionality to his program while leaving the art of design to the..well..designers.
You're surely not advocating a seperate presentation layer? LOL.

This is really how applications ought to be developed with a clear cut application logic library abstracted away from the UI logic. The other advantage is this is the Unix way - all plug together logic!

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
For Qt (and its bindings) a developer needs only become familiar with Designer. For GTK+, glade serves the same purpose. The only real problem that then remains is deploying to Maemo. While Qt at least allows you to select the "Maemo" style, the Maemo-specific widgets are not yet integrated into it. While it is possilbe to add custom widgets into Designer, that is a bit time consuming. As far as I know, the same holds true for GTK+ and Glade.
Writing 'skinable' applications is definately the best policy but the problem is that there is a lot of extra effort. Maybe this should be a developer/design hackfest to work out some mechanisms for skinning. That way we could have standard framework code that even junior developers could use and simply drop their control logic in the bits that doe something. Same for the UI designers - load the skin resources and a configuration file perhaps to define the makeup and everyone is happy!

Last edited by Fargus; 2009-12-10 at 16:24. Reason: Buggered up the quotation tags! Doh!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
[edit] Never bother to post a comment about something somebody said on page 2 of a 9 page thread. It wastes you time and everybody elses too.

Last edited by wizbowes; 2009-12-10 at 17:39.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
You're surely not advocating a seperate presentation layer? LOL.
Nah...what loser ever thought of MVC?

This is really how applications ought to be developed with a clear cut application logic library abstracted away from the UI logic. The other advantage is this is the Unix way - all plug together logic!
It definately makes it easier to make UI enhancements without jacking up the rest of the code.

Writing 'skinable' applications is definately the best policy but the problem is that there is a lot of extra effort. Maybe this should be a developer/design hackfest to work out some mechanisms for skinning. That way we could have standard framework code that even junior developers could use and simply drop their control logic in the bits that doe something. Same for the UI designers - load the skin resources and a configuration file perhaps to define the makeup and everyone is happy!
When you say skinable, I worry. While I don't mind programs giving users the ability to apply skins, I absolutely hate it when the only way for an application to look native is to choose the correct skin.

For example, firefox and vlc offer "native", versus "skinned" appearances, where Opera on the other hand, while having a "native" option in appearances, doesn't really look 100 % native. I won't even start on java apps....

Someone needs to enhance the design section of irreco. There's potential there for a non-technical skin creation tool. Functionality has been very decoupled from layout design.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
buttafaces, buttfaces