Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
PyQt could squeeze in on less (and into less conspicuous places), but sadly Qt takes it's space-toll in any case.
Yeah.. I guess I shouldn't place blame always on PyQt when it's PyQt + Qt both that take up the space. I don't think it's that bad on the N900 because it already has the base QT libs right? Or is it that the new QT libs are currently optified, but will be non-optified with PR1.2?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The latter. It seems they will put 4.6 in libq4-* (which will likely have a provides: libqt4-maemo5-* tag), and so 4.6 will get un-optified in PR1.2. Of the base libs, IIRC you have QtCore and QtXml installed in the PR.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
The latter. It seems they will put 4.6 in libq4-* (which will likely have a provides: libqt4-maemo5-* tag), and so 4.6 will get un-optified in PR1.2. Of the base libs, IIRC you have QtCore and QtXml installed in the PR.
What I question then is how much more space it will require. People already report that out of the box with nothing else installed they have something like 80MB free in rootfs..

A single update required 40MB.. meaning that's there very, very little wiggle room on that rootfs.

After installing PR1.2, can you think of any downsides to manually optifying the Qt stuff?

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
After installing PR1.2, can you think of any downsides to manually optifying the Qt stuff?
Long as you put the optified libs in a location the system knows about you should be fine, or symlinks back to I assume /usr/lib. Downside is that if they release a new version you will have to go through the process again
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Long as you put the optified libs in a location the system knows about you should be fine, or symlinks back to I assume /usr/lib. Downside is that if they release a new version you will have to go through the process again
I'm sure what you say is true, but then the truly bold should be able to optify the entire /usr directory and avoid redoing any symlinks. The only questions remaining would be the speed differences between the storage media and/or file system types.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
What I question then is how much more space it will require. People already report that out of the box with nothing else installed they have something like 80MB free in rootfs..

A single update required 40MB.. meaning that's there very, very little wiggle room on that rootfs.
I asked the same question on maemo-devel just a day ago and got the answer that I should excercise some patience and there is a Plan for this, presented in advance of the PR1.2 release.

Functional, no (apart from potential speed differences). The danger I can think of is that you risk future breakage (say, if they decide to optify or move the libs in a hipothetical PR1.3)

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 200 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ São Paulo - Brasil
Hey guys! What's with the proxy settings inside the config file for those who are not in the US?
Should it work the way it is? Cause it is not working here...

Any thoughts?

Thanx!

Originally Posted by rmarcus View Post
Hey guys! What's with the proxy settings inside the config file for those who are not in the US?
Should it work the way it is? Cause it is not working here...

Any thoughts?

Thanx!
It should work after you've put in the address a real proxy server into the config file. But I have not used it.

Pandora changed the api I guess. Could you recompile the new pianobar lib for us please.

The Following User Says Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post: