Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
I was accused of being a Jobs RDF victim, I'm just pointing out that there is definitely two fields crashing together here. It seems people based in the US have a tendency fall under Apple's influence (not all obviously) and European countries have an affluence towards Nokia products.

I myself try to be worldly and consider all my options. I import S60 devices and have purchased every iteration of the Internet Tablets. All said and done though, I end up disappointed, even if its just to affirm my decision in purchasing Apple products =p I prefer to have an informed opinion rather than a ignorant one. I'm also not opposed to using a product other than Apple's if its clearly superior. I have for many years.
Very well stated. All too often, people argue against products that they haven't even used. It's good to see that as you make your statements, you are informed on both products and have used them.

I personally haven't used a Nokia product prior to the n800 and it is a great device. Like you, I see it as a useful device but doesn't do everything I need it to do well. I will still be using it as sort of a laptop replacement when traveling and such but I will be getting an iphone.

To each his own...

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Going into General Antilles mode:

That statement makes no sense. So when my alternator went on my car it wasn't broken. I wasn't stuck on the side of the road. I did not have to get a battery boost to get to the shop and I did not have to pay 4 bills to get a replacement alternator put in. Nothing was broken.

Wow. I had no clue.
Haha, your reply made me laugh and like most jokes, it has truth in it. It comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer to look at the specs and "potential" of a device rather than what it can do out of the box, what kind of support is provided with it out of the box, etc.

This is one of the clear differences between an "apple fanboy" and "open source geek".

The majority of the public would prefer not to have to develop their own software or wait forever for things to be fixed. I'm somewhere in the middle. In college, I used to love a good late night rumble with linux in order to get something to work...now?...not so much. I don't have time for that...

To each his own...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Going into General Antilles mode:
Crap . . . I have a mode now? <_<

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Crap . . . I have a mode now? <_<
Oh please. We were even thinking of creating a Wikipedia article on it. Colleges are considering courses covering it. The US State Department is adopting aspects for diplomatic protocol.

"I have a mode now"... sheesh.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The US State Department is adopting aspects for diplomatic protocol.
That'd be good for a change. Let's go to UN hq and kick some noob posterior!

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
That'd be good for a change. Let's go to UN hq and kick some noob posterior!
I'm behind you all the way!

Far behind, but there nonetheless!

Only in the US.
Elsewhere it is VERY different.
Yes, here in Germany Nokia doesn't seem to need any advertisements lately.
They didn't even have a real booth on the CeBIT fair,
maybe because they had fear some of the fired employees from the Bochum plant would show up for a visit...

Sherifnix's comments are certainly valid, but they ignore the incredible success of Nokia-- which has occurred despite the flaws and misfires we could spend all year picking at.
I have to admit they have at least one good product, from the hardware side: the N810 . I can't judge about the other Nokia products.

However in Germany they seem to have lost much of their former good reputation, and nearly noone I was trying to talk about my N810 here in Germany during the last few weeks really wanted to know anything about it, since it was a Nokia.

Well closing a factory (and causing people to lose their livelihoods) after being paid to open one there isn't exactly the greatest thing you can do for PR.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
However in Germany they seem to have lost much of their former good reputation, and nearly noone I was trying to talk about my N810 here in Germany during the last few weeks really wanted to know anything about it, since it was a Nokia.
I was employed at the Nokia factory in the US that shut down, and almost got canned, too... so, yeah, I know first hand how those sentiments come about.

Off topic..but I read that the Android SDK has been downloaded 750,000 times compared to the Iphone SDK 100,000 times. The Android SDK has been out longer, but considering it's for devices that don't even exist yet puts things a bit in perpective.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamthewalrus For This Useful Post: