Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Ok does anyone understand the email folder screen?

I have 4 mails in my inbox on one of my accounts. No mails (read or unread) in any other folder. But the screen shows 2 for each of the other folders (outbox, deleted, sent and drafts)
If that's a POP account those are local emails, POP only has inbox folder by default, but if you are seeing a count for those folders that's a bug since count is only shown for unread emails, can you please explain better ?

Another account I have 6 read in my inbox but the folder screen shows none
Are they all read ?

POP is very broken protocol IMO, I wouldn't use is if there's an alternative, just my personal opinion

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Can anyone please verify whether idle XMPP usage (just being on-line) drains battery excessively or not? Preferably, use any server besides Google's. For a test it's enough to keep the status on-line all the time and see see how it affects the battery life.

Also, does Jitsi for Android work for XMPP/Jingle video/audio calls?
Charged and rebooted the phone last evening. After some two hours from that I switched WLAN on and XMPP online. 3gdata was still on and idling.

The server is OpenFire.

XMPP with WLAN. In 10 hours idle use battery dropped from 93% to 62%. This gives 3 percent drop per hour.

I switched to 3gdata battery at 39%. From that on after next six hours the battery showed 20%. This gives approximately same figure as on WLAN, eg. ~3% per hour, if the battery statistics are correct.

I think it is quite safe to say that plain XMPP in good radio conditions does not use too much power.

I tried Jitsi Android build 163 (maybe a month old nightly), and while I was able to call people inside the same network, when they answered the client simply hung up the call. I recall that this same thing happened earlier with Nexus 7 with the same version of Jitsi. So I'll have to test it later again with the latest build and both devices...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
Can anyone confirm if the Audio player supports gapless playback? Any audible gaps between track transitions that are meant to run together? I believe speculation was that gapless wouldn't be there based on the libraries used, but just curious.

Hoping Quasar MX comes to Jolla eventually.
Unfortunately gapless playback is not supported. It's in the backlog though

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Pulley menu -> Select emails -> select the emails you want to delete -> press trash can icon on the left bottom corner.

I'll take a look to POP delete issue, is that for any big email provider or your own server ?
My provider is a reasonable sized email provider.
The multi select and delete does not work.
I pull donw and chose se;lect emails. I then select them, then press the delete button at the bottom. The countdown bars starts at the top of the page and completes but the mail is still there. They will go if deleted one by one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post

You could still try this : http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

I know it says android file transfer, but it actually is an mtp app as Android these days has dropped mass-storage too. But I have been told the latest OS X update broke it. (I cannot tested it since I do not run/have broken-by-design software/hardware)

Otoh you could run an ftp/http server on the device and access things like that. At least http and ftp is something that Apple will not break.
I don't think that's ever ran particularly well on the Mac. It's always been an awful application regardless of which version of OSX I've tried it.

Apple doesn't support MTP as a protocol natively AFAIK - it's entirely Google's fault.

The other issue for Mac users is that I have to format my 64GB SD card as exFAT to use all the space but Jolla don't support exFAT. They do support EXT4 though but then the Mac doesn't support EXT4. Hmm.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
If that's a POP account those are local emails, POP only has inbox folder by default, but if you are seeing a count for those folders that's a bug since count is only shown for unread emails, can you please explain better ?
Ok, I'll try. I have three email accounts
Currently the first email screen shows a total of 15 unread and they appear below the accounts summary. This is correct and unread items (2 in that email account and 6 across all 3 accounts))don't affect the count. That's fine

Trying to delete and on further investigation the multiple delete is an issue when 4 or more are selected.

Are they all read ?

POP is very broken protocol IMO, I wouldn't use is if there's an alternative, just my personal opinion
They are not all read, there is a mix. But that does not seem to be part of the issue.

Now to the counts. That is stubonly sticking at 2 for all folders and as you say is a bug.

Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
I think it is quite safe to say that plain XMPP in good radio conditions does not use too much power.
I didn't really follow this lately, but in the past Google and FB implemented their own optimizations to reduce the verbosity of the XMPP which always affected the battery badly:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38943
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/sum...ry/000528.html

Plus there is this XEP: http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0273.html
Which defines a way to control what to filter:

A mobile client might want to receive messages but not presence notifications, since the latter are quite "chatty" and can run down the battery.
So, I wonder how any of this caught up in servers and clients (Telepathy)? All this was out for quite some time already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
I'm a bit worried about the negative initial reactions to the UI. More than anything else a new OS should make a good first impression. Its something WP failed at IMO.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
I'm a bit worried about the negative initial reactions to the UI.
Not sure what you are talking about... the more I see it, the more I want it. The fact that some people find it negative doesn't mean that everybody will. The same happened with iOS and happens constantly with Android (e.g., kitkat is quite rubbish at the status screen that you get from swipping top->bottom, and yet... >80% market).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
My provider is a reasonable sized email provider.
And it doesn't offer IMAP ?

Is it possible to get an account there ?

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience