Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by martinwozenilek View Post
What really sucks is that we don't have any european mobile operating system any more. All are now US (forget BlackBerry)! That's alarming!!!
I know what you mean its deeply disappointing.

As a european I was hoping Nokia would offer credible competition to US companies.

Oh well I guess an android phone will be my next device (if it can run a chroot version of linux and proper bluetooth support - keyboards & mice)

Originally Posted by omaniac View Post
who knows what is going to happen to nokia in partner with MS.. they may yet be able to do it and beat other os's out there.. if everything turns out bad then we can rant all we want.. if they succeed, well other os's fanboys will rant in our place.. there is still hope.. they have a plan.. hopefully both will benefit this partnership.. and not MS only..
Succeed in what? dominating the world with closed OS's and devices you have spent 600 euros or dollars or more to buy that you cannot have control over like the ****ing i-crap?

I am simply devastated today, I really cannot believe Nokia did that to themselves and us.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ylaktor For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Should that not be Goodbye Meego HELLO Nokia ?.

Nokia made a big mistake hiring M$ exec. Right now Elop signed death warrant for Nokia. Such a waste...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dagger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Will you lot just hold up and wait untill this happens? and for everyone doubting this for lack of apps etc etc please remember one thing here... the Windows OS has not been exploited at all really so if Nokia make it clear that it will use Windows as its OS then you just watch what will be developed !!
So you're saying that if Nokia ships many WP 7 phones, the market share will be big enough for developers to take it seriously and develop lots of apps.

But, this wouldn't apply to Meego (if Nokia had instead decided to select Meego as the 'primary smartphone platform')?

The Nokia Qt SDK is available for multiple platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux), whereas the SDK for WP7 is only available for Windows, so iPhone developers (who will develop on Mac OS) will need another platform to develop for Nokia?

Existing Qt apps for desktops (which would need minimal porting work to Meego) are of no value.

Existing Qt apps for Symbian were a total waste of developer investment?

Nokia promised "a Meego device", so we shouldn't assume it is a handset yet.

I think I'll be looking at Web OS, especially since they appear to be shipping Qt, otherwise I think I will go with Android. Or, maybe I'll buy another N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Norway
Better reason NOT to sell your N900 !!!.
That's for sure. Im getting myself a new N900 incase my old one dies on me. I can't see my life working without this phone. I love it to damn much <3

--Futtawuh

------------------------------------------
Alienware M15X
Razer Naga/Lycosa/Charcarias
Win7 - Ubuntu 10.10

Did I help you ? Then thank me ! --->

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to futtawuh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Montevideo
Sad as it seems lets be honest here... what do we want and need?... a fully funcional OS for our beloved N900 RIGHT ?.
Your definition of fully functional could be very different from the definition of a lot of people here, is like calling light the moonlight when we all have been seen the sunlight already. You think would be anything similar in WP7 of what happened i.e. around kernel power or fcam, to put 2 easy examples?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Well buchanmilne the problem is we are obviously stuck with what Nokia decide to do and as it now has a ex Bill Gates wiz kid at its helm you can only expect by reading in between the lines as to the area he will take Nokia.

It is of no use quoting anything right now but my bet is we will see a new generation OS from the Windows stable that will have huge development going for it and as Nokia are in trouble i would think from a bussiness strategic point of view the teaming of 2 of the worlds giants can only mean one thing... a Windows OS of the future and personally i am all with it IF it gets the development going for a much improved Windows Mobile platform, just look at the interest on this very thread... should that not tell us something?.

Will you lot just hold up and wait untill this happens? and for everyone doubting this for lack of apps etc etc please remember one thing here... the Windows OS has not been exploited at all really so if Nokia make it clear that it will use Windows as its OS then you just watch what will be developed !!
IMHO Maemo and Meego lacked support and the reason both will probably die a death.
I guess it depends if you're here as a Nokia fanboy or as a Meego/Maemo/Linux fanboy. You're clearly in the former, most people here are the latter. Why would anybody hear give a s**t what happens to Nokia and WP7? They've given their time and effort trying to help the platform and have been stabbed in the back IMHO.

If you want to blow smoke up Nokia and the WP7 tie up this perhaps is not the best place to do it.

(BTW I'm a Windows on the desktop man myself and like MS - but have less than no interest in WP7)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wizbowes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I guess I will go back to owning two devices.

My n900 is a great little linux computer. I will probably go back to a "proper" mobile phone or low-end android device.

I hope the development of stuff like getting linux distros like ubuntu running on the n900, easy debian and stuff like that continues.

Tags
elop ur a pain, meego sucks