When making videos from DVDs, I usually run the finished videos through VirtualDub once and increase the volume there by using this method: http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/normalize_avi.html Method #2

The Following User Says Thank You to JayJay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
When making videos from DVDs, I usually run the finished videos through VirtualDub once and increase the volume there by using this method: http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/normalize_avi.html Method #2
This is pretty much what I was looking for, except that I don't have a windoze machine to run this stuff on. It would be nice if there were a command line app to run this algorithm (with an argument or two) on avi files under linux. I've got the same problem as the OP, maxing out vol leaves the sound too quiet to be heard under ambient noise in urban environments such as public trasportation.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Just use the wiki-fied method for boosting mplayer volume that Benson linked to. I have mine set to

Code:
af=volume=15.1:0
But maybe the setting they suggest works well/better.

Allok video to ipod converter is such a simple app to increase the volume output. But then thanks for my greed, is there any one else that can boost the volume and edit the brightness/contrast at the same time?

Originally Posted by anhzxcv View Post
Allok video to ipod converter is such a simple app to increase the volume output. But then thanks for my greed, is there any one else that can boost the volume and edit the brightness/contrast at the same time?
Well, you could use something like AVS video converter 6 that is a little more indepth than ALLOK's ipod converter, but it does allow you to fix both video and audio issues at the same time.

A portable headphone amp might be the simplest solution. For example, a "cmoy" amp that is housed in an Altoids mint tin can be had on Ebay for very little. That way you can avoid problems caused by the software methods, if there are any. Like, having less control at lower volumes, losing the boost when the software updates, etc. Also, it can be a little harsh when you've got the volume turned way up and it's too loud for the next situation you listen in. Granted, those may be less hassle than lugging yet another piece of techokit.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by anhzxcv View Post
Hi guys, I have problem when watching movies, especially using Mplayer and Canola. The sound is very soft, poorly to heard on train. Is there any way that I can increase the sound? Either by converting /editing the movies on PC or using plugins to boost the sound?

I'm using N800 diablo, Mplayer, file movies are *.avi just as on PC, and listening by ordinary iPod earphones. Mentioned that I can listen music finely but watching movies sucks.

Any tips to increase watching movies experience, put here also. Thanks guys !
I had the same problem with new N810 / chinook when I got the device. Putzing around with it for a few weeks, suddenly i got 4x the volume.

Just flashed to diablo - volume is impossibly quiet again.

Will post here if I remember what to do.

[edit] now i'm getting some loud volume. no iddea what's going on.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-12-30 at 19:49.

Add a line:
af=volnorm
in file etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf,
Then it will be better!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
If you decide to go the route of a pocket amp, this one is only $8 (with free shipping) and I've found it works well. (The good is that it's small and does seem to improve sound quality, not just loudness. The bad is that there is no Off switch, you turn it off by pulling out the headphone cord. And I think it may slowly drain the battery when supposedly off.)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I have found this batch file for increasing the sound volume on a whole directory of AVI movies great. I've used his second file, Avi_Gain_Regular.bat (with the 224kbps changed to 128), and the results have been excellent. (Thanks, Soopafresh, whoever you are!)

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...iple-AVI-files

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2010-02-07 at 06:47.