Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
By dead end, it means that a current gen WP7.5 device cannot be upgraded past 7.8 to 8.0.

WP7 is still built on top of WinCE whereas WP8 is built around the NT kernel.
Yea, that was a real downer. Looks like they architected WP8 HW to fit NT instead of modifying too much on the NT kernel.

I have a theory of what has happened. It's all about the ecosystem. The Lumia WP7.X had one main purpose, and that was to spread the MS ecosystem throughout Europe and Asia. To build the basic infrastructure so everything was ready for WP8, Surface and WIn8. And I mean everything, HW, music, movies, apps, cloud services and so on. Pre Lumia, the MS ecosystem existed only as patches here and there and wasn't all that good. With Nokia came music and maps among other things, and MS has pumped up the volume 100 folds. More than 100k apps is also a direct result of the Lumia series.

Apple have such an ecosystem, Google has not. When WP8/Surface/Win8 comes in a couple of months, it will come everywhere, on a global scale with full ecosystem support from day 1. It will be a deluge. The Lumia 610 will be a key element in this, a cheap 150 € phone that takes advantage of all this, and it's not even WP8. And cheaper WP7.X phones is still to come, along with high end WP8.

I understand now, there is no need for a plan B. Plan A is fool proof. End of discussion !!!

On a side note, I have actually bought myself a 610 today as well It will be a gift eventually, but christ, have I turned completely to the Dark side ??

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Be a man, buy the stock!

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
then you are a stupid man

Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
Even a stupid man can grow big potatoes.

The problem for Nokia is not over. They may get some solid WP8 products out, but the low end is shaky. WP7 may be pushed lower, but there is a limit.

They will have to shrink further, Nokia is still too large. How are they going to do that? I see some huge cuts in the "next billion" coming soon.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait. In one fell swoop, Symbian, Maemo/MeeGo, Meltemi and Smarterphone have died in the last year basically. Wow.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
great contribution from NOKIA to m@ke$$h!t sales, huh >¦-)
nota bene, 2011 includes LostDOS imMobilized as well, which NOKIA never sold...
What is this, I don't even...

But really, you expect people to take you a least bit serious, writing like that?

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Even a stupid man can grow big potatoes.

The problem for Nokia is not over. They may get some solid WP8 products out, but the low end is shaky. WP7 may be pushed lower, but there is a limit.
Really? I thought they did rather well in the lower-end and mid-range smartphone segment and the ultra-cheap dumb-phones. The Lumia 610 is sold in the 150-170 euro price range, and it looks rather good compared to similar priced Android phones.
The Lumia 800 is dropping in price rather nice and competes with the iPhone 3GS (together with some very nice Samsung phones.)
Also the ultracheap Nokia 100 is everywhere and a lovely dumb-phone for 20-30 euros.

Nokia currently doesn't have any real "high-end" phones. Lumia 900 and pureview 808 have some high-end features (LTE/camera) but both are seriously lacking in others. That is definitely the biggest problem.
Maybe Nokia also doesn't have clear plans for the 50-100 euro range, but the competition also don't really have any really good products in that price range imho.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
You got to take some risk in life. No risk, no payoff

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I´ve wrote this at twitter ( @Bet1nh0 ):

"I think ... JollaMobile = Nokia's Backup Plan"

1 - Nokia is a "phonemaker" ;
2 - Software isn´t your bussiness ;
3 - And the "softwaremaker" ( Microsoft, Accenture, Jolla )

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by carlosalbertoteles View Post
I´ve wrote this at twitter ( @Bet1nh0 ):

"I think ... JollaMobile = Nokia's Backup Plan"

1 - Nokia is a "phonemaker" ;
2 - Software isn´t your bussiness ;
3 - And the "softwaremaker" ( Microsoft, Accenture, Jolla )
Ever wonder who made symbian all this years?