Closed Thread
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There is no 2.5 version. Perhaps you meant 2.3.5? That would be Gingerbread.

Win7 has tablet controls built-in, btw.

And your Outlook situation sounds like a rather esoteric/rare/anachronistic setup. For once, I'd suggest using Google Apps for your company instead of that setup.
Yeah, that's the version.

And my Outlook situation in something odd. But something that I can overcome through Symbian since 2001.

I wanted, suggested and begged to change to google. I even offered to do it myself (already did on another company) even though I'm an Electricity Engineer and it has nothing to do with what I am actually paid for.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ah... yeah, you're using *.dwg files. AutoCAD WS is cloud based, therefore the changes are at their servers, not on your client machine. It integrates into Google Drive (formerly Google Docs - again a recommendation for Google Apps) but you're not going to be lucky if you don't have high-speed access.

Native dwg/dxf is in AndCAD. No conversion necessary.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
Even for viewing.
I need to either email then to me (beyond stupid), and then download the converted project from autodesk somewhat automatically. OR send it over to Autodesk and download the converted files.

Both are impractical, and slow.
If a Linux handheld (like a n900 or n9) had support for cad I'm pretty sure I would be able to set up a SVN to automatically update my projects.
Impractical, yes. One hint (maybe). WebKit2 browser in N9 properly shows SVG files. In AutoCAD (in early versions, exactly ) was export to .svg... Yes, this only for browsing.

Ah... yeah, you're using *.dwg files. AutoCAD WS is cloud based, therefore the changes are at their servers, not on your client machine. It integrates into Google Drive (formerly Google Docs - again a recommendation for Google Apps) but you're not going to be lucky if you don't have high-speed access.

Native dwg/dxf is in AndCAD. No conversion necessary.
Oh,and you reminded me how much this internet connectivity dependency makes me want to rage.

Inability to use MANY apps without internet connection is stupid. Inability to use then without VERY HIGH SPEED connection is even worse.

Well... I do like to work with multiple monitors and frequently have:
3~5 CAD projects open;
1 Excel spreadsheet;
1 Adobe Document;
1 Outlook mailbox + 1 email open;
1 Word document;
4~6 explorer folders;
1 browser.

And alternate heavily between all this. I know I won't be able to do this on a tablet. But if I could open a couple of projects, email, spreadsheet and a browser at the same time I would be happy. I know that if there was enough processing power/memory and a CAD app my n900 could do it.
That's basically my work setup as well, along with most of my colleges. At the same time they all (most of them) love the iPad. That is a mystery to me, but a fact. My theory about that is the iPad let them get away from work, relax, in a way that even a netbook wouldn't do. But then again, some bring it along for work related e-mail and stuff, so the my theory isn't bullet proof.

I wouldn't dream of having any iProducts myself. A 7 inch native Google/Asus pad would be nice though.

And my Outlook situation in something odd. But something that I can overcome through Symbian since 2001.

I wanted, suggested and begged to change to google. I even offered to do it myself (already did on another company) even though I'm an Electricity Engineer and it has nothing to do with what I am actually paid for.
Have you tried using Outlook Web Access for your email when you are out and about? It is the web front end of Outlook that gives you access to all of you inbox, calendar etc.. Granted you still need an internet connection but nothing blindingly fast and there is no installation too, so should run on anything. (works well on my HP touchpad)

That said, The HP touchpad is quite a multi tasking beast, has BT k/b and mouse support and you can launch ubuntu (ala easy debian) too which comes with a whole host of programs as you would expect with linux.

Lastly if you do find yourself in an area with good internet connection, you can launch Splashtop an have a very quick low latency remote desktop session to your PC that fits very well with it 10'' screen.

I bought mine because I wanted something that I could compare to the experiences I have with the n900 and it has not disappointed me. With the inclusion of native webOS games and dual boot Android it fits my personal and work needs.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
check out these stats regarding NOK value:

http://ycharts.com/companies/NOK

Okay, here's one issue we're going to have to disagree with. I get that multi-tasking is important with folks here. Don't disagree actually. But what I do have a problem with... on the tablet format, none of them really do effective multitasking on a touch based UI. It just... doesn't exist in tablets.
We have to be careful with definitions here, touch based UIs for tablets do exist. From "Windows XP tablet PC edition" (to some extent, more stylus based) which has existed for almost a decade, to the more recent Meego. They do exist. Meego based WeTab for example exists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOZdM...eature=related

What specifically doesn't exist is an ARM tablet with multitasking. What we aren't going to get overnight is legacy x86 apps with touch optimised UIs. What we are also not going to get is the ability to run the sort of workstation programs jotoco wants any time soon. Even on my x86 based tablet or Atom based nettops these programs are unusable because of performance, whether it be editing in Solidworks or AutoCAD. These sort of devices are not meant for editing, presenting maybe, but even Autodesk Showcase would most likely struggle (completely forget about calculating Ambient Occlusion, you will be waiting for years). You can't get something for nothing, you are either looking at high performance, low battery life, or low performance, long battery life.

Things like Office, AutoCAD, true Multi-task, true and good file explorer, keyboard support, mouse support, file transfer freedom (it's absurd I need to list this... both Android and iOS need third-party apps to do it....), more than SD memory support (real Hard Drive with multiple tens of gigs) and stuff.
jotoco, I'm fairly sure Android and iOS have keyboard and mouse support and office alternatives. If you plan to use keyboard/mouse more often than touch then I would also need to ask why you plan to get a tablet or what you think Windows 8 will bring.

if it's the form factor and touchscreen then there is the Series 7 slate which runs Win7

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/p...XE700T1A-A01UK

If it's more because of portability there are Win7 UMPCs which are more portable than even an iPad, like the Viliv N5.

If you are looking for portable with battery life the Sony Vaio P, battery life is 5.5 hours
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEBvGDwbh0Y

Just don't expect to be creating/editing complex assemblies/families in AutoCAD on any of these devices and these will run out of juice very quickly for these taxing tasks.

Sorry, this is way off-topic.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Thanks, I got hid of it already, but this should be a good app.

It doesn't solve the overall need for multitask, only on the browser, but it sure helps.

And it still has the problem of lack of real software........ I will wait for w8 x86 tablets.
Fine.. fine... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sageek.stickit

Even for viewing.

For example, I couldn't (and can't) plug an Android (or iOS) tablet to my PC (or wifi into my network) and grab my projects and simply open then for viewing purposes.

I need to either email then to me (beyond stupid), and then download the converted project from autodesk somewhat automatically. OR send it over to Autodesk and download the converted files.

Both are impractical, and slow. Even if I just view then, everytime there is a change in a project I need to do that again. And to do that with over 400 or 500 projects takes many many hours. And usually these Tablets do not have enough memory to store that much information.

And I can't just select everything and tell it to update. It won't do that and only support 10 files at a time.

I can't set up some kind of SVN or stuff.

If a Linux handheld (like a n900 or n9) had support for cad I'm pretty sure I would be able to set up a SVN to automatically update my projects.

On a x86 windows environment, I'm sure I can do that. If win8 supports everything that win7 supports (on a x86 processor) I will be very happy.
What the hell are you babbling about? At least CAD software is even AVAILABLE on Android--that's a far bit better than the N9/N900 productivity experience already. Who KNOWS what the experience will be like on x86 Windows tablets and whatever limitations they might have. They don't even exist to purchase yet and, given Microsoft's past trends, they HAVE tried to limit and cripple experiences on their operating system--Why shouldn't Windows 8 experience the joys of crippleware?

There is no Android 2.5, as Gerbick already pointed out. Did you even look?

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
jotoco, I'm fairly sure Android and iOS have keyboard and mouse support and office alternatives. If you plan to use keyboard/mouse more often than touch then I would also need to ask why you plan to get a tablet or what you think Windows 8 will bring.
Didn't he, earlier, point out that he has an Asus Transformer? I had a coworker with the TF-101 and I can ABSOLUTELY confirm that it supports bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse, as well as USB keyboard and USB mouse IN ADDITION to the keyboard/trackpad dock that was made to work with it. There's absolutely no excuse for claiming that it can't and I can confirm that first-hand on precisely that model. For the record, I have both Android 2.3.5 (Galaxy Tab) and Android 4.0.4 (Galaxy Nexus) and they both support bluetooth keyboards and mice... so even the Android version isn't really much of an excuse.

Also, yes--there's a PLETHORA of very good office apps available (Google Docs, ThinkFree Office, DocumentsToGo, OfficeSuite, etc.).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
check out these stats regarding NOK value:

http://ycharts.com/companies/NOK
Yes, yes... we've been watching it go legs-up for quite a while now. Any news, though?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen