Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Now I don't believe this to be a realistic option (don't want to scrap my N900 just to find out whether it's possible or not), but it's an interesting thought nonetheless...

Originally Posted by unkno View Post
Assuming you manage to do the impossible and unsolder the old processor AND then solder the new processor....
Could be possible with special equipment. Not something an average hobbyist would be doing on the kitchen table though.

the processor will likely fry instantly since the newer processor requires a lower power consumption (unless you mod the software and hardware).
Yes, some core voltage adaptation would be necessary but isn't the power management chip programmable in that regard? Assuming the processor survives the slightly higher core voltage during boot-up.

Lastly, increasing the clock speed of the processor may affect the operating system in weird ways (depending on how the OS was optimized/written).
Shouldn't Linux handle this kind of thing pretty well? I mean, overclocking your PC doesn't (usually) mess things up...

Originally Posted by abbra View Post
The best you can get from TI is OMAP3530, in quantities no less than 1000 units. It would roughly cost you around 32-40K USD.
You can get the OMAP3530 in quantities of one piece from component suppliers... But I don't believe that would work as a drop-in replacement. After all, there has to be some HW differences to justify the different model number series?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
You can get the OMAP3530 in quantities of one piece from component suppliers... But I don't believe that would work as a drop-in replacement. After all, there has to be some HW differences to justify the different model number series?
The package is bigger (among other things).

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The package is bigger (among other things).
That's what she said.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
No no no no....don't discourage the dude....I want to hear all about his resoldering efforts and how mysteriously blank his screen is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bkw001 View Post
Assuming we can buy an OMAP 3630 chip, do you think we could solder the faster and less power consuming 3630 in place of the 3430.

Have Fun
Thanks! With threads like these my favorite form of fun is tag abuse.

When this wishful debate took place, did anyone believe that a full year and a half later (and counting, and counting) the N900 would still be Nokia "flagship" device with its plainjane 65mn OMAP 3430 (and the only device featuring WVGA!)...?

(but it was really MeeGo's fault that sales are faltering... )

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Originally Posted by bkw00
Assuming we can buy an OMAP 3630 chip, do you think we could solder the faster and less power consuming 3630 in place of the 3430.
Thanks! With threads like these my favorite form of fun is tag abuse.
Oh it's been you!

I'll admit I don't know anything about specific mobile hardware...but is there a reason why companies don't create a sort of universal motherboard with possible upgradable parts such as ram and cpu? I could kinda see something similar with tablets running Intel atom processors... I mean, for exemple Windows XP can be run on a huge variety of hardware, I don't think it could be a software issue...could it?

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
I'll admit I don't know anything about specific mobile hardware...but is there a reason why companies don't create a sort of universal motherboard with possible upgradable parts such as ram and cpu? I could kinda see something similar with tablets running Intel atom processors... I mean, for exemple Windows XP can be run on a huge variety of hardware, I don't think it could be a software issue...could it?
Mainly size, power drain and lack of standardization. Most tablets running Windows/Linux are actually non-upgradeable. I have a samsung Q1 and an OQO. The only thing you can change on the Q1 is the ram which is a regular 200pin SO DIMM.

Last edited by Cue; 2011-02-21 at 12:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Through some miracle, this might work and you could totally be internet famous for like a day or two.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Even if you can get past the soldering you still have problems because you do not have access to the closed components on the N900.

Would really love to see a novice tackle this one ho ho ho.

End result... one truly bricked and useless N900 ha.

Tags
bada rulez, expensive brick, here's a quarter, just shoot me, lol @ abill_uk, playinwithballs, poosticks, random stuff, soldering competition, wtb: 1 omap 3630 chip