Originally Posted by solpete View Post
I think people should stop excusing n900 issues with the argument that iPhone also had issues 2 years ago.

I want a flashship device that works reasonably well and at a level of user experience that is on par with other flagship devices _today_. n900 is a mixed bag, perhaps too mixed for my taste. Way more problems than was reported on xda-developers with my HTC device when I bought it.
If you want a flagship device, don't get the N900. It's as simple as that really.

What more do you want. That we all publicly proclaim that "it sucks", because it isn't polished enough for solpete yet?

This "blame game" is just ugly pettiness. You look objectively at the capabilities and flaws of a device and then you make a buying decision, that's how it works.

Originally Posted by hihai411 View Post
I think you would have a better point if you held your finger on the screen with alot of pressure and scrolled really slow while reading and the screen is unresponsive or jerky. What your doing is flicking the screen really fast, faster than any normal person can read whats going on in the screen. Is there slightly a small problem..yes, is it a big deal in the sense that it would ruin your day to day experience..no.
People have different standards. I would irritate myself too much on that. I am a fast scroller, not grandpa. In my opinion, Its CRAP.

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
If you want a flagship device, don't get the N900. It's as simple as that really.

What more do you want. That we all publicly proclaim that "it sucks", because it isn't polished enough for solpete yet?

This "blame game" is just ugly pettiness. You look objectively at the capabilities and flaws of a device and then you make a buying decision, that's how it works.
I want to like the n900, Its just that I get really irritated when scrolling isnt smooth. I have had the HTC tytn II for the last two years. I want to bang the phone in the wall almost every day for it being so laggy. I dont want to be there with the n900 in a year or so.

I actually dont think there is one phone out there that I would be happy with, I am that picky... The reason for me being here on this forum is that n900 seems to be the best choice for me. And I want to like it.

-HTC HD2 ... winmo... go **** yerself.
-n900 buggy as hell, slow browser (whatever my-symbian says, I saw it in his videos aswell). And Ovimaps is a big, big joke.
-Droid ... well I want a keyboard...
-x10 ... dont wanna wait till late Q1...
-iPhone... dunno I dont like the fact that everyone has one

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by solpete View Post
People have different standards. I would irritate myself too much on that. I am a fast scroller, not grandpa. In my opinion, Its CRAP.
Yep, it's all about who's looking at it and what you compare it to. The scrolling issue, in my opinion, is totally just a matter of what you are used to. The N900 in those videos looks much more smooth than my N810. And the web page scrolling looks as good as my HTC Hero (Android 1.5). On the other hand, scrolling between the home screens looks quite laggy to me, certainly not up to my Android device's smoothness and in fact pretty bad-looking, to me. I've seen that in previous videos too...it does NOT look smooth when people move between the home screens. I hope they fix that, as flicking through home screens is the first thing anybody will probably do when they pick up the device for the first time. Not the best first impression if you come from Android/iPhone.

Anyway, had you shown those videos to me before I got my Hero phone, I would've said there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Compared to the N810, they're a huge improvement. But as you see more of these new phones (iPhone, Androids etc.) expectations rise...it's only normal. Video smoothness etc. multimedia has never been exactly the strong point of Linux, anyway.

If slight lag in scrolling turns off people from this device then it just proves that the platoform is not quite ready for all mainstream users, those who are picky about these issue...and frankly, many of us already know that it's not quite finished and decided to skip getting this beta device and being furious at Nokia for its shortcomings anyway

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Berlin
It's interesting to me as a non tech person who is quickly trying to get up to speed on Linux, porting things over, programming languages, etc etc, that the people who have reported not having too many problems are the ones who seem to have the most experience with programming, software etc etc side of things. I perfectly expect my inexperienced self to cause a host of problems from my lack of knowledge when I HOPEFULLY get my N900 here in Germany. Just wondering what the background is of Megacrazy, solpete and gerbick. The people on this thread who have reported the least amount of problems were those given pre-production models. Those given pre-production models have to be a somebody in the sense that they weren't giving them out to random people on the street. It's obvious the N900 has problems, I just don't understand the venom in some of these attacks on the device. My job is to teach mediation and negotiation skills here in Germany. Your arguments megacrazy, solpete and gerbick are merit based with facts. However, how you are presenting those arguments and failing to recognize what others are saying is quite disheartening. No one isn't saying you are having the problems you are having. They are just pointing out they haven't had those problems and even biased websites (Endgadget) said the browser experience is second to none.

So, what I've got from the posts in this thread are, some of you are saying what numerous other reviews, youtube videos and members here are saying is the strength of the device (browser) is actually not on par with your expectations or even the performance of older devices? There is a consistent lag, white spaces, gets worse the during use? In addition, there are a host of other bugs that make you question why you bought the device in the first place yes?

Now, the other camp, txtrat, my-symbian and others are saying yes, there are bugs, however the issue with the browser scrolling and random reboots is not one of them. Yes?

Ok, so the question is, txtrat and my-symbian.. where did you get YOUR N900s because I want mine to be made by THAT person cause these other guys sound like they got ripped off. I am willing to compensate you for that information of course to ensure I will not turn into an irate childish boob who starts threads that completely skew the mindset of potential buyers of the device.

And that's my 1 euro worth of opinion for today. Now back to reading manuals on programming languages!

Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
Yep, it's all about who's looking at it and what you compare it to. The scrolling issue, in my opinion, is totally just a matter of what you are used to. The N900 in those videos looks much more smooth than my N810. And the web page scrolling looks as good as my HTC Hero (Android 1.5). On the other hand, scrolling between the home screens looks quite laggy to me, certainly not up to my Android device's smoothness and in fact pretty bad-looking, to me. I've seen that in previous videos too...it does NOT look smooth when people move between the home screens. I hope they fix that, as flicking through home screens is the first thing anybody will probably do when they pick up the device for the first time. Not the best first impression if you come from Android/iPhone.
I just flicked through my home screens and there was nothing to complain about. Sure, I guess I could see it at times skip a frame, but the motion was fast and end-result very usable.

Maybe it is just me, but I associate seriously bad scrolling with slowness and judder that causes usability problems. That is not what I am experiencing with the home screen or the browser or the media-player. Sure, maybe they can and should continue to smoothen things since they seem to irritate people, but the most important thing, usability is in my opinion very much there. At - again - over twice the pixels on screen compared to iPhone 3GS.

Just to be sure I flicked through a couple of more home screens and again, nothing wrong, nothing to complain about in my opinion. It does what I ask it to do and it does it fast. Very usable.

it just proves the platoform is not quite ready for all mainstream users
Why does that need proving? Everybody should know it is not ready for mainstream users, even Nokia says that is Maemo 6 time. This is an open mobile computer for developers and tech-heads. From that perspective and with those expectations, I've yet to see anything like in on the market, anything from a mainstream company anyway which has a half a chance at a future as a platform.

Last edited by iJanne; 2009-11-26 at 09:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:
i didnt read this whole thread but my point on a few things:

1> playlist

huh? Thats SOOO simple to create and it is for me exactly how i think it should be... I open up my collection in Artist or Album mode (i do miss the album artist view by the way!!) then i select an album and i long press to get the context menu or go through the top menu and say add to current play list.. I do that a bit more, searching (just typing the first chars) and i add a few albums more. Then go to the media players current play list and say: Save play list -> fill in the name and done.
Then when i want to play i dont go to artist or albums view but playlist view and yes its there and i can play it.

It could be me but that is exactly how i think it should work.

2> Browser not smooth

I have created my play list so now i play my songs. then i open up the browser and load engadget.com. Then i start scrolling. smooth as it could be no lag at all. So i dont get what i do wrong to not get the smooth scrolling.

Originally Posted by iJanne View Post
I just flicked through my home screens and there was nothing to complain about. Sure, I guess I could see it at times skip a frame, but the motion was fast and end-result very usable.
When it comes to switching home screens i don't see lag there either. My reference devices would be 2G ipod touch and Zune HD.

Not saying that scrolling dosen't need to get better elsewhere in the device... because it needs, but don't see problems with home screens.

Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
Yes it sucks and mine doesent even work MIC KNACKED customer care what a BIG JOKE.

I just did the same. Opened media-player to play a song, went to the browser to scroll around the fairly picture-heavy front pages of CNN.com and GameSpot.com. I flicked around with the stylus... all super-fast in my opinion and extremely usable.

Best online experience on a mobile device I've ever had. One can actually use these large sites on this device... on the iPod touch I'd get frustrated so fast.

Even the Flash ads on the way to GameSpot.com played well without any judder to Flash or music. I don't know if that is such a big bonus, though.

During the whole testing session the music skipped twice, very briefly, during loading and layout of the larger pages, when I was scrolling during layout/loading and otherwise abusing the browser by flicking madly around. Nothing to write home (or here) about, same I get under load at times on my MacBook Pro too. What is something to write home and here about is how well the browser handles large sites and how usable it is.

Really impressive stuff.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever