Notices

Hi all,
it's just to inform you that I have just uploaded on Garage the porting for Maemo 5 of the IPTraf network statistics and monitoring tool.

Features:
* An IP traffic monitor that shows information on the IP traffic passing over your network. Includes TCP flag information, packet and byte counts, ICMP details, OSPF packet types.
* General and detailed interface statistics showing IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, non-IP and other IP packet counts, IP checksum errors, interface activity, packet size counts.
* A TCP and UDP service monitor showing counts of incoming and outgoing packets for common TCP and UDP application ports
* A LAN statistics module that discovers active hosts and shows statistics showing the data activity on them
* TCP, UDP, and other protocol display filters, allowing you to view only traffic you're interested in.
* Supports PPP and loopback interface types.
* Utilizes the built-in raw socket interface of the Linux kernel, allowing it to be used over a wide range of supported network cards.
* Full-screen, menu-driven operation.

Protocols Recognized:
* IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, IGMP, IGP, IGRP, OSPF, ARP, RARP

Now it follows the links to the project:

Package View details : http://maemo.org/packages/view/network-monitor/
Garage project : http://network-monitor.garage.maemo.org

Here you'll find some screenshots:
http://n900.altervista.org/index.php...mid=76&lang=en

The installer will create a desktop icon from which you'll be able to start the application without the need to run it from the shell.

Before to run it, please be sure to have set the X-Terminal font size at maximum of 12 pts; it's preferable to set the font to "Monospace" and size to 12.

If you are not able to install this package cause the lack of "libncurses5" you have simply to:
1) run X-Terminal
2) type "sudo gainroot" to get root priviledges
3) type "apt-get install libncurses5"

then you can proceed normally with the installation of IPTraf Network Monitor package.

If it doesn't work you can download and install this library from the following link :
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae...+0m5_armel.deb

Please, don't hesitate to contact me for any problem!

I look forward to get your feedbacks.

- Luigi

Last edited by embedded; 2010-03-07 at 17:55.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to embedded For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Is this in the repository yet?

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Is this in the repository yet?
Hi les_garten,
yes it's already available in extras-devel repository.
You have just to make an update of N900 catalogues.

Regards,
- Luigi

The Following User Says Thank You to embedded For This Useful Post:
I found it and installed it, but don't get any Data? Also, when I click configuration, the program crashes? Any ideas?

Thanx for the kewl app!

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I found it and installed it, but don't get any Data? Also, when I click configuration, the program crashes? Any ideas?

Thanx for the kewl app!
1) Set the X-Terminal font to "Monospace" and size at "12".

2) Have you run it from the X-Terminal or through the application icon in the applications menu? (in the second case, try to run it from the shell with root priviledges and please report any error message)

Thanks for what seems to be a great app.

YOu may want to give a msg which says "Set the X-Terminal font to "Monospace" and size at "12"" upon runtime if it detects a size greater than 12, since otherwise the app opens and closes with no error message.

Thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to mail_e36 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
Thanks for what seems to be a great app.

YOu may want to give a msg which says "Set the X-Terminal font to "Monospace" and size at "12"" upon runtime if it detects a size greater than 12, since otherwise the app opens and closes with no error message.

Thanks again!
It already does it. It was just an advice

Originally Posted by embedded View Post
1) Set the X-Terminal font to "Monospace" and size at "12".

2) Have! you run it from the X-Terminal or through the application icon in the applications menu? (in the second case, try to run it from the shell with root priviledges and please report any error message)
The font did it. But man, that font is SMALL for us Ol' guys!

If you can make it work with a bigger font, that wold be nice, fo sure!

Doubtful though...

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
works nicely... thanx... was waiting for this

It's quite impossible to do that. It'd be better, of course to have a bigger font, but it would make the app ugly and useless due to the N900 screen size.