Active Topics

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by te37v View Post
I wouldn't really consider it a FULL linux os as I heard Meego doesn't have desktops but rather a home screen which launches apps to appeal to the masses. In other words it's not truly linux.
You just offended millions of headless servers around the world.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Maemo is not dead, Maemo IS a direct rival for Android and Windows. I know you talk about MeeGo, but what I wanned to say is that Maemo is better than all the other OS on the market and people keep porting only the other stuff and Maemo that is the best NOT. If Meego will be 100 times better than Maemo, do you think that it will be ported to other devices right away? NO, the truth is that people will try to port Android to the first Meego device.. People often likes the stuff that do not worth

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Australia
First of all, this thread is being derailed by misconceptions and lies.

Secondly, you could potentially port MeeGo to the HD2, however one barrier would be the Handset UI. To my knowledge no Snapdragon chipset has Open GL ES drivers written to work with Xorg, they only work with Android's SurfaceFlinger, and obviously there are appropriate drivers for Windows Mobile. Therefore, in order to get the Handset UI to come up, you would need to have it do software rendering, which can be slow, but still possible. Or you can just use a different UI on top of the MeeGo stack, like XFCE etc.

Edit: I should have mentioned the Handset UI relies on having Open GL ES 2.0 drivers that work with Xorg, which is why if you don't have them, you need to go back to software rendering.

Last edited by Termana; 2010-07-23 at 05:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Termana For This Useful Post: