Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
Hey Bun, you are going to cause me to buy another tablet again Anyway, I like the Hyundai A7 that you recommended last time, and was thinking to get another one. Now I will have to take a look at this one. Two questions: 1. You mentioned Japanese TV programs. What app do you use to get those? 2. What's the weight of this tablet comparing to A7, which is nice and light? Thanks as usual!

1) Any Chinese TV app should be able to tune in Japanese TV, for example Dopool (?); however, most of them are low definition. I use PPS shadow (chinese) sound (chinese) ; they offer choice of low and hi definition. They have Japanese TV and movies.

2) I think they weigh about the same; pd10 is nicer because of 1G ram, faster and smoother, and with the GPS toy build-in!

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2012-05-31 at 04:43.

Thanks, Bun! The only thing I don't like about Hyundai A7 is the display. It is perfect for streaming TV (esp. HD) programs: sharp and clear. But when I browse Web sites, the text seems to be slightly fuzzy, definitely not crystal clear. The new A7 HD has 1200x600 display; I am thinking to get it instead.

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Ainol Novo 7 Elf 2 is now available in stock. Pretty decent price tag regarding specs. Here is one store LINK and here is another LINK and Ainol's own website LINK

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
In a little bit more than 3 month, the standard of chinese craplets has changed tremendously. Now for $99, I would expect OS 4.0.3/1024X 600 resolution/8G flash/1G Ram/cap/5 pt multitouch/no BT/noGPS, for example, ICOOD70GT from pandawill dot com. This measures sharptly against my previous 'shopping guide', which was OS 4.0.1/800X480/4G/0.5G/cap/5pt multitouch/no BT/no GPS; look back at my Nokia experience, it took almost a year for each upgrade, 770 > N800 > N810 > N900. I know, comparison is not fair as Nokia is a company and chinese craplets is from a country; anyway, I am amazed.

One more note: when migrating from resistence to capacitance screen, there are some 2 point multitouch capacitance screen. So, read the spec carefully, some still sells 2 point capacitance multitouch or simply, just labelled as 'multitouch'; one of them is Ramos. So dont get upset if you are careless and swap in a 2 point multitouch screen instead of the now standard 5 points. And some are tauting 10 point multitouch... who is going to hold the tablet for you if you are using ALL 10 fingers? Just a joke

Most new chinese craplets are wifi b/g/n standard, the old ones are b/g, no n. while the expansive ones are a/b/g/n. I am not quite sure the practical use of protocol a, as it is rather short distance. But n is a biggie, if you looking into the future. The bottom line, if your router is at least a year old and has no plan to upgrade, chances are, you dont have protocol n. I strongly recommend to get a router with n protocol as n is more than just faster, up to 150 MBps, it is also more stable in my experience. I got a refurbished one for under $30, dual channel and has been my work horse for 6 wks now, not even 1 drop signal. Most common routers are g, 54 MBps.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2012-06-06 at 20:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
In a little bit more than 3 month, the standard of chinese craplets has changed tremendously. Now for $99, I would expect ICOOD70GT from pandawill dot com.

Most new chinese craplets are wifi b/g/n standard, the old ones are b/g, no n. while the expansive ones are a/b/g/n. I am not quite sure the practical use of protocol a, as it is rather short distance. But n is a biggie.

bun
Thanks for the update.
It feels like even the knock off's are getting better whereas the N900 is getting left behind (!!!!)

The ICOO D70W is a bargain at $99.

And the new Aino Novo Elf 2 is not too shabby either. At least they bumped up the specs (1.3mp vs VGA ffc) (wifi N). And they upgraded it to the AMLogic 8726-M6 (aka MX) from the M3 (solo A9) or the RockChip (55nm Cortex A9) they were discussing.

The M6 has roughly the same prowess as the Exynos 4210 found in the SII, but is slightly slower in gpu (because it has a 2-core instead of 4-core Mali-400 chipset). It also uses roughly same power because they are built on a 40nm-die instead of a 42nm one (but Chinese kernels are probably not as efficient as Samsung/customROMs).

At $118, the Elf 2 is a serious contender. Probably a better bargain than the ones we've previously discovered in this thread. And probably a better bargain than the $99 ICOO D70W.
I'd hope to see the Aurora 2 (ips screen) hit prices close to $130 instead of the $180 they're currently offering (the Nook Tablet territory).

Anyways, the PlayBook still seems to be one of the best tablets available and at such low prices...so consider that too (QNX v2.1 coming soon, quality device, there's heaps of accessories for it)

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
I read so many posts that 800 X 480 on the 7in is poor, and you need a level up 1024 X 600. Even on this thread. I just received my 1st 1024 X 600 tablet, a Ainol Novo7 Mars. I put it side by side to a 800 X 480 tablet for comparison (Hyundai A7), youtube HD playoff, HD web browser, playing HD movie... HD till I have blood coughing up my nose... I see NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. Nada. Maybe, maybe, if I use a magnifying glass and concentrate on a straight line, the 1024 X 800 screen 'may' show a very straight line in continuity, while the 800 X 480 may show one or two jig-jag, again, I swear, it is like splitting hair.

I went back to check the specification on the HD tablet, the Novo7 Mars, sure, the spec say so, 1024 X 600. And yes, it played like so, cause it will turn and turn and turn for the buffer, while the 800 X 480 tablet already finished playing the movie clip, or the HD youtube clip.

A minor difference is, like UC browser HD, it will warn you that this browser is not for the 800X 480, but still the browser works, the warning is BS. And sure you do not see that warning on the 1024 X 600 tablet. This is the ONLY difference I see. The other difference is slower response on the touch screen HD tablet and presumably increase in battery consumption.

If anybody can suggest a better test or better use of HD, I would like to hear.

With today's cheap tablet market, one still pay $25 - $50 more for this so called HD resolution. And on a 7inch tablet, it is like pepsi vs coke. I rather keep my $ in my pocket. Not worth it. Dont believe everything you read on the internet. I, for one, will ignore this HD specification on a 7 in tablet.

I am not saying anything about 10in tablet. For one, I aint got any... yet

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2012-06-16 at 06:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I read so many posts that 800 X 480 on the 7in is poor, and you need a level up 1024 X 600. I just received my 1st 1024 X 600 tablet put it side by side to a 800 X 480 tablet for comparison (Hyundai A7)... I see NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. Nada.

With today's cheap tablet market, one still pay $25 - $50 more for this so called HD resolution. And on a 7inch tablet, it is like pepsi vs coke. I rather keep my $ in my pocket. Not worth it. Dont believe everything you read on the internet. I, for one, will ignore this HD specification on a 7 in tablet.

I am not saying anything about 10in tablet. For one, I aint got any... yet

bun
I can't fault you for your opinions, as I'm not there.
But I see a large difference between 480p and 600p on a 7" device.

Hell, I noticed the jagged effect of PenTile on the SGS when people denied it (until Retina Display arrived then suddenly everyone noticed it too). I still barely notice PenTile jaggedness on my NOTE (800p on 5.3in) from a normal distance, but only if I go looking for it.

480p (WVGA) on a 7in device is okay...for a digital photo-frame.
For anyone serious to use the tablet, I think 600p should be a minimum requirement. In most cases, you're paying an extra $15-25 (not $50) to upgrade to a 600p screen...the thing you're going to be interacting 90% of the time. And the OEM usually adds other things to sweeten the value like: wifi N, double (1GB) RAM, upgraded (2MP) camera, and even a newer processor (AML-M6 > A10).

So, yes it is absolutely worthwhile (necessary imho) investment to go from 480p->600p when looking for a budget tablet.

Craplet =/= Digital Photo frame.

P.S. I'm thinking of putting anal on two elf with 7inches. I'll pick one up. Modify the crap out of it. And gift it for friends. I have no need for tablets because of SGNote.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
But there's no craplet with both a GPS and 1024x600 res just yet is there? Except maybe something like a 10", like Samsung makes?

Ok I just ordered this one off of Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I think it looks like the same one that bunanson has, with the GPS. Not bad at $93 shipped.

So I am wondering from bunanson or anyone else who would know, what are some good links for some discussion on setting this thing up, do I need to root it, are there any other ROMs that would work better, what are the best programs to put on it etc? Thanks in advance, guys.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
For anyone serious to use the tablet
using toys seriously defies their sole purpose
anyways, for what little android can be used(shitty games not on par with handheld consoles and multimedia purposes, certainly not for browsing the web as that part is utter crap on anything except n900 or a real PC. and god forbid doing any real work on an android device, i would rather take the swift death than an agonizing torture resulting in a slow painful death of doing anything on an android...)

Tags
android, chineseknockoff