Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
i control my tablet from desktop with "synergy"

Originally Posted by sljonson View Post
There is an appliation which allows you to VNC to an existing X-server. It's called, appropriately, X11vnc. There is a port for Maemo 5, but it's currently in the Maemo Extras Development repository. It's functional, but it has a few annoying quirks that need to be worked out (like hitting Enter remotely on the X Terminal brings up the virtual keyboard.)
I managed to get x11vnc working, i can remote the n900 from my laptop successfully, and vice verca too....

but thats from home, all under my control... but how do I do it from work pc - as the work pc is all on the work domain

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
wat is synergy please?

"Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems..."

It's great. I use it between my desktop PC and my netbook (both running versions of GNU/Linux, as it happens). To make the setup easier I use the quicksynergy graphical user interface.

It looks as if somebody ported synergy and even quicksynergy to earlier versions of Maemo, but I can't find a package for fremantle.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
You talking about the N900 or one of the previous tablets??? I was unaware synergy was ported to the N900 - and don't see it in any of the normal 3 repositories...

Synergy on the N900 would be *awesome*.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

x11vnc works, but it seems too slow to work comfortably.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Allemagne
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Synergy on the N900 would be *awesome*.
synergyc from easy debian is working on my n900 (binary is attached, if you need it).

However I can not figure out how get maemo to display a mouse pointer at all times (and solutions proposed in this do not work). Makes it a guessing game if the application doesn't show a cursor... but keyboard works fine.

And you need to keep the screen lit (i.e. with the brigthness applet), as synergy doesn't keep it awake.
Attached Files
File Type: gz synergyc.tar.gz (150.8 KB, 1025 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shanezlar For This Useful Post:
x11vnc works ... can u plz give a rundown.

are u installing x11vnc on n900
vnc viewer on pc

OR

vnc viewer on n900
x11vnc on pc

---------------

after installation, what extra steps you took.

Originally Posted by Shanezlar View Post
synergyc from easy debian is working on my n900 (binary is attached, if you need it).

However I can not figure out how get maemo to display a mouse pointer at all times (and solutions proposed in this do not work). Makes it a guessing game if the application doesn't show a cursor... but keyboard works fine.

And you need to keep the screen lit (i.e. with the brigthness applet), as synergy doesn't keep it awake.
Do I need to have easy debian installed or I can use provided file directly on n900?

Could you please provide steps for installation?

Thanks,
BugHunter

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bangalore
Hi,

I have used X11VNC and it works fine ... No need to worry it will not crash your N900

1. Install X11VNC from Extra-devel repository on N900
2. Install a VNC Viewer on your PC
3. Start the X11VNC on N900
4. Start the VNC Viewer and PC and connect to the IP address of your N900

and VOILA! your ready to go ... You will see the N900 UI on your PC and
You can use your PC Mouse and Keyboard to control the N900