I love these kind of threads
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to tele For This Useful Post:
Of those listed. only prdoom and vgba are in extras. if you're not working on the other apps yourself and testing your new versions of them. or testing and rating someone else's packages in extras-testing while keeping a backup of your n900 and having flasher-3.5 ready for when it goes wrong, you probably shouldn't have extras-devel or extras-testing enabled at all.

As for extras proper, I agree it shouldn't have broken stuff or stuff that's dangerous.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Of those listed. only prdoom and vgba are in extras. if you're not working on the other apps yourself and testing your new versions of them. or testing and rating someone else's packages in extras-testing while keeping a backup of your n900 and having flasher-3.5 ready for when it goes wrong, you probably shouldn't have extras-devel or extras-testing enabled at all.
May I humbly guess that, while K1ll3rm4n has extras-testing and extras-devel enabled on his N900, he has never bothered rating any of the apps he installs from these repositories? Given the dismal overall quality of the apps in these repos (or "garbage", as K1ll3rm4n eloquently called them), it is no wonder that he is not voting for them, don't you think?

Also, it is quite possible that the community has not made the sufficient effort to inform K1ll3rm4n of the voting mechanism that governs the app promotion from extras-testing to extras. I am sure we should all be ashamed of ourselves for not doing enough to keep K1ll3rm4n informed of the opportunities available to him at maemo.org. Right? RIGHT? RRRIGHT?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I don't see any reason why this thread shouldn't be deleted or merged into one of the other whining threads.

Is time going to fix this issue like it fixes every urgency or problem? Even if nothing is done for it I mean if Meego ever comes all application not ported to it will vanish...

Originally Posted by fms View Post
May I humbly guess that, while K1ll3rm4n has extras-testing and extras-devel enabled on his N900, he has never bothered rating any of the apps he installs from these repositories? Given the dismal overall quality of the apps in these repos (or "garbage", as K1ll3rm4n eloquently called them), it is no wonder that he is not voting for them, don't you think?

Also, it is quite possible that the community has not made the sufficient effort to inform K1ll3rm4n of the voting mechanism that governs the app promotion from extras-testing to extras. I am sure we should all be ashamed of ourselves for not doing enough to keep K1ll3rm4n informed of the opportunities available to him at maemo.org. Right? RIGHT? RRRIGHT?
Reposted for emphasis - yes absolutely correct
I forget all the time to vote and when i remember
need to do all the same searching and digging to get back to the
proper place to actually do so.
It is not as if there is a notice floating around in my browser
or the n900 itself to remind us 'did you vote on this app you just installed?'
And I would bet there are a majority of people here who have never
even heard about how important the voting is...

The system is not broken but it sure needs some improvements.

We need some kind of voting system in place that
is accessible in an application manager perhaps?
This would help keep votes relevant to what we actually use maybe.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Originally Posted by fms View Post

Ye, you are rrright that I didnt voted/ commented any application becouse I get all apps dirrectly from repositories, I dont even remember when I visited download section last time.

I guess that thing is resolved so you can lock/delete this thread, thanks

Perhaps this guy should be in charge of clean up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gIpuIVE3k

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
I'm against the idea of closing down a thread just because it is negative. This is a valid point, not so much for extras-devel since only those pointed to very specific apps should be using those, but that in extras-testing sometimes there are apps that just aren't worth testing and you don't know that.

The community currently has two different mechanisms which have both been mentioned already.

The extras-testing voting is meant to make sure the applications have a certain level of very basic quality (shouldn't harm device, should be able to do basic promised functions) before going into the end-user repository of Extras. This is done through yes/no and comments.

There is then the Maemo download page which allows viewing of download statistics, rating, and comments.

The feedback loop for these has not been the best. The more steps to do something the less likely people will do it. Someone (Atilla?) has been working on KISSTester to help with the extras-testing voting. There is another app called App Downloader which was being developed to allow browsing of the repository with being able to view votes and vote on them. I am unsure what the current status of either of these applications is (would be cool if that was integrated into Faster Application Manager).

Texrat is leading up an effort in Meego to try to have all of these things pulled together. Through their whole BOSS system they hope to have both work flows integrated into things.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't see anything wrong with the original post. Bullies can attack the original poster and call for the thread to be closed, but I don't think that is appropriate or necessary.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
op has no shame, worstthreadever