I ask because me wife is away for a month and this would be the ideal time for me to try to score one on ebay (just saw one go for $312 a few minutes ago so they are coming into my target zone). thing is I would be using my regular sprint phone for at least a month and thus would really only use it at home with my wireless or in a starbucks or something in the meantime...so would that work or does the phone have to have a sim card to work. also would I be able to get the 1.2 update via wireless or do you need to do that through the spring network or something. sorry for the dumb questions but I have never owned a smart phone before...thanks...

Last edited by extendedping; 2010-06-16 at 04:08.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I ask because me wife is away for a month and this would be the ideal time for me to try to score one on ebay (just saw one go for $312 a few minutes ago so they are coming into my target zone). thing is I would be using my regular sprint phone for at least a month and thus would really only use it at home with my wireless or in a starbucks or something in the meantime...so would that work or does the phone have to have a sim card to work. also would I be able to get the 1.2 update via wireless or do you need to do that through the spring network or something. sorry for the dumb questions but I have never owned a smart phone before...thanks...
GO FOR IT AND GET IT, you do NOT need a sim card for the phone to work, and will be ABLE to use the wireless anywhere, anytime!!!

EDIT: P.S you will be able to upgrade to 1.2 via wifi, so ur good to go in that regards as well

thanks, so I will have a little laptop till I get the sim card, which I assume is what gives both the phone and the sprint data capabilities.

thanks, so I will have a little laptop till I get the sim card, which I assume is what gives both the phone and the sprint data capabilities.
Clarification here, since this thread made a nice mess of things:

Sprint uses CDMA, which the N900 is not compatible with. You can only use the N900 on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US.

The device will function without a sim card, but you will not be able to make or receive non-emergency calls, nor will you be able to use cellular data unless you tether it. You will have wifi, as the above poster mentioned, however.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Clarification here, since this thread made a nice mess of things:

Sprint uses CDMA, which the N900 is not compatible with. You can only use the N900 on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US.

The device will function without a sim card, but you will not be able to make or receive non-emergency calls, nor will you be able to use data unless you tether it.
ah I should have been clearer...I am on sprint but would move to tmobile (after breaking it to my wife that I snuck the phone behind her back) after she is back from europe in 5 weeks. I see I put sprint data in the title, oops should be tmobile let me fix that...

If I told her my plans now, she might not come back...

so I would use my "dumb" lg phone which only has voice, while learning linux on the n900 should I buy it, for the next few weeks, then switch...

Last edited by extendedping; 2010-06-16 at 03:48.

ah I should have been clearer...I am on sprint but would move to tmobile (after breaking it to my wife that I snuck the phone behind her back) after she is back from europe in 5 weeks. I see I put sprint data in the title, oops should be tmobile let me fix that...

If I told her my plans now, she might not come back...

so I would use my "dumb" lg phone which only has voice, while learning linux on the n900 should I buy it, for the next few weeks, then switch...
Quite the naughty one, aren't you

But yeah, sounds like you've got it sorted out.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I just read an article saying that Starbucks will be offering free wireless for all starting July 1, so that's another argument for you getting an N900.