Is it true that PR1.3 WONT support dual-booting?

The Nokia N900 is used as development hardware for platform developers working with MeeGo on ARM hardware architecture. While the software from the MeeGo project runs on the Nokia N900 for development purposes, Nokia does not intend to provide a dual-boot OS option to consumers in upcoming N900 commercial software releases as we want to ensure that we provide the best possible experience designed for that device. The meego.com blog post was primarily targeted to the audience reading the blog: MeeGo developers.
http://thenokiablog.com/2010/10/13/n...al-boot-meego/

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Seriously, does anyone on t.m.o. read? I feel like bashing my head against the wall while trying to parse this for useful posts.

FAQ:
  • Dual booting:
    1.3 will probably contain a "fix" to the OS that will make dual booting easier. It will not provide nor will there ever be an officially (Nokia) supported dual boot option for the N900. Dual booting into Meego or NITdroid is already possible through community-supported methods.
  • Meego
    Feature freeze on Meego 1.1 has happened, and it will be released in the next few weeks. Meego 1.1 is not a full-featured, consumer-ready OS. 1.2 will be much closer, and will come out in six months. There may be backports from 1.2 that will make 1.1 a viable option over Maemo 5 for N900 owners before that time, but that depends on work by interested volunteers.
  • Flash
    There is absolutely no reason to believe that Flash 10 will ever be available as part of the official system. Adobe wants licensing for (mobile) Flash 10 that Nokia understandably doesn't want to pay (again) for the N900. Edit: apparently this changed in 10.1, after drama with Apple, Nokia, Macromedia, etc. I suspect Nokia still isn't going to bother with the resources to prepare, test and deploy at this point.

A hacked 9.x Flash that reports itself as version 10.x is available. It will make websites that require flash 10 but don't actually use the new features (i.e. most sites) work properly.
  • When?
    Nokia has a policy that updates are released "when ready", and as such do not announce them in advance. You'll get PR1.3 when they determine it's ready.
  • So what is in PR1.3?
    All the bug fixes since 1.2 (week 19) and the release week that the PR1.3 is taken from. The current candidate is from week 36. This is the list of the 99 bugs marked as fixed between those two weeks. There will probably be some other minor updates to official apps. Nothing more than that is confirmed by any vaguely reliable source AFAIK.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-10-19 at 16:23. Reason: Added bugtracker search link

The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Seriously, does anyone on t.m.o. read?
I'm pretty sure they read, whether they comprehend it is an entirely separate question to which the answer is usually "no."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
what? we dont know? Thats not a good thing.
let's say: we can't say any specific dates.

also we need to redefine "soon"

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
how can it be good news when we dont have a date. In fact the only good thing we got at the moment is this thread.

can be be today. can be tomorrow can be never.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I'm pretty sure they read, whether they comprehend it is an entirely separate question to which the answer is usually "no."
Pretty much.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Seriously, does anyone on t.m.o. read? I feel like bashing my head against the wall while trying to parse this for useful posts.
I'm feeling like this since the N900 was released...
It will be even worse after the release of the N9...

Funny times ahead!

OT: maybe I should run a small competition.
"Find it and get it" or something like that...

What do you think?

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland
Great day

check out e-yes's twitter http://twitter.com/drunkdebugger
This confirm that NITdroid 0.0.9 It's not a rumor:P

Last edited by kamil365; 2010-10-15 at 17:08.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Flash 10 will ever be available as part of the official system. Adobe wants licensing for (mobile) Flash 10 that Nokia understandably doesn't want to pay (again) for the N900.
Since the release of Flash 10.1, manufacturers no longer have to pay per device.

Can I license Flash Player for distribution on mobile devices?

Members of the Open Screen Project are able to distribute Flash Player 10.1 with their devices royalty free; however, a license (contract) still needs to be in place between Adobe and the licensee.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/faq/

Times have changed at Adobe. They need Flash on every platform they can get. The Android version is free for all in the Android Market. It's up to Nokia to port Flash 10.1 with hardware acceleration and all the bells and whistles, but since Maemo is dying and the focus has shifted to MeeGo they probably won't do it anytime soon, or ever.

Last edited by SD.; 2010-10-15 at 19:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD. For This Useful Post:
Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
how can it be good news when we dont have a date. In fact the only good thing we got at the moment is this thread.

can be be today. can be tomorrow can be never.
that's very true.

Tags
bestthreadever, meego, o6eew, open mobile ftw, pr1.3, stop talking, wegoo meego