Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I guess that doesn't extend to private messages.
It s mean that he prefer also open sourced messages than private one.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Who's going to start the "community members should get karma based on the relevance of their posts" thread?

bummer, in all seriousness I wouldn't be shocked if Quim turned off his private messages so that he wouldn't have to deal with a flood of "can you send me a developer device?!" private messages. Poor guy's probably got an inbox overflowing with requests already.

And now back to the brainstorm at hand.

I do like the idea of mixing 2 and 3 as mentioned earlier. Hmm.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-09-10 at 22:33.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I'm going to have to defend bummers right to ask; why does Quim or Nokia even care what a members karma is? Are there prizes to be won?

I appreciate the push to Maemo5 but at some point someone is going to realize that quite a few of the members/developers/enthusiasts on this board are here for what the N8**'s aspired to be. And that BTW, did not include a dang cell phone.

Now Nokia is asking these same members to pay 60%* more for a device that has features they either don't want or can't use. For many, that price is to high to pay. Particularly when they are already holding a perfectly good device in their hand (an existing tablet) that has yet to reach its full potential.

At the same time these same members are seeing threads telling them that they can "help" Maemo5 by contacting developers and telling them to pour all future efforts into new versions of their apps that won't run on the older devices.

I can see where some might feel left out or left behind. Can anyone else?

*N800 original MSRP = $399

@bummer... Unfortunately that's the way the world goes 'round. However, I believe that we will see a new wave of enthusiasm and member support for the older devices as they are passed down or sold. Take it easy on Quim, he has been good for this community so far and I believe he will continue to be a valuable resource to users of the older devices, as his time permits.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-09-11 at 01:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I'm going to have to defend bummers right to ask; why does Quim or Nokia even care what a members karma is? Are there prizes to be won?

I appreciate the push to Maemo5 but at some point someone is going to realize that quite a few of the members/developers/enthusiasts on this board are here for what the N8**'s aspired to be. And that BTW, did not include a dang cell phone.

Now Nokia is asking these same members to pay 60%* more for a device that has features they either don't want or can't use. For many, that price is to high to pay. Particularly when they are already holding a perfectly good device in their hand (an existing tablet) that has yet to reach its full potential.

At the same time these same members are seeing threads telling them that they can "help" Maemo5 by contacting developers and telling them to pour all future efforts into new versions of their apps that won't run on the older devices.

I can see where some might feel left out or left behind. Can anyone else?

*N800 original MSRP = $399

@bummer... Unfortunately that's the way the world goes 'round. However, I believe that we will see a new wave of enthusiasm and member support for the older devices as they are passed down or sold. Take it easy on Quim, he has been good for this community so far and I believe he will continue to be a valuable resource to users of the older devices, as his time permits.
No one is denying his right to ask. This thread just isn't exactly the best time for asking and it's for that reason that I won't go into why a good amount of what you said afterwards is wrong.

If you guys want to discuss it, open a new thread.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Not me ...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Karma is a reputation system that was discussed, implemented and fine tuned within the Maemo community. Like in any reputation system, if you don't like it you can just ignore it, push for improving it or remove it. But this is not the point of this thread.

Karma is one of the elements taken into account in the device programs targetting Maemo contrigbutors. These days we are working on the N900 device program and it's quite evident that developers are ranked with all kinds of distortions and the system seems to praise more the ones talking than the ones coding. Some coders talk a lot, some others don't.

It's too late for any fix now, but it's good to brainstorm for the future. I think we should discuss these ideas thinking on the Maemo 5 timeline, and the implementation should help evaluating the reputation of developers in the near future.

My proposals are not discriminating downloads or evaluations of apps per targeted devices so I don't see the point of discussing something like the N900 price point and the telephony features. There are threads for that already open. Actually the karma system in itself tends to praise the developers that have been here for a long time over the newcomers attracted by the N900, that will start from scratch (but could catch up fast if their apps were great and some of the ideas in this proposal were implemented).

I disabled the private messages in ITT few days after registering, since I don't want to get questions that can be made in public. People that really want to contact me privately can find out pretty easily how to do it. But this is beyond the point of this proposal.

Any other rants you have with Nokia are beyond the point of this proposal. Please get used to see Nokia employees discussing openly about things and keep the discussions on topic no matter what. Creating a new thread linking it from here takes only a little extra effort. Really appreciated.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
What about people who provide large amounts of software that is not in the garage. Is there some way I can provide my download numbers from my websites (penguinbait.com / tablethacker.com) and have them count towards karma?

Or is not being in the garage BAD karma
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
As long as your software goes through Extras and shows up in maemo.org/downloads, the rest is quite irrelevant.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Do we really get karma for "Garage projects"? The http://wiki.maemo.org/Karma page says so, but then does not explain how's it calculated. And today's the first time I've read about it.

If it's true and Garage is a karma source, then I'd vote for it to be removed too. It would only promote the creation of "empty" garage projects; there are quite a few already.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
It would only promote the creation of "empty" garage projects; there are quite a few already.
Thanks for reminding me. I've got one myself and I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it. Help?

Tags
application karma, brainstorm, developers, downloads, karma, karma from applications, maemo.org