Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
As some of you know, I tend to be a fan of mobile web servers. There are a number of them out there, and personally I use Nokia's MWS with pretty much any Symbian S60 device that gets in my hands. I feel that *being* the web is just as important as browsing it.

So there's this new product called Opera Unite. Basically, its a browser that is also a web server. Essentially, making the browser a nice two-lane highway for sharing, colaboration, and pretty much anything else that you can think of.

And given the AJAX (HTML, CSS, JS, SVG) framework, this takes what Opera has already done with widgets and pushes it even further.

So it had me thinking, This would be perfect for the IT (especially if the IT could stay charged all day while connected via Wi-Fi). Essentially one could turn their IT into a destination point on the Web, and then with context-sensitive applications, one could really engage into some neat mobile experiences.

An IT user could essentially "be the web."

Totally cool don't you think (if Unite or another MWS comes along); and as far as I can tell, this is the future of the web that isn't 3rd party services oriented. Which is also a good thing

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
... i don't wanna be a series of tubes and pipes...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Essentially its not a web server, but an Opera provided service. You have to go through their servers to get to your information. No thanks.

And Opera widgets are utterly useless...

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
As some of you know, I tend to be a fan of mobile web servers.
We have been experimenting with a web server + framework + browser combo in the Midgard App Builder project.

Considered that midgard2 already works on Fremantle, I think a mobile web server using that and MidCOM3 can't be far. And then you can have a local server that replicates.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
And Opera widgets are utterly useless...
Opera widgets are useful indeed. I.e. do I use a ruler one all the time, which helps me tweak the heights and widths of web page elements when I develop.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
We have been experimenting with a web server + framework + browser combo in the Midgard App Builder project.

Considered that midgard2 already works on Fremantle, I think a mobile web server using that and MidCOM3 can't be far. And then you can have a local server that replicates.
Thanks for this; I didn't know about this project. I'll be adding my eyes to it.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
I'd love to have Unite on my N810 (mostly because then I'd have Opera too! )

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm curious, what is the advantage of having a web server on your mobile device (other than offline browsing or web development)? What advantage is there to this over a client-only setup? Why do you need the two-lane highway?

Hmm, thinking about it... If you have a service to share, such as a webcam, a web server can act as a GUI...

What else?

I wrote an (admitably, simple) Python-based webserver for Quick Clip (0.5.0, not released yet) to allow you to browse your files from anywhere

I'm a step ahead of Opera, I tell ya

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Given that there is already a port of Apache out there, I don't get it. I've had people connect to my tablet and see my camera. It was fun for a minute. Then the battery died.