So I've been considering buy the N810 for a few weeks now. Most of the reviews are 6 months plus old, and I'm wondering, for those who have been using it for some time now, how is it? Do you guys think it's worth the ~$325 it's running for now? What I'm looking for is this: A decent media player, a flexible software platform, something to browse the web / check email, and something stable. The GPS is a luxury, but not needed. It also must fit in my pocket. I'm trying to avoid going the direction of the Ipod Touch. I don't like closed-source standards, and I try to avoid them at all costs. The pure crazy fanaticism I've seen with some people and their Apples just drives me nuts as well. I'm wondering though, what's everyone's take on the two compared (as unbiased as possible)? Are there any other alternatives I should look into?

Also just curious, since I haven't seen many reviews touch on this, but how well does it function as an mp3 player? Some have said the volume is too low.

I would say wait for another 2-3month. MID market is waiting to explode soon, I am sure nokia is not be sitting quitely as they already have the experience more than most in this field. Nokia might come up with something to fight these MIDs sooner than we think (a paltry 400Mhz OMAP processor would not be able to fight 800 mhz-1.6gz Intel atom). Also with ubuntu mobile and other open source operating systems along with traditional Windows you will have more choices in the field of software too, and in the process you will have a lot more choices to choose from, better ones than currently available!

I think the N900 is their answer to that pending explosion. I know I've enjoyed my N810, but it leaves something to be desired. I'm expecting that the way things have matured from the 770, the 900 and any successors will pretty effectively crush any competition coming up against Nokia. Well, so long as they don't flub the next OS or MID release.

My only complaint is the Hardware.. the 400mhz proc leaves a lot to be desired.

As far as Ubuntu Mobile.. well.. I can load a full Debian on it now - so that's not really a benefit you need to wait for. With Debian comes full KDE, Gnome, XFCE, and mayhaps soon Enlightenment.. So the realm of software and WM's is pretty much covered. Unless you really want windows.

The built-in software isn't that great in maemo.. but there are really good apps that have been ported for it.. Canola for Media Playing, The built in MicroB is fine for normal Browsing.. There seem to be some people with issues with the built-in eMail application ... though I personally have not experienced any.

As far as something Stable... well... I suppose if you keep only the default stuff and never change it .. it could be considered mostly stable .

Anytime you add 3rd party anything's to any software platform you decrease stability... but to this point I've loved my N810.. no other device gives me Debian in my Pocket.

If you can wait.. see if they come out with better hardware soon.. if you're looking to buy quickly - I don't think you'll be disappointed.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by acidrain View Post
Nokia might come up with something to fight these MIDs sooner than we think (a paltry 400Mhz OMAP processor would not be able to fight 800 mhz-1.6gz Intel atom)!
The intel devices will be more powerful and will run 3d accellerated guis and whatnot, but for battery life ARM is still king. None of those intel devices will have 4-6h hour battery life with active use like the n810. Probably more around 2.5h. And most are larger, so It basically depends on your needs. The Gigabyte M528/Aigo mid does look very nice.

Also there have been lots of discussions about iPod Touch/iPhone here. Do a search for them.

I would also say to wait a bit. However, I say that there is one area where "a paltry 400Mhz OMAP processor" beats the hell out of a "800 mhz-1.6gz Intel atom" battery life.
D'oh iamthewalrus beat me to it.

Last edited by D'ohboy; 2008-08-25 at 17:40. Reason: Too slow

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
The intel devices will be more powerful and will run 3d accellerated guis and whatnot, but for battery life ARM is still king. None of those intel devices will have 4-6h hour battery life with active use like the n810. Probably more around 2.5h. And most are larger, so It basically depends on your needs. The Gigabyte M528/Aigo mid does look very nice.

Also there have been lots of discussions about iPod Touch/iPhone here. Do a search for them.
Actually, this might surprise you a lot, but Intel's Atom has been crushed by Via's Nano in power and performance. What's funnier though is that AMD may now get into the MID market with their own chip, and they don't even need to do any special development on it either, because it already exists! What is it you ask? Would you believe it's a dual core Athlon x2-2000? Seriously. Someone took an Athlon X2-2000 and ran it at 8watts (Atom and Nano can't touch that with a 20 foot pole!) and it beat both the Atom and the Nano.

If you don't believe me, here's the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/17/a...energy-than-a/

Of course if AMD does put out a MID chip using that setup, Via might soon beat them with a 1 watt chip.

http://www.i4u.com/article11020.html

The downside to the 1 watt via chip is that it's only 500mhz. Overclocking it to 1ghz (highest it will so FWIU) nearly quadruples its wattage. So the AMD chip beats it in performance, even though it doesn't beat it in power usage. Really though, if the Via chip, or AMD chip can beat the Arm at processing power (A 400mhz Arm processor does a whole lot more than a processor 4x's its size on x86 can), offer higher mhz, and much, much lower power consumption, we'd really be in business for the next release if Nokia went with those.

And if my research is correct, they might have a chance, since apparently the Arm9 uses 2.5 watts by itself at 400mhz, or 5 watts when you include all draw from the board itself. Honestly, I'd love to have a 2ghz Athlon chip in my next Nokia tablet, if AMD can pull it off and reduce the usage to an equal to or lesser wattage than the Arm. If not, I'll go with Via's chip. But I'm comfortable to say that I suspect that they'll reduce the draw by the cpu's even more as time goes on, which means Arm's days as king of the MID are drawing to an end, which is just extra bonus for us. heh.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Alright, I see this topic going in a completely different direction, which is completely fine...but before it does, here's my deal: I'm looking for something to use for school, which starts again in about a month. I have a feeling the N900 isn't going to be out until at least early 09? I have wifi all over campus. I'm looking for something to work nicely as an mp3 player, and let me comfortably surf the web while I'm out and about. I don't want a new phone though, and I refuse to pay for a data plan. My main concern is...How well does the n810 (with Canola) perform as an mp3 player? How's the volume / quality? I'm not looking to run a Nintendo 64 emulator on a mobile device (though that'd kick ***). The more processing power, the more battery life is sacrificed.

While I'm at it asking questions, how's the wifi antenna on the n810? Good range? Bad range?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
I LOVE my 810.. I would gladly pay $410 again for it (what I paid last December).. Canola (IMHO) is a really good mediaplayer, no complaints here... Maemo Mapper is a great piece of GPS Software... I use mine DAILY, which is a lot more than I can say for my 770, or even the iPhone that I had...

iPhone was neat, but lacked a lot of useful software, for me anyway... I use my 810 at work for quick wireless coverage checks, telnet to routers and AP's while I am walking the manufacturing floors, etc. I can VPN into the office when I am on the road..

For me I would not hesitate to buy another... I have owned Palm Treo's, iPhones, and my previous fav, Sharp Zaurus.... This by far gets more use..

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
And if my research is correct, they might have a chance, since apparently the Arm9 uses 2.5 watts by itself at 400mhz, or 5 watts when you include all draw from the board itself. Honestly, I'd love to have a 2ghz Athlon chip in my next Nokia tablet, if AMD can pull it off and reduce the usage to an equal to or lesser wattage than the Arm. If not, I'll go with Via's chip. But I'm comfortable to say that I suspect that they'll reduce the draw by the cpu's even more as time goes on, which means Arm's days as king of the MID are drawing to an end, which is just extra bonus for us. heh.
Er, more like the whole goddamn tablet uses 2.5 watt (the tablets are ARM11, actually). So, no, they really don't have a chance.