Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It occurred to me that a joke could run something like "wow, that's an interesting picture of the eee pc being balanced on the upraised hand -- how do you use it like that?"

The point is, you can't hold an eee pc in your hand particularly well, and inputting text while you're doing it is more difficult still.

That is what makes me think that the central point of a tablet should be hand-centered, not pocket-centered. The cool thing is that you can hold it in your hand and use it and it's a computer. The difference between it and, say, the eee pc, is that you can make the Nokia tablet bigger and it still could be used while be held in the hand, whereas I don't think even the smallest eee pc (mine is the 1000h, with a 10 inch screen) can comfortably be used that way.

Theme song for the future Nokia tablet: "He's got the whole Internet -- in his hand; she's got the whole Internet -- in her hand, they've got the whole world in their hands."

Or something like that, a takeoff on an ancient hit song.

Or, for those still fixated on their pockets, "he's got the whole internet -- in his pocket," but that just doesn't have the same ring, does it?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Willowave View Post
Hey Bun,
I have 3 or 4 frankenstiened Pentium 3's if you are looking to adopt
YES, if they are ibm thinkpad laptops. I fix them and donate them to elderly/senior citizens. They are relatively easy to fix. I will pay shipment or a small $ out of pockets too if you want to get rid of them.

bun

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
That is what makes me think that the central point of a tablet should be hand-centered, not pocket-centered. The cool thing is that you can hold it in your hand and use it and it's a computer. The difference between it and, say, the eee pc, is that you can make the Nokia tablet bigger and it still could be used while be held in the hand, whereas I don't think even the smallest eee pc (mine is the 1000h, with a 10 inch screen) can comfortably be used that way.
The central point of the tablet IS that it is hand centered. The design has been several years in the making, including everything from the OS to the touchscreen to the HW keys. That is why shrunk-down Wintel UMPC tablets, although handheld, don't work well as a handheld.

Use both. I looked at a Acer by HP with Linux at Office Depot. It is cheap at $269 and I can have it with Ubuntu. I travel lite so I will be sticking with my N810 for now, unless a client insist I have a laptop.

Dear all,

I cannot consider the N810be be a carry around computer,instead of an Internet Tablet because of one thing that the Acer and the other netbooks have, and the n810 does not have:

* VGA out

If I wanted to use the n810 as a PC replacement then a VGA is what it would have to have. Then one can take it home and plug it into a TV or LCD, or take it to work and plug it into the work LCD screens in the office. Sadly, if work asked me what I would like as a notebook/ desktop replacement, then I would opt for an EEE PC because of the VGA out. I cannot peer at a screen this small for hours on end. I type this note from my Vaio, which is easier on my eyes that at present do not require glasses!

If the n810 had a VGA out then I would sell my notebook/ laptop and change to the N810. There is a VGA-USB project on the go. Its good work, but still in progress.

The second killer for the N810 would be HSPA/EDGE connectivity.

Regards, Z.

I have not read the whole thread so sorry if this has already been pointed out.

Originally Posted by zii View Post
Dear all,

I cannot consider the N810be be a carry around computer,instead of an Internet Tablet because of one thing that the Acer and the other netbooks have, and the n810 does not have:

* VGA out

If I wanted to use the n810 as a PC replacement then a VGA is what it would have to have. Then one can take it home and plug it into a TV or LCD, or take it to work and plug it into the work LCD screens in the office. Sadly, if work asked me what I would like as a notebook/ desktop replacement, then I would opt for an EEE PC because of the VGA out. I cannot peer at a screen this small for hours on end. I type this note from my Vaio, which is easier on my eyes that at present do not require glasses!

If the n810 had a VGA out then I would sell my notebook/ laptop and change to the N810. There is a VGA-USB project on the go. Its good work, but still in progress.

The second killer for the N810 would be HSPA/EDGE connectivity.

Regards, Z.

Not being suitable as your only computer isn't at all the same thing as not being a computer; I'd be much happier with solid video output as well, but that doesn't prevent me from using my N800 much more like a pocket computer than a pocket WebTV. Then again, I need a desktop for actual work, so it wouldn't be my only computer in any case, and I don't find the screen disturbingly small physically at all; I just want more pixels, and presentation capability is a nice bonus.

But your insistence on VGA seems strange. DVI/HDMI would seem preferable these days (many new monitors have no VGA, so VGA-only would obsolete it before its time), and TV-out more likely of all (Nokia smartphones often have it, and it seems very likely the next tablet, which has HSPA, will have TV-out). Wouldn't either of those be suitable?

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
there is support for a vga usb dongle floating around.

and wwan support have been heavily debated. some want it, some dont...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by zii View Post
Dear all,

* VGA out

If the n810 had a VGA out then I would sell my notebook/ laptop and change to the N810. There is a VGA-USB project on the go. Its good work, but still in progress. The second killer for the N810 would be HSPA/EDGE connectivity.

Regards, Z.

Someone looked at the alpha SDK and it appears that both video out and HSPA may be in the next version of the tablet. There is no indication yet whether the video out will have a resolution greater than 800x480.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
i use my tablet as principle computer a lot of the time.
I also use my windows desktop to edit files from my n810.

If I want to go out i slide it into my pocket and go.
I can use it for whatever I want or need, but I still prefer to find a large machine to do major coding.

I think having the tv-out would help here, using my apple keyboard and a normal monitor (or pico projector or whatever it is) with my nokia would be a blessing and I could completely cut out the desktop

hasta-la-vista microsoft

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
and they say that pocket focused guis cant scale up (see comments relating to recent android port to netbooks around the relevant blogs).

Last edited by tso; 2009-01-06 at 14:38.