Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
ICS, 8G, was $130, now $170 , Ainol NOVO7 Paladin - Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich!) Tablet PC, 7 Inch, Capacitive, 8GB, 1080P output, White

ICS = I Scream Sandwich

No. I have not bought it yet, but very tempted to , dont like the recent price hike, the $40 inrease.

And i am still waiting for the successor of WM8650, the chip 8710 is out, faster, and render 3D, and a prototype was on Chinese CES... waiting to get a hand on one of these.

anybody has good experience with any android tablet/smartphone/pda whatnots, please chime in, if you bought one and like it, please list source too. Thanks.

bun

Rules for Craplets:
#1 - Never assume the given information is correct
#2 - Never assume it was incorrect accidentally
#3 - Whatever OS version it came with, is what you will be stuck on (unless you develop it personally, they lack driver sources and a community)
#4 - You can always negotiate/decrease the price

... with this in mind
-get a craplet with ICS pre-installed
-not priced >$300 no matter the specs
-be prepared to get your hands dirty with the software
-be careful of scammers and defective device/shi tquality

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-01-30 at 05:05.

How about Samsung Galaxy Player 4"? It is 200 bucks on Amazon.
I am very tempted to buy the 5" version, for 240 bucks.

I think for that price you can get a SGS, which means you can have telephony+3G+hotspot as well as the benefits of the "largest" developing community.

But whatever suits your wants, I guess

Where did you find that? Links?
And it doesn't have a 5" screen. The 4" screen Galaxy Player is 200 bucks.

You just gotta know where to look, craigslist/ebay/gumtree etc

Here's a quick one, only costs $170 Buy it Now (even cheaper if you bid)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung-G...#ht_500wt_1054

Ofcourse it won't be unopened-brand new, but you can find them in a near-new condition. That's how I got my *lightly used* Desire Z (now upgraded) for half price!

Let's compare apples to apples, shall we?
It's 190 USD + $38.00 shipping. And it's used (battery won't hold so much charge), and not a 5" screen. And I don't plan to buy a contract for 3G, it's too expensive, so the 3G is useless to me.

You're paying for the phone.
The 3G is just an accessory, you don't need to buy a contract.

What I'm trying to say is that instead of paying $300+ for another device, why don't you just carry one?

For $50-$100 more, you get a device with much better community support, the option of using it as a phone, get mobile internet, and probably a longer "obsolete" time.

Besides sources say these Galaxy S MIDs (yes I said mids) aren't that good quality as mids, probably due to glossy screen, bad mic, quite speaker, small battery etc etc. If you can compromise with an average quality mid, then getting a Smartphone is a better option, no?

But if your question is about a $200 tablet then you do have a point, since tablets are meant to surpass what you [can] do on a Smartphone.

Originally Posted by Radu View Post
How about Samsung Galaxy Player 4"? It is 200 bucks on Amazon.
I am very tempted to buy the 5" version, for 240 bucks.
Careful:

It cannot tether via BT.

Cannot tether via Wifi to Nokia or iPhones, as it does not support ad-hoc wifi.

You basically need a fully functioning hotspot. Problem with most Androids.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:
Well, I didn't get it to tether it with a phone, I got it for places where I have WiFi (home, friends).
It is not going to replace my N900, it's just going to complement it. So far, I am still getting used to Android (I don't like many things about it), but the device is pretty impressive. The screen is so big, and it's not heavier than the N900. And having working Flash is pretty cool too