To summarize: After reading though this thread numerous times, most of you seem very uninformed about the product you're so content on bashing. To the best of my knowledge they do not have a restocking fee.

If you are wanting to explore mobile technology further I suggest you buy an iPhone 4S, keep it at 5.1.1, jailbreak it - configure it how you want, and use it for 30 days. If you don't think it is worth the few hundred, return it and get your money back.

I have been messing around with mobile technology since the Philips VELO 500, which I bought new in the 1990's, with a 75MHz MIPS processor and a full 16 shades of grey for $800 or something along those lines. I like to experience new things, if I was going to get a tablet - it would most likely be an Android instead of an iPad - due to the fact that I need my phone to be reliable, I don't require that level of reliability out of a tablet.

I was one of the first people to get the N900, from the NYC Flagship store and you all knew when I replaced it with an iPhone. I have 437 posts on talk.maemo.org and have been thanked 262 times. I am not bashing the N900, from an objective standpoint - there is no competition it's like a HAM radio vs the internet. The argument for the ham radio would be: "When the internet goes down I will still be able to communicate!" - While that is true, it doesn't make the ham radio a better communications tool. That analogy might have been poor, I am tired.

It's 4 year old technology, reference Moore's Law, it will say this, hands down, it was the best smart phone of it's time. That is without debate in my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
To summarize even more:

Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
It's 4 year old technology, reference Moore's Law
That's really all you have to say. Your argument is that device X has more recent hardware than device Y, therefore X > Y.

No problem. I'm not in your situation, as the tasks I'm interested in don't need the most recent hardware. And, therefore, since that is your whole argument, I'm not likely to ever see eye to eye with you...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
To summarize even more:

That's really all you have to say. Your argument is that device X has more recent hardware than device Y, therefore X > Y.

No problem. I'm not in your situation, as the tasks I'm interested in don't need the most recent hardware. And, therefore, since that is your whole argument, I'm not likely to ever see eye to eye with you...
Are you fing delusional? Have you not read anything I wrote? Your assumption about the competition is you owned an iPhone for four years prior to you getting an N900. You're account was made here in 2010, are you basing what you know of iOS and iPhones off a device you owned in 2006?

I am not asking anyone to see eye to eye with me, I would just like people to be informed. This thread has proven that the majority of people speaking are NOT informed.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
relax guys; not seeing eye to eye

its a piece of hw+sw only nothing to get so serious about

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
I am not asking anyone to see eye to eye with me, I would just like people to be informed. This thread has proven that the majority of people speaking are NOT informed.
This applies to most of the people, most of the time, sadly, not just on the internet, but in general.

You're fighting an uphill battle here, and I applaud you... I wonder when will you give up.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Are you fing delusional? Have you not read anything I wrote?
Yes, I am fing delusional. I don't use social media on my phone, therefore I am fing delusional. I don't do my banking on my phone, therefore I am fing delusional. And yeah, I don't really care about HDMI out (especially since most modern TVs now have USB ports, which work even better than HDMI), I'm not interested in Siri, I don't use much mapping (I only rarely find myself needing a map in the first place, and the N900 has been fine for those times I've needed it), and I pretty much never use the billions and billions of other apps you can get on an iPhone.

YES, the iPhone has better games!!! YES, the iPhone has more fluid graphics!!! YES, the iPhone has wonderful apps!!! I completely agree with you there.

I'm just saying, that's not what I'm looking for in a mobile device. The N900 is almost exactly what I want in a mobile device. When you jailbreak an iPhone, when you add an external keyboard, when you tack on the IR dongle and the FM transmitter dongle and all the other dongles, when you add in command line utilities and make the file system accessible -- all those things simply make the iPhone more like the N900. And I've already got one of those.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
To summarize: After reading though this thread numerous times, most of you seem very uninformed about the product you're so content on bashing. To the best of my knowledge they do not have a restocking fee.

If you are wanting to explore mobile technology further I suggest you buy an iPhone 4S, keep it at 5.1.1, jailbreak it - configure it how you want, and use it for 30 days. If you don't think it is worth the few hundred, return it and get your money back.
Different people have different mobile phone usage and needs. It's nonsense to say "buy an iPhone 4S" to everybody, as well as "buy a Nokia N9" to everybody.

About this topic : I can enumerate some features that a Nokia Series 40 Asha 303 has that an iPhone (4S/5) doesn't. Useful features, used everyday by some users.

So, depending on the user needs and preferences, maybe a Nokia Asha 303, iPhone 5, Nokia N9, Nokia N900, etc, is better.

My case : I really use Easy Debian, gcc/g++, "ssh -X" on my N900 & N9. I can develop, compile, package and send a software to a repository (extras-devel) just using a N900. For my needs, any iPhone is not a viable solution, with or without jailbreak. For some users, iPhone is better. Simple as that.

Let us live in peace and not judge others and mandate what others to do.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-10-23 at 15:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by don.edri View Post
EDIT: and to be fair, I also think that iPhone being able to edit hd video / photos is also useless. Can't imagine why would one want to do that on such a tiny screen when your laptop seats on the desk. And being forced to do that on the go? I mean, why?
Are you kidding? If I had a tuppence for every time I fished I had such a feature in my digital camera...! Nothing fancy - after all, I am not going to author DVDs on my phone. No, that would be silly.

But consider just a couiple common use cases:
  • You've made a longer clip so as not to miss some action and want to cut a lead/tail/middle off;
  • You've made two short clips and want to stitch them together...
I understand that such a feature does not exist on a camcorder that records on a tape, but there is no excuse for it missing on anything that records to a memory card. Yet I am not aware of any device that is capable of such a small but useful feature.

Of course I have no idea how well iPhone is capable of doing that. I don't have an iPhone. I've never had an iPhone and will most likely never have one. (Although, who knows? That's what I used to think about Nokia until they became an underdog ) I just bring it forward because "nobody needs that" is the most criticized Apple paradigm. Using it to slag off a feature that iPhone actually does provide sounds rather ironic.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Different people have different mobile phone usage and needs. It's nonsense to say "buy an iPhone 4S" to everybody, as well as "buy a Nokia N9" to everybody.
Many people ask me for phone advice.
I tell them the N900 is the best smartphone for geeks who are smart and know software etc etc.

I tell them the flagship Android phone with community support (usually a Galaxy) is the best smartphone, but it has so many extras that require you to learn them.

For those who cannot code, cannot root, cannot change a Launcher... I tell them to get an iPhone.

This really is the best approach.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2011 @ india
which iphone have blutooth to send or receive files from non iphone users ?
Which iphone have capabilities to trnasmit FM to my car player and my room's FM player ?
Which Iphone supports USB OTG ?
how to receive files in your iphone from my laptop if i don't have itunes in my laptop ?
All this feature N900 users using since 2009 even ios6 released in 2012 doesn't have this features.....

Tags
bateman v nerds, clueless ii, iphone doucher, neckbeards pwnd