Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Some TJC posts related to exFAT support or not, where anybody can express and vote :
[Official announcement] Jolla Tablet returns to Indiegogo with updated tech specs!
This pool shows the 1st answer was best voted, asking for no-exFAT support :
[Poll] File System(s) support on SD card for Jolla Tablet
[Official announcement] Supporting larger microSD cards in the Jolla Tablet - Your input is needed!

If possible, it would be interesting to have exFAT support available in Jolla Store as a paid download, so only who really want it would pay.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-01-30 at 18:49.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...-jolla-tablet/

Lets see how many people want exFAT support. Upvote it!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Please, read the Jolla announcement. It said microSD 128GB support. It didn't say exFAT support.
It didn't need to. The SD standards mandate support for FAT 12/16 (<2GB), FAT32 (<32GB) and exFAT (<2TB). A microSD card >32GB by definition has an exFAT file system, or else it's not a microSD card. In other words: If you claim support for microSD>32GB, you must support exFAT.

Claiming support for microSD>32GB without exFAT is like selling audio CD players that don't support compact disc digital audio according to the Red Book. You might be able to convince a few constomers that it's a perfectly normal thing to burn ogg vorbis files to a CD ROM and that this is like all audio CD players should work... but most consumers will feel betrayed, and they're right. The name "audio CD" implies a certain technical standard, and when you buy such a device, you never see "complies to the Red Book" written anywhere on the price tag. Still, you can safely assume they do follow this standard. It's the same with SD cards above 32GB and exFAT.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It didn't need to. The SD standards mandate support for FAT 12/16 (<2GB), FAT32 (<32GB) and exFAT (<2TB). A microSD card >32GB by definition has an exFAT file system, or else it's not a microSD card. In other words: If you claim support for microSD>32GB, you must support exFAT.
Read :
https://together.jolla.com/question/...put-is-needed/
See what Jolla team says :
But that doesn't automatically make it "SDXC". Because of that trademark, even using the term "SD" requires that you are compatible. And the SD logo also assures users of compatibly. So, this means we need to support exFAT as a file system.
So Jolla Tablet will not have the SD logo if exFAT is not supported. But the microSD reader will work anyway.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Which part of Sailfish community asked to remove. For reasons not related to technical superiority, user friendliness or any comparable reason - only because of inability to cope with idea that OOB-support for SDXC would generate income for Microsoft. Anyone bother to guess what it sounds like in the ears of average user asking why he cannot use a memory card from his camera to preview his/her photos on tablet....
Using free software means you sometimes need to make sacrifices.

Free software, open standards, etc, are about morality. Any possible technical superiorities (or inferiorities, if it's not working well yet) are secondary.

It is absolutely disgusting that people (here, of all places!) actually advocate to subjugate users to proprietary malware. The way forward is NOT by supporting oppressors.

(Again, what I'm saying has nothing to do with whatever reason Jolla found for changing direction, monetary or whatever, this is not a defense for them but an attack on you [plural].)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Using free software means you sometimes need to make sacrifices.[/quote

Free software, open standards, etc, are about morality. Any possible technical superiorities (or inferiorities, if it's not working well yet) are secondary.

It is absolutely disgusting that people (here, of all places!) actually advocate to subjugate users to proprietary malware. The way forward is NOT by supporting oppressors.

(Again, what I'm saying has nothing to do with whatever reason Jolla found for changing direction, monetary or whatever, this is not a defense for them but an attack on you [plural].)
Sacrifice requires improvement or at least reasonable expectation of improvement to balance things out, otherwise it's useless. Now, if we think that it's worth to sacrifice major portion of possible adopters simply because you want them to be bound to your sense of "morality", I'm quite sure this venture will have a bad ending. Also, if all proprietary software is "bad" per se, then even Sailfish and Jolla are "bad." My approach is mostly pragmatic because frankly, I want Sailfish and Jolla to stay alive, - and for that mainstream adoption and support will be needed. The way forward is already difficult, throw in such "morals" and it may become impossible. Breaking all compatibility just because all proprietary is categorically "bad" or "malware" unfortunately will not convince anyone outside foss-circles.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Some TJC posts related to exFAT support or not, where anybody can express and vote :
[Official announcement] Jolla Tablet returns to Indiegogo with updated tech specs!
This pool shows the 1st answer was best voted, asking for no-exFAT support :
[Poll] File System(s) support on SD card for Jolla Tablet
[Official announcement] Supporting larger microSD cards in the Jolla Tablet - Your input is needed!

If possible, it would be interesting to have exFAT support available in Jolla Store as a paid download, so only who really want it would pay.
The poll says nothing about exFAT. Here is the poll...

https://together.jolla.com/question/...-jolla-tablet/

It's asking which open source filesystems should be supported. I took it as read that exfat was mandatory and the alternative filesystems were for the Linux fundamentalists.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Free software, open standards, etc, are about morality.
Indeed. Jolla, show some morals and stand by your words!

It is absolutely disgusting that people (here, of all places!) actually advocate
...companies trying to weasel out of their moral duties in the name of some pseudo moral arguments when it is actually all about money.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Dave, please stop banging on about your 3G and get over it. No one cares. If the goal had been reached and they tried to pull out of it like the exFAT, then you would have a reason to complain. What you are doing now is just winging. Please grow up.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Dave, you left me no choice:

...which leads to this....

and this,

oh this also,

...and my favourite

I'm flattered

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet