Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
1. Whenever I find a thread I consider worthwhile, I subscribe to it. I view them in the t.m.o. Control Panel.
2. I have subscribed to various subforums (e.g., N810, OS2008, etc.). I check these on RSS and see all the new posts. If I like one, well, see #1.
What should I do if I want to be informed about new themes and applications for my tabled? Should I dig in the 'Themes' and 'Applications' sections of the forum?

This forum was a great place where the N8x0 community was able to talk, discuss and organize itself. There is no such place any more and without it any internet-based community is doomed. I don't think the idea of speculatrix for a new forum is drastic, it is a necessity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fontus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Fontus View Post
What should I do if I want to be informed about new themes and applications for my tabled? Should I dig in the 'Themes' and 'Applications' sections of the forum?

This forum was a great place where the N8x0 community was able to talk, discuss and organize itself. There is no such place any more and without it any internet-based community is doomed. I don't think the idea of speculatrix for a new forum is drastic, it is a necessity.
Exactly, I haven't follower any sub-forums under Software since N900 came out. TMO should have separated Software sub-forums when Maemo5 was released since Diablo and Fremantle were not compatible. But I have feeling that it's already too late for a new forum. But I guess it's one possibility.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mixu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I use the program AppWatch on my N810. I use it to see Diablo updates or additions has happened. Very nice and useful.

I doubt we will ever see a useful re-org of this forum. If the request comes up again it will be buried in brainstorming until another year passes.

These days finding useful N810/Diablo posts comes down to luck.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-04-24 at 23:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
only problems i have with appwatch is

1. its qt based, and so eats up a whole lot of space for just one program

2. its ui is designed for maemo5, not earlier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
1. I know, sorry. On the bright side, it's still better than if I did it in PyQt (which I honestly contemplated )

2. I see two major points, one is the menus and the other that the pre-Fremantle vertical launcher bar gets in the way. I take patches !

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
I've been lurking about since I got my N900 about 4 months ago. One of the reasons why I "upgraded" from the N810 to N900 was that I figured that the N810 would soon become abandonware. On the other hand, I'm so disappointed with my N900 that I'm considering buying a second N810 to have as a backup to the N810 I already have. My N900 is pretty much a paperweight now, and I plan to use my N810 for the foreseeable future.

- I have an N810

- It would be nice to have a community for N800/810 users, but I also hate to see things fork (one of the curses of Linux). My gut feeling is that these boards have transformed toward users with different requirements than was the case for many N800/810 users.

- I am interested in maintenance and improvements. Porting of a few targeted apps. might be good as well.

- I can test and have done this before. I can't code; however, I often hack code to get it to do what I want. I'm pretty sure that I could port applications if I tried; however, I doubt I could do the final touches to make applications usable on an ITT. I am more than familiar with Linux, shell scripting, compiling kernels, etc.

For what's it's worth, I use the Garnet VM a lot and would be willing to pitch in there, especially if it were to become open sourced (not likely).

It's good to know that there are some happy N800/810 out there!

i have 2 n810-still use them daily -now that maps has broken down and no gps i am looking around for a 7 inch tablet having bought a garmin to replace the gps function

however fennec is going strong and feed circuit,youamp,and streamtuner get used alnost daily-what i like about the tablets is the hardware side-they are well built machines -i wonder if winmo would have been a better choice

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The main thing that happened, it seems to me, was that there were a few kinds of users to start with. I would say three types -- fans of Nokia products, people interested in Internet tablets, and developers.

Developers clearly have a major and important role on this site now, fans of Nokia products have a super-important role, and people who are fans of internet tablets are citizens without a country.

There is virtually zero discussion of internet tablets now, and if someone were to start praising some tablet, a war would immediately start in which the tablet fan would automatically be tagged as a winer, as if allegiance was owed to Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The main thing that happened, it seems to me, was that there were a few kinds of users to start with. I would say three types -- fans of Nokia products, people interested in Internet tablets, and developers.

Developers clearly have a major and important role on this site now, fans of Nokia products have a super-important role, and people who are fans of internet tablets are citizens without a country.

There is virtually zero discussion of internet tablets now, and if someone were to start praising some tablet, a war would immediately start in which the tablet fan would automatically be tagged as a winer, as if allegiance was owed to Nokia.
Yes, but ... the thing that has really made this forum so worthless for us tablet users isn't that the N900 isn't a plain tablet but that the N900 and Maemo 5 are incompatible with everything that preceded them. If Nokia had just slipped a cellphone into a Maemo 4 device, the forum would not present us old users with these types of problems.

But the situation is practically like we'd been on a Sun Solaris forum and then last November it was announced that the only new products the forum would deal with would be Windows-based.

In light of the huge discontinuity that came with the N900, we should have been given our own forum or an easy way to see only the non-N900 posts. I've wondered if it was just Reggie was too lazy to do it or if Nokia leaned on him since they have no interest in helping the old tablets continue to flourish. You can say it was just Brainstorm & Bureaucracy, but I think that's too easy. If I'm going to whine, I want something more tangible!

I've had the signature below for a long time, but I've routinely unchecked Show Your Signature since sometime last year when I ... well, gave up.

Whine.

P.S. I hadn't looked in a long time, but for chrissakes, my Solution #1 had 42 FOR votes and 1 AGAINST vote ... and still nothing was done.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey Gerald, make that 44!

Burma, I also still use Garnet daily.

Have you seen the keyboard I use for it?

It works perfectly on my end.
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6...9121300370.png

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810