Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
I can't see how step 1 could work (The bit highlighted in red above), has the wrong path. (great start to this tutorial).

The correct path to the Mydocs folder is:
cd /home/user/MyDocs

People want exact steps, not guess work in a tutorial, else there will be a hundred and one questions asking "What am I doing wrong?".

The instructions on the Nitdroid easy install on EMMC couldn't be more simple if followed correctly.
don't use sudo (or even su, for that matter), but i think su simply gives the user the root privileges without changing his / her path thus if the X term opens in /home/user, cd MyDocs will have the same result as cd /home/user/MyDocs

Originally Posted by jpala16 View Post
Hmm, that's suspicious. Has anybody installed Nitdroid in a 16GB Class 10 SD card with the Nitdroid installer with success?
I checked that the files for the installation were right because I achieved the installation in another card.
I checked that the card was not broken 'cause I was able to copy files onto it and then read them (the Nitdroid bootlog was really faster than with the other card, until it crashed, of course).
It must be something related to speed/capacity or maybe is a fake (or Kingston is really bad in this kind of products), and it writes or reads data with errors.
Yes, money down the drain galogeek. I suppose that I will use it for storing music...

well Idk what I did other than kept trying but I had kept running into the FAILURE...Bailing out issue but i realized it only bailed on certain parts of the process IE.downloading .nitdroid.manifest. so I kept re-editing the two manifest files in the root folder & .nitdroid folder until it surpassed that issue. The problem had appeared to be that the downloads ie.kernel were not matching up with the files listed in the manifest (I had c3 but in the manifest it requested c4) So after I corrected that the installation ran the manifest theennnnn it came to the downloading N12_UMAY part and the FAILURE..bailing out issue popped up again sooo i edited the manifest again to see if the link directed for the download was correct but when I inserted the link into my browser the page came back null so I added .deb at he end of the link in my browser and to the manifest and It went through after that and thedownload process passed. THENNNNNNN THE ISSUE I HAVE NOW....After the download of n12 went through the issue came up with extraction, ectractin N12_UMAY... FAILURE..bailing out. So I assumed that the file was corr. or bzip wasnt getting it to extract soooo smart experimenting me decided to manually extract it in term and it was extracting fine...for a while then gearing near the end It started saying could not find files then eventually it said the dreaded no space left on device so I ran df and my rootfs was full to 100 percent...sooo what i am assuming now is that either the partitioning is all wrong or somethings not setup correctly in the manifest and these files arent being extracted to the right place.

ANY IDEAS FELLAS? BTW I JUST WANNA THANK U ALL FOR ASSISTING ME IN MY MATTER IVE BEEN TRYING THIS FOR ABOUT A WEEK NO BUT IDK I JUST CANT FIGURE IT OUT. I am a complete noob to the linux OS and although this is frustrating...Ill admit Im not as dumb to it anymore. Ive learnt alot.

so yeah any ideas...oh yeah also I think I may have to reflash my phone given that although I was ablr to clear up somme of the files in my rootfs that was taking up all the space which brought it down to 76 per I still see alot of files there that I know is not supposed to be there..but..Im not sure..so maybe Ill have to flash..what do u think?

PS SORRY FOR THE LONG POST. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

The Following User Says Thank You to galogeek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Spain
It's kind of funny what you tell: i went through exactly the same process!
I was near to extracting the file manually, but I thought that wouldn't do anything, because I guessed the installer would continue doing other things and it wasn't that smart to realize the file was already extracted, so it wouldn't try to extract it again.
I'm also stuck in that step. I see in Conky that I've got 38.9 MB left on rootfs. Do you have more or less than that?
However I don't think that matters: I wouldn't have been able to install Nitdroid on the 1 GB card, I suppose...
*sigh*

The Following User Says Thank You to jpala16 For This Useful Post:
It's kind of funny what you tell: i went through exactly the same process!
I was near to extracting the file manually, but I thought that wouldn't do anything, because I guessed the installer would continue doing other things and it wasn't that smart to realize the file was already extracted, so it wouldn't try to extract it again.
I'm also stuck in that step. I see in Conky that I've got 38.9 MB left on rootfs. Do you have more or less than that?
However I don't think that matters: I wouldn't have been able to install Nitdroid on the 1 GB card, I suppose...
*sigh*

Are you serious?! siigghhh. I just wish someone would figure out what the problem is. and lay it out for us i laymen terms...I would be so grateful in the mean time....flashing device....Thank you for replying

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Install nitdroid is not easy. Install nitdroid is not particular easy. Install nitdroid is not particular particular easy.

Being said. It can be done.

The more people writing tutorial, easy approach, pros and cons and pitfall, the more people will find out the right way and report problem. Nit picking and discouraging remarks are uncalled for and has no place in this forum.

Again, being said, point out typo or insufficiency is also helpful too.

mrbilli, I enjoyed your tutorial and your effort. Thanks,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-07-08 at 01:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
I've been trying to see and reduce the differences between the installation on the 1GB SD card and the failured installation on the 16GB SD card. I used "diff" linux command to compare them on my desktop PC, and those folders/files that were different (or weren't there at all on the 16GB card) I copied from the first one to the second one. I tried and tried and I've only been able to see the Android logo, and then a blink and again the logo, the blink, the logo, the blink. Impossible. I don't know where is the difference stored, but I can't do it.
Maybe someone smarter or with more knowledge on this could tell what to do...
I disagree bunanson. It was VERY EASY to install it on my 1GB SD card. At first attempt. With the other one hasn't been so easy. It's better to say it has been impossible.

EDIT: Ehr... I just realized that the difference has to be in the phone's filesystem. Maybe this weekend I'll try to see anything.

Last edited by jpala16; 2011-07-07 at 18:21.

Soooo I finally gave in and just installed on the EMMC...works great! super loving it...guess ill just use the 16gb micro for something else...

quick question though...whats the purpose of editing the multiboot item file to idem_device 2 etc..if you have a micro? whats the purpose behind that?

THANKS TO EVERYONE AGAIN!

The Following User Says Thank You to galogeek For This Useful Post:
I'll have to do it too, I suppose. Did you follow something special, or just the wiki?

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by galogeek View Post
Are you serious?! siigghhh. I just wish someone would figure out what the problem is. and lay it out for us i laymen terms...I would be so grateful in the mean time....flashing device....Thank you for replying
Right, here is me being helpful. The Nitdroid Wiki or Installation page if read from top to bottom works pefectly well if one has followed the instructions and met the prerequisites.

I installed it, but I did find some of the instructions overwhelming at times so what I did was the following.

I created two posts on my blog - How to install Nitdroid N11 Vostok on N900

and

Upgrading Nitdroid N11 Vostok to N12 Umay

NOTE: I did not make those instructions. I copied the instructions I used from the wiki and put them on my post. All the instructions were there already from the wiki. All I did was simplify the process, add some visual aids (screenshots) and left out all the stuff that made no sense or was of no use. So, I am in no way, shape of form claiming that the instructions on my two posts belong to me. They belong to the Maemo Community and the good people who created the Wiki.

I also have MultiBoot with 4 menu items. One menu is running standard kernel, the other Power Kernel and then I have both N11 and N12.

Hope that helps.

Mike
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
This is supposed to be a cleaner (I ruined that) and with even more effective instructions thread than the other just to install Nitdroid into an SD card.
The pity here is that some 16 GB Class 10 cards ruin this.
Try this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72789
Maybe it could resolve your problems

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post: