Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by jdmarch View Post
thx for yr reply, bun. Pls see the first part of my post which you quoted. Or do you know some way to swap the battery without turning off the unit?
Maybe solder in a small 5V super-capacitor? There is enough spare space in the "hump". Has anyone tried this?
btw, excuse the lack of quoting but I don't see how to select text on a web page on the n800. (??)
Here, use the "quote" button, then edit it.
Generally, the only way I see is to use the menu to "select all", copy, paste then edit.

"select all", copy, paste then edit.
That's what I was afraid of. Lame.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
The only time you really need to turn it off is when changing SD cards....
What!? The N800? No, the unit even detects when you open the back cover, and stops using the card. They are hot-swappable.
Swapping batteries is the problem.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by myk View Post
What!? The N800? No, the unit even detects when you open the back cover, and stops using the card. They are hot-swappable.
Swapping batteries is the problem.
That is what the book said. In reality, the re inserted SD does not always get updated, or even worse, not accessible, and requires a reboot. Since then, I am getting scare, I always stop the tablet when swapping cards. And of course, it is NO Hot-swap or Cold-swap if you want to swap the card where you boot up from, right? I rarely boot up from flash. On a PC, a hot-swap is a hot-swap, never have problem. But the tablet hot-swap is unreliable at best.

bun

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by crankybent View Post
I contacted Nokia via email to try to see if there were any updates on the fix to the power-on problem. I was in contact with three separate people, and all three claimed that Nokia had never heard of this. I suggest that more people contact Nokia to increase their awareness of it.
It's quite strange. It shows that nokia has an awful customer care (they simply don't care), yet the developers do know about the issue. That's the nice part in that it's an open development model: we can give feedback through the bug tracker at maemo.org and get in touch with them without fighting yourself through the 'customer care' front line. Which, by the way seems to be impossible. Noone ever managed to get an answer from customer care in what they tell you that it's a known problem, while the fix is already being tested by the developers. And I mean real nokia developers with e-mail addresses from the nokia.com domain.

BTW I returned my N800 for a refund rather than take it on faith that the problem is fixable in software.
It is They say, at least. Here is the previous to last comment from the bugtracker on this issue:
> I am sorry, I cm not tell you the exact time of the fix come out. It is ready
> and management is testing it. I will check and comment here. Sorry agaian

This is a serious customer relationship problem at Nokia. The real pain isn't that the bug went unnoticed but the fact that they can't really help their users. I wouldn't say that they're selling test units to us. These are complicated systems and those are virtually never bug free. This one seems to be a rather nasty one as it only happens on some devices in some environments. (The very thing that cooling the device makes the bug go away shows how nasty and unlikely it is.)

And again, the link to the issue in the bug tracker (where you can get first hand information): https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2673

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Fixed with upgrade 2.2007.51-3, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16876,
dl your file here before it disappear, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=144658.

and say thanks to anidal whos kindness made it happen.

bun

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Hungary
You can (and should!) get it from tablets-dev.nokia.com.
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N...ED_MR0_ARM.bin
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N...ED_MR0_ARM.bin

Don't hurry, it won't disappear

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Is there any chance that this bugfix will be integrated into OS2007HE for the 770, so all the 770 owners who has the power on/off problem (like me) can participate from this bugfix, too?

(Yes, I mean OS2007HE and not OS2008SE, since the last one is far beyond stable.)

Last edited by sommerfee; 2008-02-20 at 09:02.

Help! I purchased a N810. When I went to install Skype...I was told to update. I checked the update feature on the unit. It said it was updated. I then checked the internet. I was instructed to flash the hard drive with the newest software...I did, successfully installed skype...but for some reason wanted to reflash the unit. I did that and now the unit does not power on. When I plug in the power to charge the little blue corner light doesn't come on. Help!

Sorry, I only read the first 6 pages, but here is my advice:

I have an N810, the board has a "2006" label printed on it, it has 2.2007.50-2 firmware. None of the "G-spot" and charger/battery connect/disconnect tips worked for me. Even letting the IT down for a while. Here's my method, which worked for me (only this time, once; I can tell you, I'll never switch this thing off again):

Put the tablet into the fridge for 15 minutes. At 0 - -5 Celsius I could turn it on.

Next time I'll sacrifice a chicken at full moon or something, I think that will help.

(PS: Damn Nokia, how could it let these devices out of factory??)

The Following User Says Thank You to gklka For This Useful Post: