Notices

No.

Turn by Turn =/= Voice Navigation.

For example, Ovi Maps on the N900 does turn by turn directions but it does not do voice navigation (essentially reading them out loud at the appropriate points). So it's best to assume that when people say turn by turn they don't mean voice navigation. Unless it's something like turn by turn with voice directions, guidance, whatever.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I'm dumb, does turn by turn navigation mean voice navigation?
Two separate things.

Some feedback :

1) While i make a log, i don t have complete trace drawed on map.

2) While i make a log, when i pause time not stop.

Do you gonna move log soon in docs folder ?

Edit :

3) From where i can import a compatible log in Modrana ?
Wanted make a trace for one ramble in http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ , but the format is not campatible.

Need prepare my ramble before on internet map and import it in modrana and follow this trace while i ramble.

Thanx for your work.

Last edited by Garfield007; 2010-08-20 at 21:51.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I'm dumb, does turn by turn navigation mean voice navigation?
As has already been said, Turn-by-turn navigation and voice navigation are two separate things.
But voice navigation in its simplest form can be implemented by basically reading the direction messages by espeak, so I may be able to do both at once.

Originally Posted by Garfield007 View Post
Some feedback :
1) While i make a log, i don t have complete trace drawed on map.
What logging frequency are you using ? I have also noticed some problems with trace drawing when the logging frequency is longer that the default once per second one.

2) While i make a log, when i pause time not stop.
Thanks for noticing, I'll fix that.
Do you gonna move log soon in docs folder ?
I'll try to do this in the next release.

3) From where i can import a compatible log in Modrana ?
Wanted make a trace for one ramble in http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ , but the format is not campatible.

Need prepare my ramble before on internet map and import it in modrana and follow this trace while i ramble.
You can try www.wikiloc.com, I used a few track from this site for testing, so they should work. Basically, all well formated and valid GPX tracklogs should work (unless I made a mistake in the parsing code ).

Last edited by MartinK; 2010-08-21 at 11:26. Reason: fix typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
OK, it took a bit longer than expected, but version 0.14-1 is here with turn-by-turn navigation and espeek voice directions !

How to use it ?
  • get a route
  • go to route -> current route -> tools (or through a button on the map screen for point2point routing)
  • click the "start navigation" button
  • select the starting point (first/closest)
  • follow the directions and watch for cliffs, cars, bears, missing bridges, etc.

How does it work ?
The direction messages are displayed on the screen and also spoken by espeak.

For each point, you get two voice messages, for example:
  • "in 250 meters, turn right to XY street" - some distance before the point
  • "turn right to XY street" - after reaching the point

To "reach" a point, you have to get to certain distance from it (by default 30 meters, but this distance can be configured in options->navigation). After "reaching" a point, the navigation switches to the next point, until the last point is "reached".

The point corresponding to the current message is indicated by a red circle + current distance is shown.

So thats it, its quite simple but seems to work OK.

If you have any idea how to improve this, let me know.

Last edited by MartinK; 2010-08-25 at 12:12.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
damm another reason I will not be able to convince my wife to let me get meego once it is released. curses martinK...

this should be a lifesaver when driving.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand

Late to the party but thanks for the great app... this is the most usefulmap app for Maemo I've come across so far!

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but is it possible to add user-specified search string to Google local search, instead of pre-defined cateories?

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Hi!
What type of maps is this using?
Where can I get them?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
damm another reason I will not be able to convince my wife to let me get meego once it is released. curses martinK...

this should be a lifesaver when driving.
It will be available for MeeGo, will it not, MartinK?

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps