Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Kolos, a 9 for useful info, but ultimately a frowning 3 for nasty attitude. You couldn't just have presented the info and set it in front of the user so that they can just learn it? Why the attitude?

As said many times before, man I miss the old ITT days.
Here in maemo.org forum there are a lot of people that they are wiling to help, but if somebody don't ask or look for answers, then answers for sure will not fall to them on their own from the sky.

Originally Posted by cmsjkung View Post
Flash Player
When you see the flash player demo video on N900, you may think it should be the first device to get it but not finally.
Yes, we are all pissed off about not having Flash 10.1, but who can tell that we will not get it eventually?! Nokia didn't make any official statement about getting or not getting it. Even if Nokia will not provide it, I have big faith in this community. If Motorola Droid (same CPU and GPU) is going to get Android Froyo, I believe that some people from here will know how to bring Flash 10.1 to N900.

For Subtitle Support
Subtitle support application does not work for MOV file as you can not select different subtitle and audio files...
Big majority of the people all over the globe are watching AVI (divx/xvid) videos on their PCs and TVs (divx/DVD players), and also this is possible on N900. So, majority N900 users are satisfied that can use torrent client on N900 to download AVI videos, then to find proper subtitles and play videos on N900 in the same way they are doing that on their PCs.
Also we can download AVI videos to PC with N900 as remote control (VNC viewer) and after video is downloaded to the PC, we can stream it or transfer it to N900 over home wi-fi (over the air) if we have enabled media sharing on our PCs. My iPhone friends are so jealous about that.

Also N900 is going to get VLC Player.

Camera
I can found may mobile phone got better picture quality than N900. Don't want to say the mobile phone names....
I have N95 and I can say that quality of N900 camera is similar. Also for N900 we have some additional tools like lfocus, BlessN900 and lens cover reminder.

Phone Function
You will found lack of search/short cut alias function in contact, even the first release Meego got search/short cut alias function in contact.
To search contacts you just need to be on phone's desktop (don't need to open phonebook) and start typing on hardware keyboard the first letters of your friend's name and you will find him/her. This is solution for landscape mode. For portrait mode (closed keyboard slide) you can open icon "Phone" where is a list of recent call. Than choose "Select contact" and you will get on the right side of contact list a letter groups "0-9", "ABC", "DEF" etc. So, let say, if you press on "ABC" once, you will get contacts that start on letter A, if you press second time on "ABC" you will get contacts that start on letter B etc.
Other solutions are to install MyContacts or/and Horizontal-Call.

Last edited by kolos; 2010-07-03 at 10:55.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kolos View Post
Here in maemo.org forum there are a lot of people that they are wiling to help, but if somebody don't ask or look for answers, then answers for sure will not fall to them on their own from the sky.

Yes, we are all pissed off about not having Flash 10.1, but who can tell that we will not get it eventually?! Nokia didn't make any official statement about getting or not getting it. Even if Nokia will not provide it, I have big faith in this community. If Motorola Droid (same CPU and GPU) is going to get Android Froyo, I believe that some people from here will know how to bring Flash 10.1 to N900.

Big majority of the people all over the globe are watching AVI (divx/xvid) videos on their PCs and TVs (divx/DVD players), and also this is possible on N900. So, majority N900 users are satisfied that can use torrent client on N900 to download AVI videos, then to find proper subtitles and play videos on N900 in the same way they are doing that on their PCs.
Also we can download AVI videos to PC with N900 as remote control (VNC viewer) and after video is downloaded to the PC, we can stream it or transfer it to N900 over home wi-fi (over the air) if we have enabled media sharing on our PCs. My iPhone friends are so jealous about that.

Also N900 is going to get VLC Player.

I have N95 and I can say that quality of N900 camera is similar. Also for N900 we have some additional tools like lfocus, BlessN900 and lens cover reminder.

To search contacts you just need to be on phone's desktop (don't need to open phonebook) and start typing on hardware keyboard the first letters of your friend's name and you will find him/her. This is solution for landscape mode. For portrait mode (closed keyboard slide) you can open icon "Phone" where is a list of recent call. Than choose "Select contact" and you will get on the right side of contact list a letter groups "0-9", "ABC", "DEF" etc. So, let say, if you press on "ABC" once, you will get contacts that start on letter A, if you press second time on "ABC" you will get contacts that start on letter B etc.
Other solutions are to install MyContacts or/and Horizontal-Call.
Thank you very much.... your advice is very useful.....

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by kolos View Post
That is an irrelevant excuse to the point I'd made. The vitriol was unnecessary.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
i got my iphone4 3 weeks back haven't touched my n900 since than and only use it for mp3 music in toilet. The number of apps on iphone is amazing, the navigation, os, everything is so smooth and silky. Plan on trading n900 out even though i have nitrdroid installed on it and o/cd it to 1Ghz.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Bristol UK
Originally Posted by sak500 View Post
i got my iphone4 3 weeks back haven't touched my n900 since than and only use it for mp3 music in toilet. The number of apps on iphone is amazing, the navigation, os, everything is so smooth and silky. Plan on trading n900 out even though i have nitrdroid installed on it and o/cd it to 1Ghz.
I think you should trade in your N900 mate.

My Girlfriend has an iPhone4 and thinks its absolutely awesome. She couldn't care less what is "under the hood", she just wants something that is easy to use and nice to look at. And i know countless others who are just the same.

Now admittedly i have only had my N900 for 2 months. It doesn't have the huge commercial app store, and/or support from nokia. But i have totally and utterly fallen in love with it.

I have been struggling to explain exactly why i do, but i do. I know system specs are thrown back and forth between phone lovers debating which is better. But i feel the real deciding factor is who you are. And it fits who i am.
If you are the kind of person who wants to know how and why something works. You're an N900'er
If you get as much satisfaction from finally figuring out a rogue line of code that has been crashing your app, as you do from actually using that app once complete. You're an N900'er.
If even though you hate the fact that official Nokia support is limited, it makes you feel like your device is viewed (despite its specs) as a sort of underdog, and you wanna make it kick *** just because it can. You're an N900'er.

If you don't get these sort of feelings from the N900 then the sooner you get rid of it, the sooner it can be reurbished and bought by someone who IS going to fall in love with it.

Best Regards

Stefan

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Thargor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
@stefan,

It's not that I haven't given it a chance. Bought it back in Jan 2010. Loved it till sept when I bought iP4. I even made my boss buy an N900 back in April. But lets be honest the only thing keeping n900 alive has been teh community. I used to frequent this site to get any kind of info about new apps / games etc. Ovi store was a joke and dont ask about the MAPS. Pathetic atempt by nokia to test their loyal fans with an experimental phone. On the other hand, i'm overwhelmed with what's available for idevices. I managed to JB it after upgrading to 4.1. Everything is smooth from recording HD videos to using maps.

I will never buy a nokia phone, (had bought N96, N80, N70, 33xx and few more dont remember) again. My GF was interestd in Android after seeing nitrdroid on my N900 but after iP4, she wants that and she will get it later this year.

For the time being i'm using the 900 as an mp3 player and will wait if meego will be ported for it. If i find it useful i will keep it otherwise trade it with another iP4.

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
Why bother telling us all of this, no one cares, it's your device - sell it if you like. If you want to share an experience, that's okay, but know that lots of people here thinks the other way, it's maemo.org after all. So don't get insulted if someone is arrogant, posts like yours are common in past few months, lots of you complaining guys really have no idea why did you bought n900 at the first place. So if you still have doubts, sell it until you can regain even 50% of money invested in it, and go for something else...

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Hi! since we are sharing... I am thinking of redecorating my living room any ideas?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by zifis View Post
Hi! since we are sharing... I am thinking of redecorating my living room any ideas?
Paint it black...

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Bristol UK
Originally Posted by sak500 View Post
I used to frequent this site to get any kind of info about new apps / games etc. Ovi store was a joke and dont ask about the MAPS. Pathetic atempt by nokia to test their loyal fans with an experimental phone. On the other hand, i'm overwhelmed with what's available for idevices. I managed to JB it after upgrading to 4.1. Everything is smooth from recording HD videos to using maps.
Hi Sak

This is precisely the point i was trying to make. The N900 is not for you.
From your reply i can see your main needs/wants are Apps, Games, Store, Maps etc.. And for that even the most diehard N900 fanboy would tell you IPhone and Android win. I was trying to help speed up the process so that someone who is gonna love having it can get a hold of it.

Have you seen the episode of friends where Phoebe gets told about the Xmas tree's wish (or goal or something)? She objects to trees being cut down i.e "killed" for xmas and gets told its their one wish in life to be a xmas tree.
Thats kind of how i see the N900. A little computer with real power, whose wish is to be used, tinkered with, hacked, modded and pushed to the extreme. With you it will never happen and i feel sad for the little guy.

The one thing i will say that strikes me as a little ironic with your posts.
Iphone = Ipod that makes calls.
Ipod = fancy Mp3 player (with added bells and whistles)
N900 = Linux Computer with phone bits added
Linux Computer = More computery type wizardry than you can shake a stick at.
Yet you use your Iphone as primary device and the N900 as an Mp3 player.

Anyway good luck with whatevver you do mate.

Stefan

Last edited by Thargor; 2010-10-14 at 11:40. Reason: Poor Grammar

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thargor For This Useful Post:

Tags
delete me, infants and, their toys, worstthreadever