Notices

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
I'm using Tero Hietanen's version (0.6.2-8zs.chinook) on the latest Diablo update (N800) and I can confirm that after switching away via the home button, one cannot return to it and eventually the system reports the launcher as unresponsive. Force quitting the launcher does not quit the game itself (the game, music and all, is still running in the background), but it can be killed from the command-line. I recall someone above mentioning one version where app-switching did work: what changed?

Otherwise, the game works great. I have not tested the SuperMelee net-battle yet, but may this weekend...

Thanks for the porting work!

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
UQM is now in the extras-devel repository. I originally missed the more recent maemoization of it discussed in this thread (by Tero Hietanen), which seems to have been fairly nice. There was an older project that was out of date.

In any case, i took the latest version (0.6.6) of UQM from the upstream subversion repository and packaged it for Maemo 5. I haven't yet applied any of Tero's optimizations to the SDL canvas, but that can be done if there is demand and/or need.

What needs to happen now is for people with N900s to install the package, see if it works, and fiddle around with the control settings so that i can provide a useful default. Edit: (hopefully) useful default controls now included in altstart. Feel free to suggest alternatives.

I also need someone to see if the sound actually works on the N900. I have it disabled by default because it was crashing on the SDK, but there's no obvious reason for it to not work. If a brave soul could start it like this:
cd /opt/games/
./uqm --contentdir=/opt/share/games/uqm
from a shell, and let me know if it works, i would be most grateful.
Edit: Sound works.

This is my first attempt at debianizing an app, let alone maemoizing one, so be gentle.

Edit: I released a small package called uqm-altstart to be installed as well. This will start up uqm fullscreen and with audio enabled, allowing other things that have not already been tested to come to the forefront. It can be removed without affecting uqm itself. See the later post about it. The latest version provides better default keymaps. I recommend installing it before playing.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-11-02 at 20:31.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Installed - ok
Game started - ok
Menu - can't move up or down, new game started with enter
Intro movie/sequence with sound - ok

Issues: not full screen, nor centered.
Once game starts, not all of the screen is visible (down right, it say "GAME" but only half of the letters are visible). I guess if the title/status bar of maemo can be hidden all is visible?

Seems to be a fine start...touchscreen support would be a must (there is some...I was able to move to another system somehow and talk with some encounter...).

Lost a fight, no idea how to play this really

Seems to run a good speed, sound worked flawlessly. Good job!

//K

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kee View Post
Installed - ok
Game started - ok
Menu - can't move up or down, new game started with enter
Intro movie/sequence with sound - ok

Issues: not full screen, nor centered.
Once game starts, not all of the screen is visible (down right, it say "GAME" but only half of the letters are visible). I guess if the title/status bar of maemo can be hidden all is visible?

Seems to be a fine start...touchscreen support would be a must (there is some...I was able to move to another system somehow and talk with some encounter...).

Lost a fight, no idea how to play this really

Seems to run a good speed, sound worked flawlessly. Good job!

//K
Thanks so much for trying it and reporting!

Fullscreen: It fits nicely when set to fullscreen. It was doing that on its own in the SDK before i uploaded it. When i reinstalled the broken SDK it went back to the way you see it, so needless to say --fullscreen is already added for next release.

Audio: So you ran it from the shell with sound enabled and it works? That's great news! Did you get sound effects in the game in addition to the intro slideshow music? I ask because i can see a possible scenario where the music would work fine and the sound effects would fail.

Controls: The original game used only keyboard (generally arrow keys, Ctrl, shift, spacebar. etc to turn, accelerate, fire, etc.), so adding touch will have to be hacked on as pseudo-keypress inputs.

There's a lot of room for improvement on that front, but i want all the actions to be possible on the default setup for a start. I'm not sure if the Ctrl, Shift, Esc are mapped to anything on the N900 keyboard...

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Rather than have everyone upload the full 10MB package again for a very minor update, i created a package called uqm-altstart that should be showing up on the repository soon. It provides a separate icon on the desktop. It will start UQM in fullscreen mode and with sound enabled. It can be added or removed without affecting UQM.

I received some more useful feedback in an email and will update the uqm-altstart package to change the default keymaps as soon as i get a bit more information.

The plan is to wait until it seems that everything is working and presentable enough for mainstream users, and then release an update to uqm that combines all the fixes, as well as content packs with the (currently missing) 3DO voiceover and music data.

More comments on useful key mappings (using the options in the first menu) and overall experience would be appreciated. Comments on the desirability of putting in some hacks to use screen taps as imitation keypresses, and whether performance is "good enough" in melee mode would also be nice.

Without any generation of IT to test this on, i really have no idea what the user experience is like.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I have couple of notes of the package itself.

Please change the the installation directory to /opt/uqm or use normal paths and maemo-optify tool.

Wouldn't it be usefull to follow (and copy&alter) debian uqm packaging? http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...le&section=all

Put data files to separate uqm-content package and binary and configs to uqm package. Then you can update uqm package separately and you don't need any temporary packages (which usually are very hard to get rid of).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
I have couple of notes of the package itself.

Please change the the installation directory to /opt/uqm or use normal paths and maemo-optify tool.

Wouldn't it be usefull to follow (and copy&alter) debian uqm packaging? http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...le&section=all

Put data files to separate uqm-content package and binary and configs to uqm package. Then you can update uqm package separately and you don't need any temporary packages (which usually are very hard to get rid of).
These are all good points. I had trouble finding something to indicate where specifically in /opt big things should go, just that they should go there. I treated it like a another /usr tree (games and shared), and then put the script under /usr/games. It seems after reading the opt readme that the maemo way would be to put everything under a single directory with the name of the package in /opt. That i can do; it's easier than what i do now.

I wanted to put the basic (required) content in the same package as the code for two reasons. First, this is a port of a largely finished project. The debian package is based on the last official release from two years ago (0.6.2). In starting with a much more recent version (0.6.6), i don't expect to be doing updates after it works right. Second, i wanted to minimize the packages the user would have to install and also show up front how much space it would take. I forget that It shows the installed size when clicking on it, so that last bit isn't much of a reason in retrospect.

The patch-type package is already in the repository, and i'll set uqm to replace it when i release the finished version, along with the optional content packages. Hopefully that will not be too problematic.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
The debian package is based on the last official release from two years ago (0.6.2). In starting with a much more recent version (0.6.6), i don't expect to be doing updates after it works right.
I meant the packaging structure and change the content to newer one. But it's done so it's fine, it was more like a general comment that it's usually much easier and faster to start from there

The patch-type package is already in the repository, and i'll set uqm to replace it when i release the finished version, along with the optional content packages. Hopefully that will not be too problematic.
Temporary package are always problematic in the long term.

If possible don't put optional packages, but just one user visible package which installs everything. Unless of course the optional packages change the whole game to another one.

Hmm. It seems like there's no way to remove packages once in extras-devel. I hadn't really counted on that. Anyway, the temp package was probably a bad idea as you say, but only because it clutters up the repository. It can be installed and removed without affecting the main package (uqm), and will be automatically replaced at the next main release if at all possible. (Apt could do it, but i know app installer has narrower tolerances.)

The reason for optional content packages is that they are 130 MB addition to a 10 MB game, and represent the 3DO content vs. included PC content. Perhaps people don't care as much about the bandwidth and space issue for the N900 as i am projecting on them.

What's the thought on this, people? Should install pull in all 140 MB of content, or should there be an optional add-on package?

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-10-28 at 14:46.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
IMO Add-on package, for many reasons - tinkering does not require to regenerate the whole pack, and binary data can be in an _all.deb so both X86 and ARMEL targets can make use of it without redundant packages.