Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
I've been watching and drooling over the N9 like everybody else. I've been thinking of taking the dive and dropping that giant wad of money on it, but I'm trying to find AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE before making the purchase. The truth is, I love my N900 still, but I really can't let the N9 slip by me and plus, I'm trying to show Nokia there are customers out there who want this phone. I just want to make sure I make a sound purchase because this phone is far too expensive to disappoint me. Plus, there's little to no US based electronic sellers for this phone if I wanted to go try it out it in person(will Nokia even accept a warranty claim from the US?), so I'll basically be bonded to this thing if I decide to go with it. I'm just wondering if a lot of the core things that made the N900 so awesome are still there like:
  • Petrovich and that whole sharing account tie-in
  • Pidgin Integration(for Facebook Chat, Skype, Google Talk, and AIM)
  • Joikuspot would be cool
  • Hermes(or an equivalent for pulling all your Facebook contacts into your phonebook with pictures of that contact)
  • A File Explorer
  • PDF Reader
  • And is the Conversations "paradigm" still there? Does it look at all your IMs and texts as the same thing?

I would imagine a lot of my other big things are covered with apps(like MussOrgsky, Pyradio, gPodder, cuteTube, FeedingIt, Evernote, DialCentral, and some others I'm probably forgetting). Now I just have to HOPE that those apps have been ported or there's an equivalent app that will do the job. Is there RAR, 7Z, and ZIP support? Those are real useful too.

I guess the easiest way to sum this up would be to ask: "Are there any previous N900 lovers that have converted to the N9? If so, what's the experience been like? What's missing and what's been greatly improved?"

Thanks in advance for any info!

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Arsonist For This Useful Post:
Pretty much everything is there except gtk (yet) and hildon based programs. This unfortunately rules out pidgin currently. Other things I miss from N900 are Cisco VPN support, Conboy, Office Communicator and of course hw keyboard. N900 is a much better all around device currently.

IMHO only reasons moving to N9 are speed, style and swipe ux. I haven't given up on N900 as my work phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
I think equivalent of Hermes is not there, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Joikuspot is integrated. Skype is integrated in a way it was in N900 and there are some other protocols too. Pdf-reader works. Filebox handles zips but 7z and rar might be lacking currently.

To be honest, the N9 is a much, much smoother and better phone to own. Don't pass on it.

I've owned the N900 for two years and the N9 doesn't come close to being as customizable or flexible as the N900, but the trade off is worth it merely for the speed, the beautiful interface, the gorgeous OLED screen, the improved ergonomics and the overall satisfaction of owning the last true Nokia.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ujwalsoni For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
I think equivalent of Hermes is not there, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Joikuspot is integrated. Skype is integrated in a way it was in N900 and there are some other protocols too. Pdf-reader works. Filebox handles zips but 7z and rar might be lacking currently.
Regarding Hermes: pulling all your Facebook contacts into your phonebook,including user pictures, is done automatically when you enter your FB credentials in the phone's Account settings. No need for a third party tool in the N9. Even automatic contact merging is done as long the people on facebook have the same name as those already in your contacts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by The Arsonist View Post
I guess the easiest way to sum this up would be to ask: "Are there any previous N900 lovers that have converted to the N9? If so, what's the experience been like? What's missing and what's been greatly improved?"
Improved: gesture control. I find it difficult meanwhile *not* to swipe on other touch screen devices. Especially swipe down to close is very nice and natural.
Navigation is nice if you own a car. I don't.

Things that are worse in comparison:
No copy-paste, except for a few text input fields. This is very annoying especially in the browser, where text input is fundamentally broken.
No cursor keys on the onscreen keyboard. The replacement (a lense) doesn't work in all applications... again, the browser is the most important application in which you cannot control the cursor position at all.
The display is the worst I've ever seen on a mobile phone, much worse than the wonderful display you enjoy on the N900. Color bleeding, shadows and stripes, purple tint, whatever... there's a whole thread about it.
Also lacking from the browser is the 'mouse over' mode you have in the N900, flash support of course, any way to edit bookmarks (actually, there's no such thing as bookmarks)...
There's no Jabber integration in the IM system.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Petrovich and that whole sharing account tie-in
Its very easy to share **** on the N9.

Pidgin Integration(for Facebook Chat, Skype, Google Talk, and AIM)
Allready in there from the get-go. At least FBChat, Skype and GT, dont use AIM so not sure, but I assume its there. No msn tho.

Joikuspot would be cool
Also preloaded.

Hermes(or an equivalent for pulling all your Facebook contacts into your phonebook with pictures of that contact)
Preloaded.

A File Explorer
Downloadable.

PDF Reader
Preloaded.

And is the Conversations "paradigm" still there? Does it look at all your IMs and texts as the same thing?
Actually opens a new conversation window for FBChat, doesnt seam it into your SMS thread. But chat works like SMSes with regards to notifications, where the convo is placed, how you start it up, etc.

No copy-paste, except for a few text input fields. This is very annoying especially in the browser, where text input is fundamentally broken.
OS-wide copy/paste is either in 1.1 or 1.2, most likely 1.2 with improvements in 1.1. Browser text input thing Im not sure of.

No cursor keys on the onscreen keyboard. The replacement (a lense) doesn't work in all applications... again, the browser is the most important application in which you cannot control the cursor position at all.
Cursor keys are coming with the Swype keyboard in PR 1.1 I seem to recall? And yes, the browser textbox thing is still weird.

The display is the worst I've ever seen on a mobile phone, much worse than the wonderful display you enjoy on the N900. Color bleeding, shadows and stripes, purple tint, whatever... there's a whole thread about it.
Personally Ive only seen 1 display better than my N9s; the SGS2. And the N9 is better in direct sunlight.

Also lacking from the browser is the 'mouse over' mode you have in the N900, flash support of course, any way to edit bookmarks (actually, there's no such thing as bookmarks)...
Yeah, I sometimes miss the cursor. Hope they improve the browser features shortly. Bookmarks... meh theres the "create a shortcut to the URL" system which works okay, and the "most used websites" homescreen in the browser. I dont really miss bookmarks that much with these two systems in place.

Last edited by slai; 2011-11-07 at 08:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
There's no Jabber integration in the IM system.
Argh! Really?!?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Auto correct also doesnt work in all apps. I use firefox as my main browser (disappointed as microB was far above any 3rd party replacements) and I usually make mistakes on the vkb.