Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Wrong. i didn't purchase my N800 because i didn't need a phone. I got it because it would be a nice addition to my phone. But I would rather have a tablet with phone cabalibilties than not. The N900 is almost right, but the screen is too small.
Well exactly devices like this are meant to compliment basic cellphones that usually just send text messages. A common combination I see is LG Env Touch and iPod Touch or Archos 5 and Symbian device.

The N9 looks to be a perfect device, both phone and "tablet" in one; 4 inch screen, super camera, HDMI, real keyboard. Anything bigger than the N9 and I would be much better of with a netbook, which I already have.
4 inches is too small for my taste but that is personal preference 4.3 inches can fit in a pocket and browse the web and view videos very well. I can understand why would one want a physical keyboard but again that is personal preference. Um the Archos is 4.3inches and a netbook is 9-10inches how are they similar, explain?

A suggestion for everybody. Before you do something stupid, like buying an Android Tablet that is useless without a phone, or something even more stupid like an iWhatever. Sit down and think for a minute. Everything you need is in a device called the Nokia N9. The more I think about the N9, the more perfect it becomes Seriously!
No one said that it was useless people just said some apps can't run but most can run because of lack of some cellphone hardware the only thing your really missing is apps that require cellular connectivity or GPS. We don't even know if the Nokia n9 is real or if it even runs MeeGo or if it is even called the n9 there is even speculation that it is actually called the Nokia E7
Or at least get a Samsung Wave. Bada is cool
I can't understand the hate towards Android, but I can understand the hate towards Bada. Locked down, only really usable in Europe, proprietary, only runs on Samsung hardware, lacks basic applications, has stability issues, and only runs apps approved by Samsung. I do like the Samsung wave as a piece of hardware but I would probably end up getting the Galaxy S instead.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-09-12 at 03:40.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I was very happy without a hardware keyboard on my N800. People talked about having "full access" to their screens -- it never seemed like that much of a problem to me -- when I wanted full access I just closed the virtual keyboard.

But the N900 virtual keyboard just seems useless to me -- I hate it. I would LOVE a virtual keyboard that seems to be right for me. The Opera keyboard, for example, seems nice.
I've yet to meet a virtual keyboard that works proficently (as in I don't spend so much time fixing my typos). And I've tried most of them (n800, N900 (and Opera's), Android (Droid), iPhone (3G)). Ironically the virtual keyboard that had the least errors when I used it was the n800's stylus keyboard (go figure).

Though I'm eager to see if I can use Swype whenever I get an Android phone (or install NITDROID on the N900).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Swype is part of Touchwiz, if I'm not mistaken. Samsung-exclusive.

Regarding virtual keyboards, the best I've ever seen (honestly) is the iPhone's. Apparently the Droid X has a FANTASTIC vk, but I personally haven't tried it.

On another post I was mentioning the feeling of being a bit "left out" being a Maemo user, albeit a proud and happy one, from time to time.

I saw this discussion on virtual keyboards and remembered this.

It starts interesting, gets much more interesting in the end. Coming to Maemo/Meego?

Probably not a chance.

Also, someone mentioned here that the N9 screen is going to be resistive. Is that confirmed? I actually thought it was capacitive.

Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
Swype is part of Touchwiz, if I'm not mistaken. Samsung-exclusive.

Regarding virtual keyboards, the best I've ever seen (honestly) is the iPhone's. Apparently the Droid X has a FANTASTIC vk, but I personally haven't tried it.

On another post I was mentioning the feeling of being a bit "left out" being a Maemo user, albeit a proud and happy one, from time to time.

I saw this discussion on virtual keyboards and remembered this.

It starts interesting, gets much more interesting in the end. Coming to Maemo/Meego?

Probably not a chance.

Also, someone mentioned here that the N9 screen is going to be resistive. Is that confirmed? I actually thought it was capacitive.
Actually Swype is a separate company they license the product to oems and betas are available for Android. The instructions for getting are Here. Also Swype isn't Samsung exclusive it just used by them a lot.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I can't understand the hate towards Android
Android catches crap because it reinforces the notion that mobile devices like phones are somehow special, and require software that is completely unlike (and not compatible) with what you have on a standard PC.

We know this to be false, and seeing it continue only makes for wasted effort and a constant back and force in work to go from one platform to another. No other OS runs Android software but Android, not even other Java VMs. Even the *nix back-end is subtly incompatible, using a custom libc.

Maemo, and to a much greater extent Meego, (could) let us avoid this.

Bada
Will either fail completely, or be Samsung's replacement for Symbian.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Android catches crap because it reinforces the notion that mobile devices like phones are somehow special, and require software that is completely unlike (and not compatible) with what you have on a standard PC.

We know this to be false, and seeing it continue only makes for wasted effort and a constant back and force in work to go from one platform to another. No other OS runs Android software but Android, not even other Java VMs. Even the *nix back-end is subtly incompatible, using a custom libc.

Maemo, and to a much greater extent Meego, (could) let us avoid this.

Will either fail completely, or be Samsung's replacement for Symbian.
Err until Maemo runs on non Nokia devices with full functionality, it is just as closed as Android. I have never run desktop applications on Symbian, Windows Mobile, or Blackberry so why should Android be any different? Google used Java because it is standard for mobile devices. If Maemo so desktop like why isn't there Flash 10.1?

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Err until Maemo runs on non Nokia devices with full functionality, it is just as closed as Android.
Err, no. Disregarding Maemo, neither MeeGo nor Android are closed in any way. The only closed bits are stuff controlled by hardware vendors that inhibit end-users from running things on the platform.

I have never run desktop applications on Symbian, Windows Mobile, or Blackberry so why should Android be any different? Google used Java because it is standard for mobile devices.
Except they went and used a non-standard Java. Also, there is no sense in perpetuating the myth that these devices are somehow "special" and require toolkits that don't have implementations easily used on the desktop.

If Maemo so desktop like why isn't there Flash 10.1?
Because Adobe believes that mobile devices like these are "special" and they won't release a build for a device without demanding the vendor cough up money. This is the problem with closed source software like Flash, eventually one company sets the "standard" for what it means to be able to use the web.

It nows has Android market and Google Apps. Video from Charbax here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=924ktL7aYR4.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
knowing charbax, thats a non-approved install (hacked i guess i another word for it).

Last edited by tso; 2010-10-09 at 07:07.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
knowing charbax, thats a non-approved install (hacked i guess i another word for it).
Of course its hacked, that is how the Android market got on the previous Archos 5it. The file is called gapps4archos.apk you can download and read about it here http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopi...=38186&start=0.