Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
No, it doesn't need pulley. It's the left hand box on the bottom of the screen. However, more pressing issue would be that you would likely have to reload the page on previous tab when coming back. it should get you back to right place on the page though.

Don't know about pocket client.

Don't use twitter by myself... but from that description, it might be a good idea to tweak the client so that some functions are always available (like they are in browser). Not everything has to be in the pulley.

Another option would be to invent another gesture to access pulley from every position. Perhaps something like tap and pull? Such rationale is already in use on some apps, like gallery.
I'm not saying that UI is that bad. And i think pulley menu can be useful and nice, but only in certain cases. As well as SailfishOS UI is good for one hand. I think there is no OS that has good one hand UI at all, except N9, but again it was only one device with small screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
I'm not saying that UI is that bad. And i think pulley menu can be useful and nice, but only in certain cases. As well as SailfishOS UI is good for one hand. I think there is no OS that has good one hand UI at all, except N9, but again it was only one device with small screen.
I agree. If N9 was bigger, mostly the same critique would apply. Personally I consider Sailfish to be one of the best takes on big screens and it could be even better with few tweaks. They must however be careful with them, so that UX doesn't get too complicated.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Pulley menus work well in their tablet, which has a considerably larger screen. I'd say it actually battles a few of the issues (see the "ouch" regions in phones listed earlier) and enables the user to just pull down, select and do so with one hand even on a tablet.

I'd say that the location of some controls in Sailfish though, might need work since they're upper right and left and on a larger screen, that would probably require two hands. The UX behind Sailfish can be mostly driven by one hand - keyboard, some confirmation dialogs (most are swipe left to go back starting in edge). This would be the workflow I've seen tweaked since 1.19 or so and coming together nicely in 2.x.

The N9 is an unfair comparison - it's screen was incredibly small compared to the Turing or modern iPhone screens. There would be UX gaps and issues if scaled up on larger screens, especially in some of the settings screens, whatnot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That is what worries me. How can they chanve specs like that, AFTER people have preordered? I expect much more cases like yours and a bad PR for Turing and, ultimately, for Jolla.
'There's no such thing as bad publicity,' as the old quote sometimes attributed to PT Barnum goes.

I've been feeling cynical about tabletgate anyway, so humor me as I toss out yet another cynical thought: I hadn't heard of Turingphone until this switch was announced. So now they've gotten themselves on my radar. Jolla and Sailfish are all but unknown in the US. I assume it may be a little better for them where they're actually sold now, but I doubt that they're a household name like "Apple" or "Google" anywhere, so there's some free publicity for them, too.

Sure, zlatko's friend is unhappy that he's not gonna get what he paid for, but Turing Robotics already has his money, so that doesn't hurt anybody . . except the friend. And what's he gonna do about it, other than complain to a bunch of other disgruntled customers wherever Turningphone fans gather online?

And finally, if it never ships it doesn't matter what OS it didn't ship with

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
That sort of mentality didn't work too well for Jolla's IGG campaign, did it now?
Well, sure its personal opinion!
But to me it's a whole lot more than faithfully throwing money after the next campaign i propably have too high hopes in...
NOT, lol.

You are right, i am totally desperate to see mobile linux win and blindly invest into anything remotely promising commercial availabillity.

Thank me later if you can buy it in store again some day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
... from some company that has never released any device and announces plans to release it in a unrealistic timeframe, it raises a flag
And yet you are a Jolla fan (presumably)

My point is that one should perhaps apply ones rules fairly.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
There IS quite a considerable number of people in the world who has small or not-so-big hands, and operating a big phone is uncomfortable
I'm guessing that if the market only wanted smaller screens the manufacturers would only sell us smaller screens ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85410

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94313

Might be time for another poll soon!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
About Turing stuff... I actually heard about it first time when they announced the Sailfish move. Digging a little, AFAIK Turing phone is descendant of failed Quasar IV project, which had ambitious goals about unique OS:

QuaOS, Quasar IV’s operating system, is a fusion of Android, Linux and the Quatrix encryption software. The Quasar IV provides unprecedented security for Android users.

If the security/encryption related things were already built on top of Linux with some Android stuff on top of it, integrating/porting them to Sailfish shouldn't be much of an issue. This, of course, assuming that such software actually was written.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
TuringPhone on SailfishOS
https://twitter.com/YvesPE/status/694986966438408192

Looks like custom UI.
Edit: Or is it Yves photoshop skills that are fooling me?

Last edited by eekkelund; 2016-02-03 at 21:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone