I'm new to linux, and I want to make a widget for my nokia n900.

Can some one please tell me where can I find some exemples or how to get the codes from my current installed programs?

Which program should I use in linux or may I use Microsoft visual studio C? which files must I have to compile it?

thank you

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
here ya go: http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...eveloper_Guide
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

hi, i've read it but since I don't know how to work with linux, i can't even install the all the packages needed... I follow every step from guides but everytime something goes wrong on the instalation...

I'm not used to typing commands to install stuff. When something goes wrong like when I was installing scratchbox, it failed to get some files from the internet and I don't know if it was ever installed or what scratchbox even is... Thats why I'm asking you if is there another way.

Can I use any other program on Windows that will compile and work on my nokia n900?

Last edited by rickrvo; 2010-01-15 at 03:15.

You could use the virtual images. They come already setup for you.. all you need is the free VirtualBox or free vmware-server.

Both will run on Windows.. and then you boot a Linux inside a virtual machine and can develop in that.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I know. I'm using a maemo sdk image on vmware. is there another way? oh another question, where can I find the source codes of the currently available widgets?

thx

Or, if you are using Windows or Mac, you could try MADDE.

Development for Maemo really does require a bit of knowledge regarding Linux and the tools available on it. This isn't terribly surprising, considering that Maemo is just another Linux distribution, albeit with a very specific hardware focus.

If you want to develop for Maemo using C (as opposed to Python) then I highly recommend learning how to work in Linux. In fact, I'd suggest that if you want a chance at getting something in the repositories, it will be essential.

yeap Agree. I have to create a separate partition for Linux ubuntu to install the maemo emulator. Took me quite a while to figure out all the problems.

For those that is interested: (just my own notes).

0. Install the GUI version (download from Nokia)
http://www.forum.nokia.com/Tools_Doc...atforms/Maemo/

after that follow this

I will assume you will use Ubuntu (I am using Ubuntu 9.04)

lets call these machines:
1. Ubuntu Normal Screen
2. ScratchBox Screen --> where its actually running from Ubuntu Normal PC

1. Ubuntu Normal Screen
/scratchbox/login --> this will launch Scratchbox Screen

2. Ubuntu Normal Screen
Run Another Terminal then run this
Xephyr :2 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac -kb

3. Scratchbox Screen
On Scratchbox
export DISPLAY=:2
af-sb-init.sh start

Install QT (one time only)
4. Scratchbox Screen
After login needs to install the following:
fakeroot echo "deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ fremantle free non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
fakeroot echo "deb-src http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ fremantle free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
fakeroot echo "deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel fremantle free non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
fakeroot echo "deb-src http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel fremantle free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

fakeroot apt-get update
fakeroot apt-get remove libqt4*
fakeroot apt-get install libqt4-maemo5-dev

fakeroot apt-get install libqt4-gui libqt4-dev

fakeroot apt-get install libqt4-webkit libqt4-opengl

4b ->
sb-conf select FREMANTLE_ARMEL
arch -> make sure its arm
go back to step 4 to install for the ARM platform (just do all the commands again)

5. logout
6. Execute Step 1 and 3 again (since we just install qt we need to make sure the path has been updated)
Create a sample Qt Application
mkdir qt
cd qt
mkdir 1
cd 1

vi hello.cpp
#include <qapplication.h>
#include <qpushbutton.h>

int main( int argc, char **argv )
{
QApplication a( argc, argv );

QPushButton hello( "Hello world!", 0 );
hello.resize( 100, 30 );

//a.setMainWidget( &hello );
hello.show();
return a.exec();
}

8. Compile the program
qmake -project
qmake

./1
or
run-standalone.sh ./1 --> this will use the maemo theme

9. done ;-)

have fun

10.To Shutdown the screen

Scratchbox Screen
to shutdown
af-sb-init.sh stop

The Following User Says Thank You to tirtawn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
i, for one, recommend ditching pure C and using C++ instead. Programming with objects is sooooooo much easier.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
i, for one, recommend ditching pure C and using C++ instead. Programming with objects is sooooooo much easier.
I agree. Try Qt with C++. With Qt Creator and MADDE things are much more painless. If I understood correctly, in the near (I hope ) future they will be integrated. But even now, with MADDE Terminal, the commands you need are very few and easy to learn.