Active Topics

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
^ivgalvez still hasn't responded to my last response to him, so I don't know.
I'm not checking this thread again till next Mon or Tues...
But they have the link & can PM me if they want me to lock it, so they can edit/forward it.
Hi, sorry I didn't notice that post.

We haven't discussed any formal approach to Jolla, but SD69 volunteered to establish official contact with them.

I think the best approach is that you simply forward us by email (council@maemo.org) the list of questions. We can discuss it internally, maybe clean it up a bit and send it to them.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Hi, sorry I didn't notice that post.

We haven't discussed any formal approach to Jolla, but SD69 volunteered to establish official contact with them.

I think the best approach is that you simply forward us by email (council@maemo.org) the list of questions. We can discuss it internally, maybe clean it up a bit and send it to them.
Sure, just grab the questions from here when you're ready...
Maybe do a final call for Qns in this thread & elsewhere (mail-list/IRC etc) before you do.
After that I can lock the doc from all but the CC, then you can edit it & send them the link, or copy it all into an email.
If they just answered the questions directly in the doc it might be a little more transparent.
No middle man (Community Council) needed to forward on email correspondence etc.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-26 at 10:49. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Wonder if people here will be willing to pay higher price for a Jolla phone than todays androids?

Because I am sure the Jolla mobiles will be higher priced cause of a lot less volumes.... What also pisses me of is how Google is doing buy selling Nexus a hell to lowpriced. That hurt every damn company including themselfts in the longer run.
Would I pay a higher price for features that I want (namely GNU/Linux in a phone with a HW keyboard and uSD card slot, etc, etc)? Definitely.

Would I pay a higher price than $MAXXXSPEXXX_ANDROID_FLAGSHIP to simply buy a generic slab running Mer? Hell no.

I am guessing they will be comparing their prices with the Lumia line and probably put it a bit above that. Which in the current market is better/lower than a bit above top line Android.

I don't think it'll be a generic slab, though.

I just thought about whether "jolla OS" is a good name for a brand. I certainly like it much more than maemo and meego, its short and unique and the logo looks quite nice.

However I am a bit concerned that "jolla" is too difficult to pronounce in english. Any native english speaker can comment on this?
In german its a bit awkward to say, but sounds kinda jolly.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
jolla is spanish for jewel, pronouced ho-ya

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
A bit more flattering than 'Lumia'

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
A bit more flattering than 'Lumia'
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
Not really. It is joya that is Spanish for jewel. Jolla, as such, doesn't exist as an Spanish word. However, both joya and jolla (if it existed) would be pronounced the same in Spanish.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
I just thought about whether "jolla OS" is a good name for a brand. I certainly like it much more than maemo and meego, its short and unique and the logo looks quite nice.

However I am a bit concerned that "jolla" is too difficult to pronounce in english. Any native english speaker can comment on this?
In german its a bit awkward to say, but sounds kinda jolly.
I might just start calling it jOS, some (most?) people might confuse it with some competitor, think it's the next hottest thing and that they'll be nothing without it and there you go, market share for the new player ;-)

+1 to kevloral, although I did say earlier in the thread that jolla isn't jewel in Spanish. As for the pronounciation, a Spanish speaker from Spain might disagree, but I do agree with you, kevloral.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla