Poll: How did your install go?
Poll Options
How did your install go?

ya i have been using debian distros for a while now. i had tried that and it just spit out an error telling me the kde package was uninstallable. curiously, the application manager still works tough.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Installed. Runs ... Drooling. Damn I have to go to bed, just cause of work ... *sigh* Seriously. This really rocks. Though I did learn one very important lesson.

If you have bzip2 installed remove it.

If you don't follow the above in red be prepared to really bork your install as bad as I did. Basically everything started installing in /usr/local on the internal memory not on the mmc ... oooops. Ok live learn. re-build and POOF we have kde... wow a real window manager who woulda thunk it. *grin*.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
ya i have been using debian distros for a while now. i had tried that and it just spit out an error telling me the kde package was uninstallable. curiously, the application manager still works tough.
Just curious. Did you have bzip2 installed before you started? Thats how I fubared mine...

yup. any way to reccoover w/o a flash?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
yup. any way to reccoover w/o a flash?
NO NEED TO REFLASH

Recover what? if you are not successful installing KDE the first time, it will leave a broken package in application manager, which can not be uninstalled. But if you figure out why the install is failing it will be successful, then it can be uninstalled.

So I guess I need a disclaimer, once you start your commited to keep going, you must get the install to be successful in order to remove it.

But if its successful why would you want to remove it. anyway sorry for confusion.

PM, me how I can instant message you or talk on IRC and I will contact you and give you a hand.

pb
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

My biggest trouble by far on the install side was getting proper downloads of the install .debs once I did it worked great, this is very cool, with some tweaking kde could be a great TOTAL replacement for hildeon or whatever its called I can never remember, some kind of mental block

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
NO NEED TO REFLASH

Recover what? if you are not successful installing KDE the first time, it will leave a broken package in application manager, which can not be uninstalled. But if you figure out why the install is failing it will be successful, then it can be uninstalled.

So I guess I need a disclaimer, once you start your commited to keep going, you must get the install to be successful in order to remove it.

But if its successful why would you want to remove it. anyway sorry for confusion.

PM, me how I can instant message you or talk on IRC and I will contact you and give you a hand.

pb
Well apt is broken, so I have to use the application manager now. I am trying to get rid of bzip2 which is what is causing it to fail, but I cant because imlib2 depends on it, and I cant figure out how to remove imlib2.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- just voted with two thumbs up!

- before the install i checked /home/user for any .font file/dir and there was none...

- after installing KDE, again, no .font found

- ran microb before running KDE for first time - no font problem

- ran KDE->control panel->appearance->fonts, changed most fonts to Nokia Sans 8pt

- ran microb after exiting KDE - no font problem and no .font file/dir (although there are .fontconfig and .fonts.conf present)

- ran microb after rebooting - no font problem

- ran skipping and singing throughout the house due to KDE running on my n800!

Happy happy! Joy joy!

:-)

Edit: Oops! spoke too soon! <sigh> experienced same font prob! interestingly, this only happened after the first time i ran konqueror in KDE????

KDE uninstalled cleanly, and voila! the fonts were back to OK in microb!

Last edited by linux_author; 2008-01-17 at 12:17.

Hi Penguinbait,

Here are my first impresssions of your kde port.

First of all its fabulous what you did. And thanks for the fast responses.

Shure, it took some time to load and it was a bit strange to me that kde works on top of maemo but it was also fully working. So here is what i realized:

1. The mayor "bug" in my opinion is not the speed of kde but the fact that many screens doesnt fit. So it was often hard for me to find the buttons on the bottom of a window. I switched of the task-bar (a very usefull feature, btw) but that didn't helped.

Solution: maybe a scrollbar or the possibility to grab the screen like in the browser window under maemo. Or you fix the windows so that they fit on the screen. I have to admit that i havent found out how to set the screen solution. But maybe i just missed it. ;-)

2. The task windows ...
Whenever i taped on the folder buttons and the names in it the bar was closed without starting the actually tapped program. So I had to use the hardware buttons to navigate and to start a program.

3. It seems to me that there are some features of kde which only blew up the whole thing but werent really neccessary. For instance the cpu and memory indicator on the task-bar. Or screensavers. I don't think they are needed.

4. The built in keyboard widget. The layout seems to be user unfriendly. Its really nice that it looks like a "real" keyboard. But on the other hand its harder to hit the buttons cause of the space in between. The keyboard of hildon is better designed. Also the feature that it popup whenever a textfield is tapped is usefull. But its nevertheless good work. I really like the possibility to resize yours.

5. its fully functional but a bit slow. But for some reason only the loading of the progz (5-10 secs) not the running of them!?

6. it took some time for me to find out how to install the lisa damon for network access... I didnt know how to get the root password... but that was my fault

Now a last question: Will it be possible to install deb packages or other linux progz under kde in the future (or is it still possible)?

So, thats it. Hope it helped.

I really love what you did. Go on. ;-)

I'm going on playing with this fun working master toy!

Tybalt

KDE is developed by hundreds of people and is an enormous project, we can't just go in and mess around with it to fit the n800. It is designed to be used on large screens on desktops and laptops, it is a hack on the n800. It is very cool to have all this power available on this little device, but I think it will always have to remain a hack.

Anyway, to address some issues,

1. Ya, this is a problem. KDE is only tested at 800x600, so 800x480 doesnt always work well. Maximizing your windows though will usually get them to fit in the screen.

2. Ya, this sucks, but the nav pad works fine, so it is OK.

3. Yes, it would be nice to slim it down, but hte cpu thing on the taskbar for example AFAIK cannot be removed, because it is part of ksysguard. You can however remove it from the taskbar by clicking on it, and then clicking on the tiny tiny arrow that shows up on the top left corner and hitting close.

4. I wonder if it is possible to use the hildon keyboard in KDE. Anyone know a command for it? I dont like the kde keyboard either, but it is nice that it can be resized and hidden and moved around. It would also be nice to get rid of the Fn keys on it, since they just waste space.

5. KDE apps are very large, and since SD cards are very slow compared to hard drives, you get bad performance. Again, KDE is designed for desktops with large and fast hard drives.

7. Yes, it is possible to install linux apps. You can either use kpackage, the Hildon Application Manager or just use apt-get straight from the command line. In addition, running a kde desktop means you can compile programs by yourself. Be prepared for dependency hell though.

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35