Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Most of you seem to fail to understand WHY iOS and Android enforce a very strict control over what runs in the background.
Because they are dumbed down mobile OS made to be popular among millions of dumbed down users. Goodbye real multitasking and even real state of last used softwares, after all, only us geeks know what they mean.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The decision originally to limit multi-tasking to serial tasking was mainly because of RAM limitations on the iPhone 3GS.
I still have my Psion Revo+ working : 16MB of RAM/disk memory, about 100 installed softwares, full multitasking and visible file system, EPOC OS with micro-kernel, 2 years without rebooting even when I was developing (typing, compiling and testing) on it in OPL, qwerty keyboard way better than current smartphones.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
I still have my Psion Revo+ working : 16MB of RAM/disk memory, about 100 installed softwares, full multitasking and visible file system, EPOC OS with micro-kernel, 2 years without rebooting even when I was developing (typing, compiling and testing) on it in OPL, qwerty keyboard way better than current smartphones.
The programmers then knew how to code without so much bloat. Efficiency isn't practiced any longer by no means - why do it because the fast GPU, CPU and RAM combo can allow bad programmers to look halfway decent. Nor did your Psion (I SO wanted one!) have to deal with the same number of systems, 3D graphics, colors and what not that people expect now.

Still... that device was so ahead of its time man. People could learn so much from those "simpler" times.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
lol neckbeard snobbery...

and thats why this place will die an slow obscure death while he world moves on

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
lol. I've been called a lot of things, but never a snob nor a neckbeard.

Last edited by gerbick; 2012-10-03 at 06:15.

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Most of you seem to fail to understand WHY iOS and Android enforce a very strict control over what runs in the background.

Just search this forum for misterious battery drains on the N900 and N9. There is a tradeoff here, they restricted background processes (you CAN run bakcground tasks like downloads/uploads, music player, anything), so that amateur programmers creating bad apps don't waste battery power.

On Maemo, it was easy for a badly written app to consume all the battery easily, because it could run in the background without any safeguards.
Since you're talking battery, those ads that appear in Android and iOS consume quite a lot of battery charge.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
lol neckbeard snobbery...

and thats why this place will die an slow obscure death while he world moves on
Sure, move out & on. And don't let the door hit you on your way out. We'll keep the house party running as long as it fits us
I enjoy the company of wise, smelly neckbeards more than pastures (worlds) full of playful, noisy, clueless kids.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Birmingham, UK
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Sure, move out & on. And don't let the door hit you on your way out. We'll keep the house party running as long as it fits us
I enjoy the company of wise, smelly neckbeards more than pastures (worlds) full of playful, noisy, clueless kids.
I am embarrassed to say i had to google "neckbeard".

As you were.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leoniedelt For This Useful Post:
No worries, I siried genius and got a neckbeard Einstein instead.What to believe, what to believe...

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
That's a load of waffle. It can't be real multitasking if a task is closed without user consent. Simples.
Ever heard of the OOM-killer?

I've actually set overcommit_memory to 2 (and overcommit_ratio to 90) to make sure the kernel doesn't do any overbooking. But there's still a chance that the kernel might decide to kill a program without asking the user.