Active Topics

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
... cellphoneshop.net has a really cheap USB charger kit ... It includes:

USB to charger cable

Adaptors (incl. nokia adaptor that works with phones that use the same charger as the N800)

A vehicle cigarette lighter plug (so you can use the USB cable in your car, instead of only at a PC).

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/unusbchkitfo.html

I bought 3 (1 cable to carry, 1 cable for the office, 1 cable for home; 1 plug to keep in the car).
johnkzin (or anyone else who bought this combo charger kit): has it worked out well? For AC, car, and off powerpack or usb?

Same kit is available now at dealextreme for $6.60.

I'm considering buying one but I'm concerned about frying my Tablet -- any chance of that?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Just adding to my previous post that my concerns also apply to most other 3rd party (especially cheap ones) as they simply route usb 5V DV to the tablet.
It may be ok - may be not.
Depends on details in tablet/charger design, e.g. some bigger controller parts might be in the charger, not in the tablet cuz it's more cost effective.

Confirming that nokia charger (original) doesn't produce DC current (not clean DC at least).
I connected headphones and hear high pitched sound, while DC should be silent and cllick on connection only. Can't say much more without an osciloscope but I'll refrain from using my usb chagher. It either never managed to fully charge or just messed up tablet's charger status.
Either way I never saw "Fully charged" mesage even after leaving to chaarge over night in off mode (but tabllet worked for the whole day after).

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ U.S.A.
Originally Posted by chilko View Post

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4860

here is one for $5.44 with free shipping worldwide. i'm using the site frequently and goods arrive in about two weeks
I agree. Also, this one is even better:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7087

It's more versatile. Comes with a car/AC dual charger for a dollar more. The Nokia tip matches the n800 - I tested it.

Last edited by jgombos; 2008-04-17 at 23:04.

USB cahrger CA-100 $0.01 - $1.00 on eBay

I was thinking about hacking up the adapter that shipped with the n800 and just attaching a female USB connector on the other end. Has anybody tried this?

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
One point about the third party nokia tips from China, I've 4 sets and they are all a slightly smaller diameter than that which comes with the tablet. I have to "wiggle" them to get a connection, and if they are bumped they usually lose connection. Whereas my OEM does not.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
One point about the third party nokia tips from China, I've 4 sets and they are all a slightly smaller diameter than that which comes with the tablet. I have to "wiggle" them to get a connection, and if they are bumped they usually lose connection. Whereas my OEM does not.
Yup. I've had that problem.

But, then, I had that problem with the one I mentioned above, another one (that's retractable), AND with the actual Nokia wall-wart charger. That's one of many reasons why I'd like to see the death of custom charging solutions.

Charge via ((Mini|Micro)-)?USB connectors only, thank you.

Somehow, I doubt we'll see that in the next NIT design, though.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ U.S.A.
I suspect it's the outer diameter that's at issue. Has anyone tried dropping some silver solder on the outer connector to tighten it?