Active Topics

Notices

How come the N95 could make video calls and N900 can't? I can understand their excuse that no one using mms anymore because of email (actually I know it was just an excuse) but what is the explanation for lack of video calling? Or rather what is the excuse. Surely they cannot say it is because of built in skype because how many people have skype accounts and for those that have how often are they connected.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
How come the N95 could make video calls and N900 can't? I can understand their excuse that no one using mms anymore because of email (actually I know it was just an excuse) but what is the explanation for lack of video calling? Or rather what is the excuse. Surely they cannot say it is because of built in skype because how many people have skype accounts and for those that have how often are they connected.
Because the N95 was a phone and the N900 is a 'mobile computer'.

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
Because the N95 was a phone and the N900 is a 'mobile computer'.
Lol okay thanks for the Nokia marketing speak.

I miss sending/receiving faxes on my old Nokia Communicators & 3G video calls on my old Nokia E90, both not available on the N900. Reason probably being no one does fax & 3G calls anymore these days because of emails, Skype, GTalk, Gmail, Facebook etc... :-(

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Because N95 is symbian based and N900 is Maemo5 based. As a phone, the N95 defeats the N900 in 3G video call, MMS, voice call quality. As a mobile computer, the N95 wins over N900 in using front camera, turning itself into a PC wireless high quality web camera via Mobila Web Camera. With a weak CPU and only less than 56MB of RAM, the N95 is a clear winner in managing applications it has, with multitasking ability.
People behind the N95 do not make excuses for what N95 cannot do, they just silently try to make it better with new firmware. People behind N900 always start by saying there is no need, no interest, no market, no blah blah... for cleaning up their own mess!
Sorry for the heat. I loved my old N95. I am in love with my new N900 and will not go back to the N95. I just hope smart people behind N900 stop being so smart with their excuses and start looking at what they lack comparing to the older systems, learning from them and improving the Maemo5.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duy2anh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
t kinda feels like Nokia didn't took the N900 seriouslly enough

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
t kinda feels like Nokia didn't took the N900 seriouslly enough
Yeah, I feel the same. I think Nokia just throw the N900 out in order to get free ideas, programmers, and testers so they can legally steal and use in their more markettable devices for common users. We N900 users will never be able to enjoy the maker's support comfort as those buying N97, N8, or ... Iphones! We are on our own with this device of wonder from the start because Nokia don't promise anything and never will. Not that big deal because we have so mighty a community to support ourself anyway. Many Thanks to Maemo community!

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Duy2anh View Post
Because N95 is symbian based and N900 is Maemo5 based. As a phone, the N95 defeats the N900 in 3G video call, MMS, voice call quality. As a mobile computer, the N95 wins over N900 in using front camera, turning itself into a PC wireless high quality web camera via Mobila Web Camera. With a weak CPU and only less than 56MB of RAM, the N95 is a clear winner in managing applications it has, with multitasking ability.
People behind the N95 do not make excuses for what N95 cannot do, they just silently try to make it better with new firmware. People behind N900 always start by saying there is no need, no interest, no market, no blah blah... for cleaning up their own mess!
Sorry for the heat. I loved my old N95. I am in love with my new N900 and will not go back to the N95. I just hope smart people behind N900 stop being so smart with their excuses and start looking at what they lack comparing to the older systems, learning from them and improving the Maemo5.
My opinion: I don't think we are in any state of denial. It's just different way of doing things, and getting used to that. When we bought into the N900, we (should) were aware of the available function and features. Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware, right?)Video calls were going to be via Skype, but we can pray hard for 3G video call application to be developed soon. MMS was once not available on the N900, but now we have fMMS.

Of course I'm 110% all for improving the Maemo5 applications.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
video calls work great with skype and google for me at least . I use it everyday .

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by danx View Post
video calls work great with skype and google for me at least . I use it everyday .
I need 3G video call...I don't have any friends on Skype / google