Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Richmond, BC, CAN
Here's my situation in a nutshell.

Previous 770 user, then n810 (which I still have).

I got my Android (HTC Dream/G1) in September of last year ('09) and have barely touched my N810 since. The only time I used it is while going to the US, to use the GPS (since it is free, and doesn't need data).

The G1 does almost everything the Nokia does (some better, some worse).

I'm contemplating giving it up, and going back to Nokia (and getting the N900).

Questions I have, how are apps with the Nokia now? Are there more available? I have really liked the ability of how many Android apps are out there. That being said I do miss things like Carman which I used often with my car (which the Dream doesn't support).

I paid for the 3yr service for the Map software on my N810. This can be transfered to the N900 from what I'm aware. Another thing that upset me about the N810 was how bad the navigation/search was. I couldn't find half the places using search, and would need to manually pick the place on the map and make it a waypoint to go there. Is this now better with N900.

My carrier (rogers) upgraded me to the HTC Magic for free. But i'm thinking about selling it, and the n810 and getting a n900 in return.

Yes, no, thoughts?

Thanks again, I've always loved the community here.

I had the G1 last also.

The thing you'll notice with the N900 is the speed increase over it. It'll take you a good 24 hours to get a great feel of the phone along with the customization aspect plus the keyboard. The apps aren't as expansive right now, but the great majority (if not all?) are free. The maps also aren't as great right now, using OVI Maps 1.0. It can locate you on the GPS and give you directions accurately, but it's slow. Camera is amazing compared to the G1.. along with web-browsing.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Richmond, BC, CAN
leme get this straight. So the 3 years of subscription I paid to wayfinder, cannot be transferred over to the N900?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Gujustud View Post
leme get this straight. So the 3 years of subscription I paid to wayfinder, cannot be transferred over to the N900?
The current version of ovi maps for maemo does not support voice guided turn by turn navigation. When it does finally support navigation (n910?) it will be for free.

As far as I know wayfinder does not and will not work on n900.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Curse you Ovi maps . . . The N900 needs a Google Maps app

UPDATE: I am sorry Ovi maps it seems we have never met and I seem to have confused you with maemo mapper

Last edited by mrebanza; 2010-01-28 at 10:06.

Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
Curse you Ovi maps . . . The N900 needs a Google Maps app
Doesn't it work in the browser??
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kirkland, WA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
It does, but the whole click-and-drag thing to move the map is quite awkward, as you need to activate the pointer to do so. A Google Maps app would be awesome.

Originally Posted by gravis86 View Post
It does, but the whole click-and-drag thing to move the map is quite awkward, as you need to activate the pointer to do so. A Google Maps app would be awesome.
No argument.. I was more being a smartass an anything .

Pandora evidently works in the browser.. and yet - look at my sig .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post

It does amazingly but what doesn't is GPS Google Maps Navigation with at this point I must say is one of the only advantages to a Droid vs N900

The browser version of Google Maps doesn't work with GPS so it doesn't know where you are

This really sucks big time . . . someone should port this Android App into Maemo

Here you can see what im talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6COwgigJ-g