Ok, got it booting as well (thanks fifth & born2wonder, ap-get install lxde did the trick). Now I got the next problems, namely he same as born2wonder: fn key doesn't work, so I can't input numbers etc. Also my german key layout does not work, so all function keys are garbled.
What kind of network management system did you install ? NetworkManager and nm-applet? Or anything else?

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by born2wonder View Post
Hi,
I am having the old problem of fn key not being recognized (N810).
I upgraded hal, with no avail.
FN key is still not recognized in xev command.

I am using hal 0.5.12~rc1+git20090204. I tried downgrading to 0.5.12~rc1+git20090120-0ubuntu1mer1 but that didn't work either.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Make sure you have the xkb-data package from the Mer repo installed in addition to the Mer evdev package (I don't remember exactly what it was called or the version numbers)

Try installing synaptic...it might help with lining out the right package numbers.

nm-applet only seems to work in hildon (Mer). I consistently ran into issues with nm-applet and gnome-keyring-daemon when I tried using nm-applet. Other possibilities would include manually setting up the /etc/network/interfaces files (there is information about doing that around there and on the ubuntu forums). Also, there is a program called wicd which is supposed to be decent and might be worth a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
I have another problem right now. X fails to load. I am using Mer's xorg.conf, and Xorg.0.log seems to be OK up to the very end where it says
Backtrace:
0: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(xorg_backtrace+0x28) [0xeada8]
Saw signal 11. Server aborting.
[ 2.428467] (NI) OMAPFBLeaveVT
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
I am attaching the full Xorg.0.log (rename from Xorg.0.txt).
The system has all packagfes updated and sys-env-base, sys-env-x ubuntu-desktop installed.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.txt (8.5 KB, 449 views)

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
nm-applet only seems to work in hildon (Mer).
It works in GNOME and KDE too

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
It works in GNOME and KDE too
The problems may have been ironed out now...but nm-applet definitely caused the system to be unusable last time I tested it. Everything would be fine until I tried putting in a password in nm-applet for the first time and then the system would grind to a halt.

Originally Posted by n810_itt View Post
Ok, got it booting as well (thanks fifth & born2wonder, ap-get install lxde did the trick). Now I got the next problems, namely he same as born2wonder: fn key doesn't work, so I can't input numbers etc. Also my german key layout does not work, so all function keys are garbled.
What kind of network management system did you install ? NetworkManager and nm-applet? Or anything else?
Lxde install worked for me as well but now I'm stick at the logon screen: I know, it's a stupid question, but I cannot see any virtual keyboard, how do I actually write username & pw?

Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by TerroneX View Post
Lxde install worked for me as well but now I'm stick at the logon screen: I know, it's a stupid question, but I cannot see any virtual keyboard, how do I actually write username & pw?

Thanks a lot!
Code:
apt-get install tablet-gdm-autologin
should fix the problem

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
Code:
apt-get install tablet-gdm-autologin
should fix the problem
It acually made something, I'm now receiving an error:
"No servers were defined in the configuration file and XDMCP was disabled. This can only be a configuration error (well, my mistake I guess )... bla bla timed logins are disabled now"

I keep on pushin ok but I keep cycling on this forever...

Video tells more than thousand pics for those who wanna know how fast is KDE 4.2

(i am typing this from KDE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DThOHGb2rr0

EDIT: It's running on Mer but that shoudn't matter, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'd love to see video of Ubuntu Gnome in action, as a comparison.
I wonder what the minimal-minimal Gnome package list is in Ubuntu?

Tags
gnome, kde, ubuntu