So any news on the date for the London meet? Worried I missed it amongst the google hate...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Missed the point bad endsormeans. I like those offroad tracks in conversations and like to follow them but they always get stopped by you or someone else. Just tried to make room for them.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Android hate ?
Ans: no glibc, instead using bionic, killing Linux compatibility with Android (kernels, etc).
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by British View Post
You're missing the point. .....truncated.....
....truncated.... just because it's definitely not easy (or even completely possible) to hide, doesn't mean we have to surrender and obediently bask in the joy of using every tool they throw at us.....

......truncated.... Yet, to rerail the thread a bit more, my interest in the Pro1 is two-fold: HWKB (because I loved that with the N900), and a real open Linux-based OS (because I guess you've figured my position about Android by now ).

I'm glad SFOS is being worked on for the Pro1, and that Leste may happen as well, but as much as I want to support Chen for attempting this, I won't commit to buying it if it ultimately only works on Android (or some unfinished or not fully usable FOSS/OS).
So well put, so many good points! Thanks for sharing the video channel. Though ironic that he doesn't have an RSS feed or a non google host of his video, just saying .

I see many people in my life who see a fight for privacy and think it's too inconvenient, so they don't even try. Or don't see the long term picture of how it WILL effect them in the future.

So I appreciate your well said and none combative statement on the matter. Cheers mate

x

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
First...
There isn't any android hate out of me...
I said android's store is a hot mess...and 1/10 of the apps are worth the time

I never said hate...
Google, Facebook all of their ilk ...is insidious ....Evil Genius ...even...yes...
But I don't hate google.
and I don't hate android.
I use it..
prefer it over iphone
couldn't do what I need done daily ...on the current state of alt os's ...
Apart from work and business...
Its Linux for me.

But never said hate..

as far as the pitiful stab at misdirection to cow or make others defend a position you are attributing them with...which I don't think anyone used the words hate or inferred it.

Instead ...suicidal_orange,,,
why not go down to your local Starbucks...
buy a Latte ...
and impress people with your astounding ability which is so absolutely normal, common and low ...
I am sure they will admire your wit.

@ Maemish...
As far as being a voice of reason or sanity or civil behaviour or even intelligent non-Trump-esque dialogue here ....in this forum ...
on that ....I absolutely give up.
This place has degenerated from intelligent dialogue and intelligent argument
to ...at best...off topic derailment to baseless insinuations and accusations to complete Horse Blinder-ed vision to what others are even saying, taking only what they wish to from another's full statement,...
into a cesspool..
I respect good intelligent counter argument(s) ...
But I won't play freakin' "Hall Monitor" to such low and pitiful attempts at comebacks....
Instead I will simply tear them apart with words.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-05-16 at 17:11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
..... I was visiting for a job interview. .....
So after hearing that did you

a. Walked out
b. took the job
c. Immediately started using foss search (probably did exist back then)
d. other (fill in the blank)

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-05-16 at 17:17.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I've got to say I'm a little disappointed that it was not mention here (perhaps I missed it) That Fx pro was in NYC!!!! And that they were on the twit show "all about android"! Fx talk starts around the 37min mark.

Anyway great to see the product getting around.

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-05-16 at 18:48.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Why hate android? There are reasons to dislike it, and there is no need to repeat them.

But in case of small batch startup trying to build smartphone/UMPC there is no alternative. It gives smaller companies an ability to build something different without wasting limited resources on ecosystem development. Like it or not but it's almost impossible to do day to day stuff without iOS/Android smartphone. We are currently in duopoly of iOS and Android, and the first one isn't available for general public.

Sailfish isn't ready as an alternative yet, others are just geek toys(that we like), or running on life support to fulfill corporate contacts.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DDark View Post
.... Like it or not but it's almost impossible to do day to day stuff without iOS/Android smartphone... .
I will say that it's entirely depend on your needs, right.

So for me my n900 with Maemo, fills all my needs. I don't do social and never need most of the 3rd party apps that lock you into the iOS/Android eco. I do miss everyone using Skype and me just being able to video chat with most people.

However we the consumer have helped to allow these 2 companies be a duopoly.

x

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
You took it to the wrong point.

The topic is about upcoming qwerty-keyboard phone and there's no way that it could be released without Android.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit