Man.. I'm just getting pwned . (Oh look, Firefox doesn't like that word either.) I thought about fixing it after Revd called me on it, but this is much funner this way.

And I'm sorry, but I say lol. I like lol. I will continue to say lol. So I guess I should be banned.

lol.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by smarsh View Post
- some people are just not native and shouldn't be expected to become so for our comfort
- some use, even if perceived to be challenging, is legitimate within the culture of the poster. It's just the way things are
- the police would need to be experts in english grammar and current usage. Anyone here?
- quis custodiet ipsos custodes (thanks Juvenal)?
None of those points feel like a problem to me since nobody is suggesting perfection - I'm sorry if it seemed like I did.

We'd like to keep the lower few percent off and maybe encourage the elders (relatively speaking) to a higher bar.

Non-natives are not an issue for a filter that does "lolz". Nor is it a word in any language (I know).

As for your last two points, we don't need experts as this isn't OxfordForumsExtremeNaziEdition, we simply want less garbage. And at that rate, the custodes are ourselves.

Besides, eve if the software were a bit nazi-like, you'd need chronic issues with lulz and a smiley fetish to actually bury yourself. We're talking 100 bad posts here. Less if you really overdo it.

Edit: Like that ^, lol.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Shoot. I volunteered.

I wouldn't call that horrible. Less than perfect. [serious]Seriously now, I hope that's not your real standard for horrible
Aha! And who gets to choose the standard?

However, I agree, lazy writing. And for the love of... please someone pin a sticky explaining the difference between N900s and N900's.

I've seen this on banners in the UK. It's eating me up inside, it's so simple, yet a complete mistery.
Why is it a mystery?

Yes we could. You could ban lol, u, 2, u2, and improve as the need arises.
Banning challenging Irish rock bands is a bit steep, isn't it?

Which reminds me - edited posts should be re-rated, maximum of one or two edits.
Which would in fact discourage those posters who would like to correct their mistakes and learn...

Last edited by smarsh; 2010-01-21 at 21:26. Reason: Nothing grammatical, I assure you.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I never suggested scanning for prepositions at the end of sentences. I meant overall, most annoying part of each, as needed.
To quote Churchill, "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

However, I agree, lazy writing. And for the love of... please someone pin a sticky explaining the difference between N900s and N900's.

I've seen this on banners in the UK. It's eating me up inside, it's so simple, yet a complete mistery.
It sickens me too. I sneak around with a big felt tip pen at night and correct notices for "Onion's 5 for £!" and Tesco selling "Fuel, clothes and CD's"

I am never insulted by the truth. I only take something personally if I detect intent. Plus, I volunteered.
Thank you for taking my 'red pen' in the humourous spirit in which it was intended.

*Checks post for spelling and typing errors before hitting 'send'*

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Well, me, duh.

lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Frankly, a smart answer would be "the community, guided by the standards imposed on us by the moderators and community leaders", but it'd be overkill.

Do we need a defining standard to lower the usage of l33t speak and plain childish behavior simply for the love of childish behavior? (sorry, my spellchecker like "behavior" to "behaviour").

Why is it a mystery?
I meant it's so easy a rule yet a mistery to so maby who misuse the apostrophe.

Banning challenging Irish rock bands is a bit steep, isn't it?
Ha! Didn't see that one.

Which would in fact discourage those posters who would like to correct their mistakes and learn...
I fail to see how that would be discouraging. You review the post, and submit. You can edit and post will be re-evaluated. Maybe again. Not endlessly because for one it would be bad for activity on forum and because one could use the forum as a spellchecker, not its original usage (assuming such a software uses red to point out mistakes)

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
That's my point. I want good content. I don't actually care too much about the odd typo, grammatical error or spelling mistake.
Agreed, but extremely poor spelling usually seems to go hand-in-hand with low-content posts.

It's not about a typo or two or even grammatical errors... It's the "lol n900 is graet lol what do u thinks lol" and "hello i did not use search how do i make a phone call lol" posts/posters that need to be moderated out with an iron fist for the forum to remain usable for the rest of the users.

Last edited by hqh; 2010-01-21 at 21:36.

None of those points feel like a problem to me since nobody is suggesting perfection - I'm sorry if it seemed like I did.
I don't think you did, but the challenge is trying to think about what really makes sense in a cultural context. Like it or not, things like lol or whatever are appropriate for specific (sub) cultures. Regardless of their existence in a dictionary they exist and are legitimately used by probably millions of people every day. No, this doesn't make them right, but it does make them part of the vernacular, so to speak.

We'd like to keep the lower few percent off and maybe encourage the elders (relatively speaking) to a higher bar.

Non-natives are not an issue for a filter that does "lolz". Nor is it a word in any language (I know).

As for your last two points, we don't need experts as this isn't OxfordForumsExtremeNaziEdition, we simply want less garbage. And at that rate, the custodes are ourselves.

Besides, eve if the software were a bit nazi-like, you'd need chronic issues with lulz and a smiley fetish to actually bury yourself. We're talking 100 bad posts here. Less if you really overdo it.

Edit: Like that ^, lol.
I fail to see why this is a good thing. Regardless of how many posts it would take to bury myself, you are trying to judge others by your own standards. There are quite large problems with this approach that we should avoid if at all possible.

Leading by example is certainly not a bad thing though. Keep your posts clean and simple, respond to queries or comments that are legitimate in your own correct style, hope for the best.

Whilst I'm on the subject, Kathy, your example of so-called weak communication is not weak at all, it's just an example of a sub culture. Perhaps even a dialect. Laziness be damned.

(I know whereof I speak, having spoken a dialect unintelligible to those from outside of the area in which I was born for several years until we moved (I was born in the Black Country) - definitely not BBC-speak...)

To quote Churchill, "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
I Googled for that for 5 minutes before giving up.

It sickens me too. I sneak around with a big felt tip pen at night and correct notices for "Onion's 5 for £!" and Tesco selling "Fuel, clothes and CD's"
I almost dropped my mouse laughing. If you ever get caught by the police, drop me a message, I'm catching the first plane over. _This_ I have to see. I've never seen a monocle dropped in a tea cup before.

Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Agreed, but extremely poor spelling usually seems to go hand-in-hand with low-content posts.

It's not about a typo or two or even grammatical errors... It's the "lol n900 is graet lol what do u thinks lol" posts/posters that need to be moderated out with an iron fist for the forum to remain usable for the rest of the users.
In your opinion. If I was to post:

The n900 is great what does everyone here think.

Does this make for better content?

It is possible to be correct whilst also being dim. It is impossible to ascertain the difference unless you are a person (and possibly charged with weeding out the dim.)

Tags
back to school vs, back to the woods, community, expert system, grammar, improvement, lol, me talk pretty one day, spelling