Originally Posted by sconf View Post
I have no specific setting on android or n9 to get BlueVPN working. Not even commenting out the DisablePlugins in N9, no settings on BlueVPN. I don't have Nexus. I can get it working from ICS, but not from JB. In JB there is some unobscure error, maybe my ROM is not compatible with BlueVPN.

From JB I'm using Android built in BT PAN connection (to n900...not N9). Others have tweaked BT PAN working on N9 also.
interesting, there must be something I'm not doing. I've done very little with my n9 do far (don't want to have to flash it!) eg no inception and only networking and utilities installed on the developer mode screen. I've just tried app-get install pptp-client as per maemo thread 35961, but it errors couldn't find package (I did devel-su first).

I do have n9qt installed (am very impressed by schturman + co) but just minimal things selected (swype bubbles off, traffic/etc in drive, enlarge avatar, video zooming, couldn't get larger emoticons in messages as I don't have inception

my nexus is rooted now, and is 4.2.1 jb so I wonder if bluevpn doesn't like that....though it seems ppp widget gets the same problem with my n9, possibly pointing blame towards my n9s setup?

I'm sure in years gone by I could create debug logs in Linux for dial up connections to see what I'd got set wrong....is there a way to set debugging up on my n9 to debug the mobile data link to log file to somewhere? (my Linux is very rusty....slackware in the 90's was good fun!!)

maybe my uk Orange 3g connection needs me to use specific ap/uid/pwd when being called by a remote device (the nexus 7), I've set ap to orangeinternet to match the n9s settings, on n9 the ap uid/pwd are both blank....maybe I need something when using a remote app?

all help/comments very gratefully received! Thanks

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Birmingham, UK
Originally Posted by Scouse Mouse View Post
interesting, there must be something I'm not doing. I've done very little with my n9 do far (don't want to have to flash it!) eg no inception and only networking and utilities installed on the developer mode screen. I've just tried app-get install pptp-client as per maemo thread 35961, but it errors couldn't find package (I did devel-su first).

I do have n9qt installed (am very impressed by schturman + co) but just minimal things selected (swype bubbles off, traffic/etc in drive, enlarge avatar, video zooming, couldn't get larger emoticons in messages as I don't have inception

my nexus is rooted now, and is 4.2.1 jb so I wonder if bluevpn doesn't like that....though it seems ppp widget gets the same problem with my n9, possibly pointing blame towards my n9s setup?

I'm sure in years gone by I could create debug logs in Linux for dial up connections to see what I'd got set wrong....is there a way to set debugging up on my n9 to debug the mobile data link to log file to somewhere? (my Linux is very rusty....slackware in the 90's was good fun!!)

maybe my uk Orange 3g connection needs me to use specific ap/uid/pwd when being called by a remote device (the nexus 7), I've set ap to orangeinternet to match the n9s settings, on n9 the ap uid/pwd are both blank....maybe I need something when using a remote app?

all help/comments very gratefully received! Thanks
I'm on EE/Orange, a Nexus 7 running cyanogenmod latest nightly, and an N9 that is open, incepted, etc. No ppp widget.

BLueVPN works for me. I had to enter some info after i connected the two together by bluetooth. In BlueVPN i had to go to the Settings menu, tick the Bluetooth Insecure Socket box, have *99***1# in the home number box, and have "orangeinternet" in the Access point box. Authentication is left as "password authentication". Then i had to EXIT BLUEVPN, not minimise but EXIT using the exit button, and then run it again, and then connect them together. Now, it works every time.

If an app, like say the mumsnet app, wont use BlueVPN's net to connect, i can usually use Chrome to access the site, rather than using the app, and it'l work well enough - though Google play will only let you browse, not download anything.

Last edited by leoniedelt; 2013-01-12 at 18:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to leoniedelt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leoniedelt View Post
I'm on EE/Orange, a Nexus 7 running cyanogenmod latest nightly, and an N9 that is open, incepted, etc. No ppp widget.

BLueVPN works for me. I had to enter some info after i connected the two together by bluetooth. In BlueVPN i had to go to the Settings menu, tick the Bluetooth Insecure Socket box, have *99***1# in the home number box, and have "orangeinternet" in the Access point box. Authentication is left as "password authentication". Then i had to EXIT BLUEVPN, not minimise but EXIT using the exit button, and then run it again, and then connect them together. Now, it works every time.

If an app, like say the mumsnet app, wont use BlueVPN's net to connect, i can usually use Chrome to access the site, rather than using the app, and it'l work well enough - though Google play will only let you browse, not download anything.
GENIUS!!! THANK YOU bluevpn just worked! Will tinker with ppp widget another day.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Scouse Mouse For This Useful Post:
Hope someone can advise.

Neither of the above solutions work for me. Not PPP and not BlueVPN. My Nexus 7 is rooted and have all the apps that are needed. It's running Android 4.2.2.

I tried it my wifes work phone (Iphone 4S) and it connects the Nexus 7 in seconds to infrastructure wifi, and I cannot even get OTG usb wire connection to work with my N9!!! The OTG works with drives etc, but not with the N9. OTG can't access the N9 64 gig memory at all.

PPP widget just reports modem port not found when I try to connect.

/Thanks

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
My Asus Transformer TF101 with Android 4.0.3 connects to Internet via N9 using both Bluetooth and WiFi ad-hoc.

Strange to see problems with another Asus tablet.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Nu1st Street, Iron Triange, Richmond, CA
Got BlueVPN for Nexus 4. We are a go via the N9. Thanks!
@martycollinsesq

I got BlueVPN to work after a lot of experimenting. At least simple browsing and my email clients work. Pretty nice for what it is. Reminds me of Amiga500 hacking decades ago.... Still no luck with PPP.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Zagreb, Croatia
Originally Posted by StefanS View Post
I got BlueVPN to work after a lot of experimenting. At least simple browsing and my email clients work. Pretty nice for what it is. Reminds me of Amiga500 hacking decades ago.... Still no luck with PPP.
Can you please describe how did you get BlueVPN work on 4.2.2?

Originally Posted by kskoda View Post
Can you please describe how did you get BlueVPN work on 4.2.2?
I did what was described earlier, filled in accesspoint in BlueVPN settings, in my case data.tre.se, from the network settings menu in the phone. Ticked the option BT insecure option in BlueVPN settings.

Rebooted the phone, switched on BT on the phone. Rebooted the Nexus and turned wifi off and then turned BT on and waited a bit, then I ran BlueVPN. After several tries, had to use exit button in BlueVPN after each failure, it suddenly just worked. Been running the connection for 14 hours now.

If you want true bluetooth tethering, I have compiled an open mode kernel with the necessary NAT and MASQUERADE modules. You can download the kernel and modules from my other post: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1329699

Then download the scripts from:
http://www.ctrl-h.net/nokia/harmattan/btpan/

I used a slightly modified version of the tether script posted by jschan from here:http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58570. This is the one I was using on N900.

Then I added some rules to udev for any bnep* device.

Added a slightly modified test-nap script (just changed the timeout to something like 11 days) as discovered by myself and madmo:
Originally Posted by madmo View Post
Ok, I got Bluetooth pan working on the n9.

After that I got pan working with the test-nap.py script from the bluez repo and the tether.sh script from another thread on maemo.org.

I have put all the files into this gist: https://gist.github.com/4133214
The nap server is run from /etc/init/apps.

So here are the steps:
  • Download my kernel and modules.
  • Depmod the modules
  • Flash the kernel.
  • Untar the btpan scripts under /
  • remove the "network" clause from DisablePlugins in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
  • Connect from other devices!

I have tethered both an iPod touch and Nexus 7 to my N9 and N950 at the same time. Works like a champ.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post: