Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by tso View Post
iirc, the difference between the governor are how fast they step down the cpu clock.

performance will lock it at max clock, while conservative will more or less lock it at min clock. closer to performance, faster jump to max clock and a more gradual down clock, closer to conservative and its more directly to min clock and a gradual increase in clock on load.
This is what I am looking for, so the 5 settings are actually 5 steps of grading, conservative = lowest while performance = highest. Thanks, I will start from here.... I would like to see if this in fact translates to any PRACTICAL difference in performance vs battery life, or just a bunch of BS :-|

bun

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, i may be interpreted them wrong, here is a document found in the kernel source:
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum.../governors.txt

oh, and lets not forget that nokia devs may have tuned the hell out of them as well...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
hmm, i may be interpreted them wrong, here is a document found in the kernel source:
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum.../governors.txt

oh, and lets not forget that nokia devs may have tuned the hell out of them as well...
In my understanding, ondemand is better for battery life on this platform (vs. conservative, as indicated in governors.txt); I seem to remember Igor indicating that, but not sure.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, could very well be as the omaps are SoC designs, so ondemand may allow for idle parts to clock down or turn of...

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Anyone getting information from Nokia that they will do nothing about this? I have seen a dozen emails on this in the past few days indicating Nokia's stance. They say it is fine, and good social responsibility?

Is there any dispute that leaving the charger plugged in year round wastes less than ten cents of electricity a year. Is Nokia stupid? I don't think they are, so why make a stupid statement like they have on our NiTs? Why channel Nobel Laureate Al Gore and his dumass movie?

FYI- Al Gore has a massive carbon footprint with all of his traveling and speaking engagements (and his house is massive and wastes massive amounts of energy). If he stayed home and skipped one public lecture (filled with misinformation) on global warming, he would save tens of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands or millions) of times the energy wasted when an N800 charger is left plugged in 24/7.

Nokia chargers are extremely efficient. There is no need to unplug them from the wall. There are many things that can be done to save energy at home and in the workplace that are far more beneficial. Look at the facts and stop posting this silly tree hugging mantra on my N800 screen each time I pull the DC plug from the jack.

By The Way- when the N800 is fully charged but still attached to the AC4U and I pull the AC4U from the wall, guess what the N800 says to me.... it tells me to pull the AC adapter from the wall, yet I already did that.

Please remove this silly message altogether from the next O/S.

You really have too much time on your hands, get over it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rassilon7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
They say it is fine, and good social responsibility?
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2285#c18

Is there any dispute that leaving the charger plugged in year round wastes less than ten cents of electricity a year.
This prompt in Maemo comes from a general Nokia policy, and Nokia says that typically two thirds of the energy that goes into a phone during its life is lost in this way. Other companies are doing something about it too.

Will this solve the environmental problems of Planet Earth? Probably not. Is this prompt more useful than useless? Probably yes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
Anyone getting information from Nokia that they will do nothing about this? I have seen a dozen emails on this in the past few days indicating Nokia's stance. They say it is fine, and good social responsibility?
No, they're not. Highly user-visible green activism is, apparently, an important part of their corporate strategy (the really effective stuff doesn't tend to catch consumer attention quite so readily when it's not slapped in their face repeatedly).

Oh well, it's not worth fighting a multi-billion dollar juggernaut with its head up its own ***. Better to move on to more productive pursuits, like using and testing yet another much better (and much less obnoxious) open source alternative to another of Nokia's closed-source jokes. So let's all install the awesome new Advanced Power and leave Nokia to its silliness.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
hmm, could very well be as the omaps are SoC designs, so ondemand may allow for idle parts to clock down or turn of...
Well, if you're using %1 CPU all the time, you'll get better battery life in ondemand because it's using less power at 165MHz than 400MHz. If you don't ever have any processes preventing the CPU from idling, then 400MHz may actually use less power.

Since it's rare that somebody goes forever without a process sucking up idle cycles, ondemand is a good compromise to keep processes from killing your device in 3 hours doing nothing.

The CPU op-mode and the cpufreq settings have no effect on the SoC's ability to idle components.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
This isn't a maemo / NIT issue. This is Corporate Policy, so you might as well not bother complaining about it. Either install Advanced Power, hack your tablet as qwerty12 suggests, or ignore the nag.

From Nokia's website:

Why you need to unplug your charger

You might wonder why your charger doesn’t have an off switch. Turning a charger off completely – so that is uses zero watts - can be only done using a hard switch. For safety reasons, we would have to put this switch on the charger block itself (the bit that plugs into the wall) not on the cable. It would be just as easy to unplug the charger as it would be to use this switch.

If, instead of a hard switch, we were to use an electrical switch there would always be some component connected to mains. So, although you might think you’d switched your charger off, it’s really on a kind of standby and could still be using around 20mW.

So that’s why we don’t put an on/off switch on our chargers at the moment. Instead, we encourage people to pledge to unplug their chargers, and incorporate reminders in our new phones.

We could make a charger that cuts out when the phone is full, but we’d need to add a lot of components to the charger to make it work. The environmental impact of doing this - in terms of the materials we would use and the energy it would take to produce them - would cancel out the benefits.

Also, as in the case of the on/off switch, it could mean the charger was still consuming energy when you thought it was off.

We’re working on finding a long term, sustainable solution and are testing and developing new technologies all the time.

Until then, we’ll keep making our chargers as efficient as possible, reducing the energy they consume, and encouraging people to unplug them when their phones are fully charged.