Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I'm giving my thesis defense Monday and want to videocast it to a few family members who were not able to come. I have no experience with multiple-recipient webcam transmission. What's the best way to do this?

PS Doesn't necessarily need to be with the N900, but bonus points for working that in.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Try QIK from Ovi Store repos.
Should do what you need, though it uses a web service.

EDIT: Here is link to it: http://store.ovi.mobi/content/22132

Last edited by phobosk; 2010-06-25 at 07:38.

Originally Posted by phobosk View Post
Try QIK from Ovi Store repos.
Should do what you need, though it uses a web service.

EDIT: Here is link to it: http://store.ovi.mobi/content/22132
Oops, no Thanks button in Off Topic.

That looks like it might work but TBH i was mostly kidding about the N900 as i need to have the camera sitting on a table don't have a tripod that works with the N900. Does the LiveCast service (i assume that's what QIC uses) allow the use of a webcam instead of a mobile phone?

It seems like there ought to be a generic way to do this (TCP/IP multicast stream?) considering how long webcams have been around, but i came up blank with a google. Maybe i'm not using the right terms?

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Oops, no Thanks button in Off Topic.
Does the LiveCast service (i assume that's what QIC uses) allow the use of a webcam instead of a mobile phone?
Yes, qik works just fine from a standard computer with a webcam. It's just a flash application. Very easy to use.

To follow up, i used Ustream (ustream.tv) after seeing a comment on Qik in Ovi that it wasn't as good as Ustream. The good news is that my thesis was approved by the committee; the bad news is that, in spite of a successful test on Friday, the ustream webcast on Monday was only smooth enough to understand for 1 out of 8 or 9 viewers.

Tags
videocast